Register now to get rid of these ads!

History How many of you remember the HIGH & MIGHTY???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuces, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Deuces

Deuces

Took some pictures of it today as the crew were rolling it off the trailor..... And then they fired it up! :D That thing sounded sweet with those megaphone pipes! :)

Attached Files:

2. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

That´s a brute

3. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

4. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

One of my favorites from HotRod's coverage during high school... hope the goon who owns the "ramcharger" name doesn't give them a hard time.

5. ScottV

ScottV

I always thought that was a C:cool::cool:L car. What did it run, I have never seen numbers for it. Thanks ScottV

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  6. First time I remember seeing that car I was in 1966 in Hot Rod Magazine and I was in the library at T.L. Hanna High School.

It made a impression on me,,at the time I remember thinking it was ugly,,today it has grown on me as I matured,,I still don't think is pretty but I sure think it is cool. HRP

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  7. Deuces

Deuces

Here's a few more.... The owner was nice enough to almost let me crawl around the inside of the car.... This is RAMCHARGERS history here guys... :D :)

Attached Files:

8. Deuces

Deuces

I have a lot more Mopar pics from where those came from.... You guys want to see more??? :)

9. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Yup, 1954...John Wayne starred portraying co-pilot Dan Roman in an east-bound DC-4 from Hawaii. Big John finally had to knock some sense into the Captain, Robert Stack, to keep him from wimpin'-out and ditching into the Pacific because #1 engine was hangin'-on by mere threads and the fuel was goin' overboard. The flight engineer couldn't get his fuel figures together either because...............OOOOOOOOOOHHHH, you mean that cool old MOPAR that caught everyones attention with the wildest intake and exhaust ever glued onto a race car. Never mind! DD

10. Deuces

Deuces

Here's a little update for ya's....... The HIGH & MIGHTY was just on the local news not even a minute ago... I ended leaving early 'cause it was gettin' a little too warm... :(

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Yeah I remember reading about it. I did not like it. I thought it was the first R.R.. I thought the exhaust looked silly. They couldn't radius the rear fenders?

Yeah it has become a milestone car but I thought it looked stupid when it came out. If you can go fast enough I guess it doesn't matter. The ugly looks is part of the appeal I guess.

12. Scott K

Scott K

yes

13. Deuces

Deuces

Ok! Give me a few to sort these out.....

14. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Well? We're waiting................................ ;)

15. Zerk

Zerk

Engineering mules are ugly for the reason of expediency; why take the time to make it pretty if it is going to get thrashed on? Engineers have a different scale of beauty than the rest of us, I think.

16. Deuces

Deuces

Sorry about that! I had to re-boot the 'puter... So much for WEB TV huh? :( Here's the pics... Most of these are MAX WEDGE and later HEMI cars....

Attached Files:

17. Deuces

Deuces

Still have more on the way......

18. Deuces

Deuces

Here's a few more.....

Attached Files:

19. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

I don't think that is the original "High & Mighty"

20. Larry T

Larry T

It was a little before my time and I can't recall an et either. I'd kind of like to know too.
    Larry T

21. Scott K

Scott K

Covered in depth on the HAMB in years past. but the Cliff notes version is that it's a recreation built using some of the original parts by some of the original members

22. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

I seen the origional one at the 1960 NHRA Nationals, the picture still is in my mine, quit a car. Way ahead of its time.

23. Larry T

Larry T

I guess I didn't look hard enough.
    Larry T

Originally run in gray primer, the Plymouth was painted white in 1960 when Mason’s Plymouth-Valiant of Ferndale, Mich., stepped up to sponsor it.

In two years, the High & Mighty set NHRA class records for top quarter-mile elapsed time (12.62 seconds) and speed (109.75 mph). Its best-ever quarter-mile times were 11.8 seconds and 117 mph.

24. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

made some wood spacers many years ago
    had these made by dashman here on hamb

Attached Files:

25. ironpile

ironpile

I was there the day it first ran at Detroit dragway,awsome.

26. Deuces

Deuces

I still have over 250 pics to post + the ones I'll be taking tomorrow and Sunday..... I'll start a new thread for those on Monday.. I'll try and locate some H.A.M.B. "friendly" cars and take some pictures of those.... There were a bunch on Woodward today, cruisin' around.. Hope I can find their hangout...

27. Deuces

Deuces

Was the original one involved in a accident or something???

28. Larry T

Larry T

The article that I found the et's in said it was parted out.
    Larry T

29. Deuces

Deuces

If your in Motown this weekend, come check this thing out. You'll never forget this experience. :) The Plymouth and Dodge cars are at the Northwood Shopping Center on 13 Mile Rd. and Woodward Ave. Time for me to jump in my drop top and head on out. :D.......Later! :)

30. I don't know if it was in the "high and mighty" or a different car, but the driver (one of the original r
    Ramchargers)did die from burns from an accident on a track.