Register now to get rid of these ads!

What A/C to use in a 51 Mercury???????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by temper_mental, Aug 18, 2010.

1. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I looked into A/C units I called 2 places and they were not able so sell me on their product and I am ready to buy. Any help will be appreciated I have 3 options feel free to let me know if I should buy or run or even look else wear.

~Vintage Air 1100.00
    ~Old Air Products 1100.00 no shipping local
    ~Southern Air 829.95

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

~Wind down the window 0000.00, free postage.

Doc.

3. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

vintage air. have used their product many times in the past.

4. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

My wife likes her A/C I like to keep her happy.

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, thats a fair call. Fundage controller needs to be happy.

Doc.

6. My 51 came with a Vintage Air unit in it when I got it. The unit is 15 years old (uses 134a) and has been working well in the 100+ degree heat. The biggest downside is that it takes up the space of the glove box....so no more gloves. ;)

I also put a Vintage Air unit in another car about 10 years ago. It was easy to install and worked well.

7. Old Skool Rodder

Old Skool Rodder

I would go with the local option for two reasons:
    1. It's local, and if you have any issues you can talk to them face to face.
    2. Same price as Vintage, and you don't have to deal with the idiots at the other place... FYI his stuff comes from Ft. Worth Texas...........so it ain't really "his"............

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that between the three it depends on =
    Which kit has everything you need to do the install without having to hunt down extra items.
    Who has the best neck to get your grabbers around if something isn't right.
    Which unit is the best fit for the car. I'm getting to where I hate "universal" anything for a car that isn't one of those cross things that goes in the driveshaft.

It was 99 here today when I got home and working ac in a vehicle sounds like a damned good idea.

And I gather that Doc Watson is probably single.

9. daddio211

daddio211

I'd run from Southern Air!

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, but I think we are just a little different over here. Its winter here and only 28*C (80ishF?), so its far from air con weather......at the moment. May have swayed my answer, but......

Doc.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've hauled my wife around in the 48 with no ac for over half of our 41 year marriage and I think she has earned the right to ride with the ac on when it goes back together this time as the first long trip will be to Central Texas.

12. barqsnut

barqsnut
    from Pearl, MS

Vintage Air, hands down.

13. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

just tell her to stuff her panties with an ice pack and open the wing window lol ;P

14. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

I personally dont like the look of any of the newer A/C stuff, so what I did was buy a 65 Mustang under dash unit, a compressor off ebay, and condensor, lines, evaporoator, bracket and binary switch from Nostalgic Air, and it works GREAT, Ice cold. The 64-66 Mustang units, in my oppinion are the nicest units, they look the most "traditional".

The whole set up cost me about $600, and thats only because the flathead bracket was $225.

Heres what the 65 Mustang Unit look like..
    [​IMG]

15. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

I have to consider AC in my Merc because GA is like living in the swamp. Can you provide more details on your setup? Running a flattie also.

16. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I would go with Vintage Air :D and did !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The owner of Vintage Air ( Jack Chisenhall ) is a HAMBER ... and his stuff works. Good product and GREAT customer service ...

The photos show a Vintage Air setup installed in my 1932 Ford coupe. As you can see ... it is almost not even seen ... behind the dash and I even have the stock, original metal 32 Ford glove box.

:eek:

17. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

Check out nostalgic air , 813-413-8420

18. big creep

big creep

yea im not crazy about this look! here you either have a/c or you dont. you guys in the south are brave to go without a/c, at least with vintage air you dont see the unit. and dont go with the billet vent thats just looks like crap, but thats just me!

19. Mercchev

Mercchev

Vintage Air in my 51 Merc for the last 14 years. Works like a champ. Vintage Air has great stuff and great customer service.

20. ride00007

ride00007
    from Illinois

Just bought the rest of my a/c stuff in Louisville. I'm installing it now. I bought the Vintage Air Gen II compac. I'll have some feedback in a few days on how it works but so far, the installation has been a breeze. Instructions are good. Called tech support aboout drier location and they were very friendly. Good warranty.
    Already mentioned above... stay away from Southern Air. A friend saved a little money by using one of their systems and the compressor went bad and his entire system is full of debris and now he has to run some kind of additional filter. They were not helpful in this situation at all. And I should also mention that when I was picking out my components to buy for my system at the Nats... I was literally chased away from their booth. Yelled at too by the owner. He was upset because I was trying to get a display louver to actually rotate/turn. I thought that prospective customers were supposed to be able to touch the displays there? Anyway... essentially he sold me on vintage air. Do some searching on here and I think you'll find that Vintage Air may be a little higher in price but there are virtually no complaints.

21. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Got the same unit for my '54 Customline,did you change to 134A? I need to have the liquid line made up after I get the interior done.

22. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Yeah, im running 134A, I didnt change anything except put flare to O-Ring adaptors on the evaperator fittings.

23. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

I dont know whats not to like about the look, its a traditional unit and looks the part, but to each his own I guess. This flows with the look of my car more than any other A/C stuff I looked at.

24. big creep

big creep

i just dont think that set up works with every car, it just looks bulky to me. looks good in a mustang, but thats about it. just my 2 cents. but if you like it, by all means use it.

25. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Thats understandable, but you dont see the whole unit, all you see is the chrome bezel, the rest is under the dash... I'll post pictures of my set up tomorrow.

26. aaggie

aaggie

Another vote for Vintage Air. They are in San Antonio, Texas and know how to deal with heat.
    Have you seen their Studebaker running at Bonneville at 200+ with the AC on?

27. Wolfie

Wolfie

No doubt! Vintage Air in my '50 Olds is EXCELLENT!!! Have experienced outside temps of 100 plus here in the Az desert and never crank it up past "2"!!! Works OUTSTANDING!!!

Wolf

28. Old Skool Rodder

Old Skool Rodder

Tom Joseph who owns that shit hole is a self righteous JACK ASS! I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire! I was in the store earlier this year and overheard him talking about a customer to some overgrown brat, i think he said his name is shawn, and that little midget bastard i think his name is carey, is about as useless as a screen door on a submarine!

29. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I wanted to buy Vintage Air but they wanted me to measure my dash area to get the right kit. Also the loss of the glove box helped me make my decision (CHL state). I went with the Old Air Product. Tony was very helpful and was knowledgeable about the make and model. To top it off, we get to keep the glove box.

Thanks