Register now to get rid of these ads!

Here's salt in your eye....and fender, and floorpans....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RoscoeFink, Aug 19, 2010.

1. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

I've been scraping Bonneville Salt off my Lincoln. Nothing unusual; but this year it's been going on for the last 2 days.....and I'm only about 1/3 of the way done.

The salt this year is ALOT thicker, stickier, and harder than previous years! It's worse than 4-5 years ago when the salt was all flooded.

I've resorted to using an actual hammer and chissel. My wheels are off, and the ol' girl's up on Jackstands in the driveway.

Like I said, I'm only 1/3 of the way done, and I'm at at LEAST 5 lbs. of salt! All I can figure is it was the wind storm friday night, but I don't know.

But I'll tell you this: I sure am envious of you Kats driving 30's lakesters right now.

Anybody else having a harder time than usual clearing off the salt?

2. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Quityerbitchen!! At least you made it to the salt! :D

3. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

what he said

4. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!:D Sounds like time to break out the garden hose & sprinkler.Just turn it on , move it ever once in a while, leave it under there over nite. Worked for me & my Malibu several yrs. ago.

5. wah wah bragging or bitching?

6. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

Last time I used the hose was my first year. It rotted out my quaeterpanels.
    -Better salt than rust, you know.

7. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

I won't be surprised if I get crap for this but if you have to remove something that is really caked on there, take a piece of 2 by 4 and cut it 4 inches long then soak it for a little, just to soften it up, then strap it on real well to an impact wrench and go to town but be prepared to deal with a little bit of denting. Just remember, the softer, the less damage BUT the more time... Plus I am with the other guys, I want to go so bad. :(

I realized I forgot to say that this is gone on the inside of the panels. I had to do it for some HEAVY bondo work.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  8. lorodz

lorodz

hey when ya done scrapin the salt off ya car put some in a jar and send it to me ,,,

9. big creep

big creep

i never been to the salt but i will make it one of these years. you are having to pound out the salt out of you ride. cant you just power wash that stuff out? just wondering, or does it have the consistency of freshly laid asphalt? i have done that before when i was in high school, i had to use gasoline to get it out of under the fender!

10. Power washing shoves it deep into crevices. When I got back I just spent a couple of hours with the hose nozzle on a medium flow. Went round the car many times spraying all around underneath. I put it up on my buddies lift to see how it looked. I only missed a couple of tiny chunks.

I did have trouble getting it out of my carpet though. Your right the consistency this year was a little damp and sticky.

11. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

A lawn sprinkler on low pressure and leave it on ALL day under the car and it will slowly "rinse" it off......By the way, in about 2 to 3 weeks you will still have a GIANT chunk drop off the car in a parking lot.

Chris

Oh yea, the sprinkler method will KILL your grass........so do it next to the street.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I was just going to post the same thing Chris above me posted! I went out on th salt the week before speed week in 2005 with the Plymouth and ended up being drafted to help set things up! I washed the car down real well that night in Twin Falls Idaho, but pulling into my buddy's shop in Ilwaco, Washington two days later I went over the speed bump pulling in and it looked like it snowed! There is still chunks of Bonneville salt in his display case in the shop!

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

This year was my easiest, I think. I went heavy on this stuff similar to Salt Away, called Salt Blaster. The evening I got home I detailed it thoroughly (about 3 hrs worth) and I was really pleased the way everything came off.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  14. sr

sr
    from Monterey

The salt this year is the best it has been in years. If you dont like it on your car, stay off the salt and stay at the hotel. Ride a bike. Stop bitching. Give me a break.

15. firingorder1

firingorder1

We got back yesterday after 5 days on the salt and there is very little salt (compared to 07) on the RV. I took the hose to it today and I washed off maybe 15 lbs of salt. No biggie. It doesn't seem to be too sticky this year. Haven't done the interior yet bet again there isn't much salt in there either. Anyway I left with two record certs in my pocket so Ireally don't give a shit about a few pounds of salt.

16. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

17. A23

A23
    from Hollywood

Nice!!!

Care to give some details?

18. big creep

big creep

your the jackass who left that stupid comment on car crash in burbank thread saying" fuck the people, fix that poor car!" you are like school in the summer time, NO CLASS AT ALL! you know someone almost died! not funny at all! sorry for highjacking here guys.

19. ditto!

20. firingorder1

firingorder1

Sidecar class. 500 SC/PG (pushrod gas) upped the record from 98 to 119 and 500 SC/PF upped from 101 to 117 with a best 2 1/4 of 125.715 and best of all NOTHING BROKE !!!! (except my wallet).

21. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

Exactly. Surprizing too, considering how dry it's been this summer.....

22. big creep

big creep

someone else, sorry. the dude who i quoted is a jackass. some dude almost died in a car crash and he left a comment on this thread. sorry.

23. I'm sure that was directed at the mouthy little punk "bloodandmotoroil".

Here are a couple salt removal/prevention threads

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452546

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126240

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500031

This is one that had my attention from last year

Posted by jangleguy

The guys I'm crewing for had the Salt Away mailed to them. I found out about that stuff AFTER power washing the salt deep into my car. Been battling it for two years now and have lost the war - gotta pull the body off and start over

24. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

All the bitchin, griping and braggin and not one freeking picture. DAMN!!!!!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Like I told the kid, "Your music's not too loud, its just like OKC, it sucks!"

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

its the global warming effect on salt........hahahahahahaaa

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey, I just thought of some thing. I used to run midgets on the dirt tracks with a buddy of mine a few years back, and traditional between race prep included hosing everything down with a coat of WD40. It kept the mud from sticking to everything in sight. I wonder if it could do a similar service with salt? At least maybe keep the big chunks down....

27. big creep

big creep

good question? we would do that with the 4x4 the mud would come right off too. then we would spray it to leave a nice shiny coat after! the great thing is it would clean all the grease off the frame. i had a small oil leak, the road grime would stick to the oil. WD40 would take it right off!

28. BIG RIC

BIG RIC

I went in 2003. Did the WD-40 before i drove out there, did the sprinkler thing for bout 12 hrs. then got paranoid and put it up on jackstands and pulled fenders and runnin boards. there was very little salt between fenders and body. it was all worth it. i cant wait to go back!

29. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

Hey chief, I have a whole thread for my photos from this year:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503686

HAHAHAHA!!!!

Could work! I've heard of people coating their car with Linseed Oil. A fellow Grave Robber sprayed his whole rusty-jalopy with clearcoat, and tha's worked for a few years now.