Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wheel trim ring fit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Van Dyke, May 10, 2010.

1. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

I've always had at least one of the 4 trim rings not fit well. Rattles and such. Anyone have a trick to making them fit better? Seem to remember using tape on the wheel before popping them in. Any suggestions?

2. I use foam weatherstripping (the kind with adhesive on the back) applied to the backside of the trim ring. The ring fits better and no problems with rattles! The foam weatherstripping is available in different widths at any home improvement store (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) at very reasonable prices. Use needle-nose pliers to adjust the "tangs" on the trim ring to insure a tight fit.

Jim

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Squirt some clear silicone under it...it won't rattle and it won't come off...accidentally...!!!!

R-

4. mj40's

mj40's

I have one that rotates an inch or so after driving it for awhile.

5. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Thanks for the tips guys.

6. cretin

cretin

I'm not sure if this is what made the difference, but here is my experience.
    Had a customer complain his trim rings were rattling and we had some extra ones laying around so I swapped them out. I noticed that the tabs on the ones that rattled stuck out straight, and all the ones on the quiet ones were bent a bit towards the outside of the rim. I was thinking that with them bent that way they hold tight into the rim a bit better.
    Does that make sense?

7. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

makes sense, the tips were bent out to grip the wheel better. thanks

8. hihorse

hihorse
    from Orting, WA

Sorry this is so late, but FYI.

I use bicycle inner tubes cut in half, then cut out two 6 inch sections of the tube and install under the gripper claws on opposing sides. I wanted to have full moons on my travel trailer steelies. Without the tubes, the wheels flexed and the caps would come loose. The rubber padding cushions between the wheel and cap and the caps stay put.