Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car Crash In Burbank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by <FANG>, Aug 15, 2010.

1. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

Speedy recovery to all involved
    glad to see there are helpfull people in this world

to people who put a extinguisher in there car
    fire extinguishers need maintenance expically in a car
    you need to Tip your extinguisher on occasion
    being in a car it compacts the powder faster than hanging on a wall
    than it will not work
    you turn extinguisher upside down with ear on extinguisher and listen for powder to fall

saw a corvette burn to the ground he had a extinguisher that was not maintained

Sorry to get to far off topic just want to remind all tools need matinace

And again glad that everyone involved is ok
    Paul Jug

2. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Why not put your self in that BURNING CAR .. and not get out
    Time for this guy to be BANNED ....

3. Tommy R

Tommy R

Clearly Bloodandmotoroil is way out of line here. People are ALWAYS more important than cars. Does that really need to be said?!?

Back on track here, kudos and thanks to the self-less people who stepped up to help a perfect stranger in a critical, life-threatening situation. We need more people in this world who are willing to take such action.

4. For once we agree:)

5. As important as a fire extinguisher is, it would have been of no use in a fire like that. That was a conflagration

6. I was one of the first on the scene at a drag racing accident that collected a civilian car in Massapequa in 1981 on Merrick Road. The car that got took out was on its roof and on fire. I still remember it was a Nova. Me and another guy helped the people out of the car, a man and woman. They were more shook up than anything. We got them to the sidewalk and the gas tank blew. I still have the 3rd degree burns on my left arm from the shower of burning gas.

The cops showed up right after that and asked me and the other guy to stick around. I was driving my sister's Buick GS and I was worried that it would get damaged, I got into it to move it and kept going. I'm glad everyone was alright, that's the main thing.

Bob

7. RG49MERC

RG49MERC
    BANNED

if you are trying to be funny..its not..he could have died if not for the people who risk they own lifes to help..YOU ARE A-HOLE for saying that..hope you get banned..

8. TexasDart

TexasDart

That is a another good point....no door handles that could be an issue if you do not have power to the solonoids..and no one can open it from the outside..yep another reason not to shave door handles..check..

9. I never gave that a thought, even scarier. Tough enough to do with the door handles intact!

Bob

10. Here's a link to a page with the video if the above doesn't work (didn't for me).

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/strangers-save-man-from-burning-car-video-23566.html

Also, a photo gallery showing just how much the rear of the car got smashed.

http://lang.dailynews.com/photos/photos.asp?a=1058363#id=1058363&num=0

11. He was knocked approximately 75 ft. from point of impact, which is why you don't' see any other cars in the picture

Funny you should mention that. Very recently a well known magazine publisher decided to mess with the fuel system on a project car. Well one thing led to another and it caught fire under the hood. His wife was in the car and didn't know how to operate the hidden switches and there was no outside door handle. It took a few minutes to figure out that she couldn't get out before he opened the door. Now imagine if the electrics had burned up and the solenoids wouldn't work!!

I think a big enough fire extinguisher, particularly Halon would have worked. Remember that in order for a fire to burn you need three things, heat, a burnable material, and air. Remove any one and no more fire. There was plenty of material (the gas in the tank), and the heat had been induced so either remove the air via Halon or smothering, or remove the heat via water. As for conflagration, it just means an uncontrolled fire that threatens life, health or property - and this fire was controllable given the proper tools.

If that is your idea of a joke, you're a bit of a fool. If you are serious then you need to fuck off and die.

12. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Thanks Chicken for the links. Amazing that the guy was saved. Makes me think of not only fire extinguisers, but of third brake lights. What a shame, glad he's OK
    Jim

13. Kramer

Kramer

Saw the video on one of the morning shows this morning. They interviewed the guy. He has some burns of course and some busted up ribs. He was getting around pretty good and was in good spirits, and of course was real grateful to those that pulled him out.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

what was distracting the driver that caused them to rear end this Hot Rod so hard? (or at all)

investigation?

this was not caused by the location of the hot rod or its fuel tank..it was caused by someone distracted behind the wheel of a potential killing machine , no matter what type of car they hit..

this could have well been any modern day car hit, with results like this, when some ass hat is driving with their head up their ass , thats when shit like this happenes plain and simple.

so glad everyone got out, and so thankful for the good people out there who jumped in to help , completely disreguarding their own safety

15. There is a black button for this kind of intellect,,:mad: HRP

[​IMG]

Or this might be better,,,

Bloodandmotoroil [​IMG]
    BANNED

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  16. switchkid0

switchkid0

The fire aside, compare the damage between the "safe" car that did the rear-ending, and the "dangerous" hot rod. Crazy. What's the speed limit there? And too, what could have been distracting the other driver? GPS, Satellite radio, LCD TV?
    I still believe that driving an old piece of iron makes you a better driver. Fewer distractions, and always on the lookout for assholes.

17. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

wow.. scary.
    i did notice that people had a problem opening the door. also if body was so tweaked, maybe they buckled too?

wonder what the other driver was doing just before impact.?

18. badshifter

badshifter

Bob is still in hospital recovering, most serious part is broken vertebrae. The car is totalled ( I know, anything can be rebuilt-not the point) Here are pics from today. They estimate the speed of impact at 40mph. Feel free to fuck right off bloodandmotoroil. The bystanders saved his life, no question. Look at the interior picture.

Attached Files:

19. big creep

big creep

wow thats bad!

20. No not really crazy at all. The "safe" car is designed to crumple like that so the occupants don't end up with things like broken vertibrae due to their bodies absorbing the impact rather than the car.

I totally agree with the fewer distractions in older cars though. All these new technologies in cars just give the idiots more shiney lights and knobs to play with rather than focus on driving.

I assume the kid was in the other car. I wonder if the driver was too busy paying attention to what the kid was doing rather than what they were doing.

All in all a very fortunate outcome. Cars can be replaced people can't.

21. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Unbelievable story. Downright makes the hair stand up on my neck and arms seeing the video though. WOW! Some good people saving that guy no matter what the cost. Nice work. Unreal.

22. Thanks Groucho for bringing up a good point.I was considering shaving the door handles on my '50 but I am definetly going to keep the door handles after watching that video.

23. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

That was scary. Being a retired fire fighter/fire official. The way it looks is that car took one hard hit and any car with the tank in the rear would have had the same outcome. If that car was stopped and it ended up traveling across the intersection and onto the other side of the street. I would say that the people that hit him was well over the speed limit.

After looking at that film is was a good think that the car was was pushed away from the impact. All that fuel seen burning on the road would have been under that car an rescue may have not happen because of the heat and flames. I also notice that there was a fire extinguisher used on the engine compartment that did buy the rescuer so more time to get him out.

Thank god that there were some people around to help get him out of the car. Because if everyone would have waited until the Fire Department got there it would have been a different outcome. See that rescue and how hard they worked to get him out make me feel good that there still are people out there that would risk there safety to help others. The are Heroes and have the right to feel good about what they did. My hat goes off to them.

I hope they find out how did the rescue so that the guy can thank them. I think that is what he wants to do.

As for the statement about "F the people." That statement not funny and will never be funny. Well all I can say, seeing the bad of fire calls and having a 2 year old die in your arms as your trying to get them out of a burning house. I hope you never have to deal with lose do to fire. I do no know you but with that statement I know I do not like you and hope we never cross paths. Because I am sure you would have a new A hole when I get done with you.

I also think you need to apologize to every one on this site and you need to do it in this thread!

24. My thoughts on the distance the car travelled?

Lots of folks pop it into Neutral at a stoplight, that would explain that thing 75 feet away spun out. I also agree he was lucky he was not on top of all that spilled gas. Looking at the pictures I am impressed at how LITTLE impact damage there is.

Wish the hotrodder a speedy recovery. Trent

25. big creep

big creep

the question should be are you running a/c? cause i always roll with my windows down! so they can reach in and open the door from the inside! but if the door gets tweaked, it does not matter if you have door handles cause it will still be a bitch to open the car door. yes no?

lets just hope none of us get into a bad car crash. be safe everyone!

26. But, we are car folk. The average good samaritan that stops along the road most likely have no clue which way to turn 32 Ford handles or push the button on 54 Chevy handles, most all modern cars are pull type.

27. flynstone

flynstone

bloodandmotoroil......did the better half of your brain drip down your daddys leg when he left the kennel he met your mother at...............you are a peice of work

28. anybody have pics of the car before the accident..........damn that vid was nasty I forwarded it to alotta guys here intown to see what can happen,maybe they will look at the saftey gear in thier cars...............

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Needing something to cut a seat belt with, is a big plus in situations like this..

30. I'll second that,, HRP