Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spray gun cleaner ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob 1743, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

What's a cost effective product to clean/flush a gun after using a 2 part epoxy DTM prime?

Thanks,
    Bob

2. Deuces

Deuces

Lacquer thinner.

3. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

x2, but I always disassemble when cleaning catalyzed products.

4. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

MY local Binks rep talked me outta lacquer thinner and into acetone. It really is no more expensive and is one heck of a solvent. Be aware though that epoxy paint is soooo sticky that you still need to use brushes to scrub it off your metal parts using the solvent to dissolve the paint.

5. 48CHEV

48CHEV
    from SEATTLE

I just found a product called Naked Gun by Kleen strip, I bought it at the local paint supply. I was amazed, the epoxy ran out of the gun, even the dried areas.

6. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

good ole laquer thinner, just make sure you clean it immediatley after you spray, it's alot easier.

7. HotRod31

HotRod31

x2 on the acetone.

Later, Mark

8. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I go to Walmart, Orielly, or the Dollar Store and buy cheap spray carburetor cleaner. One spray can of this cleaner will clean your gun several times. Probably not good for the enviroment but it cleans good. I have been doing this for some time and it does not appear to hurt the gun or the gun seals. I dissassemble my guns for cleaning each time I used them. An older painter than me told me to do this and it works.

John

9. pdq67

pdq67

I presented this Missouri state air pollution control rule at public hearing and later got it adopted a while back, "10 CSR 10-5.300" and I have to say the all time spray-gun cleaning VOC solvent is Methylene Chloride, but it's almost completely outlawed.

pdq67

10. strawberry

strawberry

egg heads have ruined us, lacquer thinner or acetone works fine, when doing automotives I used thinner , when doing planes or boats I used both soooo , take your pick,

11. lil av8

lil av8

i find acetone evaporates too fast for my liking lacquer thinner works good i paint 4 or 5 a day at work clean gun the minute i walk outta booth gun only has clear in it for bout 20 mins makes real easy clean up my color gun is waterbased not sure how many of you guys using that at home

12. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Acetone, Sherwin Williams has a spray gun cleaner that works great as well, careful, acetone is highly flammable and can go up from evaporation.

13. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

STUPID QUESTION HERE....

When you talk about cleaning the gun, your talking about the spray tip/nozzle and needle rite?

14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I do a first flush with the reducer for the epoxy, I don't think lacquer thinner does the best job on cleaning epoxies out. I do the second and third flush with lacquer thinner, after the epoxy reducer did it's job. If being dissassembled, I scrub/soak them in thinner.

15. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I found this old thread while searching for a good paint gun cleaner. I have a Sharpe 775 I bought from an old painter almost 20 years ago. It was well used back then and I've been using it occasionally since I bought it to spray everything from epoxy primers to urethanes and common hardware store oil enamels with hardeners. Every time I use it I flush it out with lacquer thinner and wipe off the outside with a rag soaked with lacquer thinner. That's the extent of my cleaning procedure so over the years the gun has accumulated multi layers of different types of paint. The other day I sprayed a project and got a pretty crappy finish so I decided it was time for a good cleaning and rebuild. I took the gun apart and soaked for over two days in lacquer thinner. The paint started to soften but there was still a lot that was really stuck on.

I did the search and saw the recommendation for Naked Gun, did another search and found my local hardware store carried it. I went down today to get some but although they carry Kleen Strip products they didn't have Naked Gun. They did however have another product for cleaning paint guns called Clean-n-Dip. The first thing I noticed on the label was that it from a company called Back to Nature, and it was a "Safer spray gun & parts cleaner/paint remover". Oh boy, another green product that isn't going to work. I bought it anyways because the paint guy at the hardware store said it was suppose to work better than lacquer thinner. A gallon cost $22. I came back to my shop and soaked the gun and parts in this stuff and it loosened the paint completely off in about 4-5 hours. I did use a stiff brush to agitate the gunk but only in the tight spots. The bottle says to it may take minutes or overnight. My gun was pretty back and now it looks almost as good as new.

[​IMG]

http://www.ibacktonature.com/Pages/cleanndip-TD.html

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Reducer. It just works.

17. MP&C

MP&C

At my previous employer we had one of the Safety Kleen spray gun cleaners. When I set up my home shop, being a part time venture I didn't have the volume for a service contract with them, but a call to our local rep, he had some reconditioned machines for sale. I liked the performance of the machine, so I bought one. They use a strong laquer thinner as the solvent in their machines. It's worked well cleaning anything I've sprayed, including epoxy...

[​IMG]

18. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

I use brake cleaner for cleaning my spray guns after I use xylene to cut the tough stuff.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  19. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

The Clean-n-Dip costs about as much as lacquer thinner here. I think it works a lot better, doesn't have a smell and seems to be a lot easier on skin than lacquer thinner. The lable also says it's not contaminated by paint, just strain it out with a screen filter like you use in the kitchen. You can also use it to flush out the gun after use. Oh yeah, it has a low evaporation.