Register now to get rid of these ads!

options for a flattie radiator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tracer55, Aug 19, 2010.

1. tracer55

tracer55
    from ohio

OK I am wanting to change my small block out in my Model A coupe that sits on 32 rails to a Flathead that I have. What are my options as far as a Radiator? I know that Walker can probably make one but would rather not have to take out a second mortgage to pay their prices. What is everybody else using these days?
    Thanks

2. bobscogin

bobscogin

I was faced with the same decision on the flathead powered '29 Ford rpu I have under construction. Searched every possible option, repair-ability, considered pricing, reputation of the various suppliers, posted on the forums, laid awake at night, tossed and turned, agonized, etc. Finally ordered an aluminum radiator from PRC -- $458. My gut feeling tells me that a copper/brass Walker may have been "better" or maybe not, but at nearly $800 I'll take my chances on a PRC.

Bob

3. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

i just got a stock 32-34 v8 car or truck radiator. cost me 125 dollars on egay.

4. bikeguydave

bikeguydave
    from Kentucky

LMC truck sells one for $299.00

5. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I know your trying to avoid the cost but I have a Walker in my '47 and it stays cool on the hottest days even in traffic with a mechanical fan. My dad was able to buy one for his A with a flatty and a deuce grille shell ready to bolt in. They make nice stuff.

6. tracer55

tracer55
    from ohio

So are you having the stock one reconditioned?
    Is the one from LMC for a 1932 grill shell and is it Aluminum or Brass?

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Buy a junk old stocker at a swapmeet for $50-$100... Remove the rad bracketry and top half of the top tank... Install it on a $100 V8 mustang radiator. Add an inlet and outlet... Done... It's the perfect height for an A on a '32 frame, about 2.5" lower than a stock deuce rad. There's a door that folds down above the inlets to access the rad cap, fill it with a funnel through the stock filler neck into the mustang filler below. Even fools the hardcore early V8 guys!;):cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. tracer55

tracer55
    from ohio

Now that the kinda stuff I am talking about.
    Cool idea, sounds like a plan. Did you do anything to the bottom Mustang tank other than adding another outlet?
    About what did the shop charge you for the modifications?

9. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Just added the outlet and the stock '32 bracketry. I did everything in my own garage with a roll of radiator solder and an ox/acetylene torch, I had a few junky old radiators laying around to scavenge inlet/outlets from.