Register now to get rid of these ads!

PCV question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32Rules, Aug 19, 2010.

1. 32Rules

32Rules

Just finished polishing my corvette valve covers, so I put a 69 z28 intake on my 64 327. I installed the valley baffle and the cap that has a hose bulb on it. The question is do I need a pcv valve between the cap and the carberator? And if I do, what PCV valve has a hose bulb on both ends?
    I have a push on breather cap on the stock style oil filler tube on the other end of the intake manifold.
    Thanks in advance!!
    Steve

2. Yes I alway use one. Even in my race engines (Even those runnnig 8 seconds 1/4)believe it or not. There are several inline types . Some fords had that in the seventies. Six cylinders I believe. Also think some buicks if memory serves me. Get an old parts book and go to the pictorial secton. FV170 comes to mind for some reason. That is a Fram number. i might be off on that but it comes to mind so it could be right. must be some reason it is there.
    Don

3. ride00007

ride00007
    from Illinois

I went to Autozone and they have a pretty good wall display to look through. I found one that was nickel plated and had a 5/16 barb on one end and threads on the other. The threaded end was actually a good fit inside the hose. Seems to be working well as a barb for me right now. Anyway... it's at least a place to check.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It took me a minute to figure out what you were saying but the answer is yes you definitely need a pcv valve in that line to the carb/manifold or you have just created a vacuum leak. I'd do as Dolmestch suggested and get one that goes in the line. That way you can just cut the hose and put the pcv valve in the line and you are done.

5. 32Rules

32Rules

Thanks and sorry m description of the problem wasnt clear.
    That is just what I thought but ater thrashing on the car for about 5 hours and spending over an hour at the auto store with a clerk who said there never was such an animal, I knew you guys could help.
    Thanks again.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Chevrolet used a screw in PCV valve into the carb base. If you carb base hase a large vacuum opening, this is what you want.

[​IMG]

This is the model that screws into the vacuum source. There is a similar one that screws into the oil filler tube but the flow direction is backwards on that one. I always check the air flow direction by blowing through it.

7. 32Rules

32Rules

Wow Thanks