Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Rich, maybe you should go re-read some of your old '60's HRMs. Rickman and Baskerville nonwithstanding, there was some pretty good writing in the tech articles. Now, compare it to what's been in that mag (and others) for the last 2-3 decades.

-Bill[/QUOTE]There was good writing, I thought, because it concerned things I might want to do to my car. But as for spelling, that's what editiors are for. Perhaps you could read some Bonneville Racing News articles from 2005 to 2009 or so. I thought some of the DIY artucles were pretty good. I wrote them. But without spell check I never would have tried. I di sometimes write to the local paper (San Jose Mercury News) to complain about something I thought the editior should have caught. But I'm old and grumpy.

2. Now, that makes two of us. :D

But, personally, I think spell check is one of the worst things ever for literacy; I've found that since I've had access to it, my ability to actually put words down on paper has suffered. One of those 'use it or lose it' things.

Typing stuff w/ carbon paper forced us to be a little more careful.

Oh, and 1952henry caught one of my pet peeves, which I should have whined about...

the apostrophe.

Not every word ending in an 's' needs one.

It was just a few short years ago that Dan Quayle was getting drawn over the coals for spelling potato with an 'e' on the end. Now, I think a significant portion of our society is scarcely able to tell if any word is written (or used) correctly or not.

But, its time to go too work, and the cat's need bath's. Your all going to half too disgust this subject without me. Witch is a shame, because when I'm their, there always sending me hear and they're without any reason's being given. So its impossible to log into the hamb, without that which of a boss's secretary rating me out. She sued to be a striper. I thing she still does striping for the boss...

-Bill

3. Now, that makes two of us. :D

But, personally, I think spell check is one of the worst things ever for literacy; I've found that since I've had access to it, my ability to actually put words down on paper has suffered. One of those 'use it or lose it' things.

Typing stuff w/ carbon paper forced us to be a little more careful.

Oh, and 1952henry caught one of my pet peeves, which I should have whined about...

the apostrophe.

Not every word ending in an 's' needs one.

It was just a few short years ago that Dan Quayle was getting drawn over the coals for spelling potato with an 'e' on the end. Now, I think a significant portion of our society is scarcely able to tell if any word is written (or used) correctly or not.

But, its time to go too work, and the cat's need bath's. Your all going to half too disgust this subject without me. Witch is a shame, because when I'm their, there always sending me hear and they're without any reason's being given. So its impossible to log into the hamb, without that which of a boss's secretary rating me out. She sued to be a striper. I thing she still does striping for the boss...

-Bill

4. Or it could meen nothing. No way to verify upon casual, external inspection if it indeed ran when parked. That's the problem with 'ran when parked'.

5. Not mine....Selling for friend without computer/internet/yada yada.

6. Now that's funny. And true.

7. Eight433

Eight433

So the factory must have been mistaken when they named my car a "Hardtop Sedan"? :confused:

I understand everybody has their little pet peeves, but this thread is so full of misinformation and trivial arguments it's not even funny. Engine and motor will be used semi-interchangeably for decades to come, despite a couple of yahoos arguing it out on an internet forum. Actually, with the widespread release of electric cars, I venture to say the term will become nearly synonymous to the masses.

In the spirit of the thread though, one of my pet peeves is somebody who describes their exhaust as dual exhaust, when it is in fact, single exhaust with a dual outlet muffler.

oh yeah, and people who use "duel" when they mean "dual"

8. S.F.

S.F.

me asking : "hows the rust and where is it"

answer "well is a 70 year old car, its gonna have rust"

not always

9. How about O.G.? Annoying. How many people over thirty even know what it means?

10. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

-When people say Motor instead of Engine.
    - Also, people need to realize there is a difference between a Roadster and a Convertable.

11. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I don't! Never even heard it (or seen it in an ad). I tried to find out what it meant, without success. Here's what I found with an internet search:

I give up! What's it mean?

12. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Following a long list of Ford parts on the local Craigslist:

"As you can see there are no prices which means make offers."

My thought when I read it:

"As you can see there are no offers which means make prices."

13. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Think: Ice T........."Original Gangster"......

14. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

How's that used in the context of a car ad? Selling a donk?

15. People who call a 1932 ford a '32 duce. Not only redundant but stupid.

16. I've seen it several time, refering to "original". Example: For Sale, 1940 Ford, O.G. flathead, etc., etc.

17. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Original gangster flathead? :confused: I must be an O.G. (Old Guy). I don't get it.

18. Hilarious, first thread I open after posting above:
    I think this guy is using it to just mean "old," minus the "gangster."

19. Special Ed

Special Ed

Many here on the HAMB use "OG" as "original"....yes, I had to ask....:)

20. And RPW stands for Revolutions Per Webb. No kidding, my name is Per Webb!

21. Numbers matching when used on a car that wasn't always built that way. It became a bigger deal in the late 60s with the first more or less standardization of serial number locations and formats, but before that some cars the numbers are completely different, and some cars usually match but it's not unusual for the motor to be a few off from the body number, either.

"VIN" used for a car with a serial number according to the maker and the books.

I hate that text message stuff, too, they don't charge you by the character for an internet ad, so type in real english.

But some of the other stuff... hey, if people are dumb and don't know what things are or what they fit, so much the better for me, I once scored a particular model train at a car show swap meet for $25 - even I wasn't entirely sure what it was, but once I looked it up myself I turned it and made $500 on it. And that works both ways, too, sometimes stuff isn't worth putting on eBay or whereever because it's easy to find cheap, but you price it up and be willing to take a little less and some dummy comes along who doesn't know better and gives you more than it's worth.

As far as spelling and grammar go, particularly on a message board that's all you have to go by, and it's hard to sound intelligent if you don't appear to be literate in the process of discussing whatever. Just like when you bore out a motor.. okay an engine, there's a tolerance you follow, there's no "that's close enough" if you want it to run worth a damn later. That said, a typo or two isn't a big deal (unless it's in a crucial word or makes something funny).

22. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

ran when parked seriously the damn car could of ran 40 years ago then parked that doesnt really help me at all.

23. thatredcaroutside

thatredcaroutside
    from Decatur,AL

friend comes to mind...

24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I do get just a little peeved when people say "Fast" when they mean 'Quick". But that is a Lakes racer kind of thing.

25. Just saw this one.

""it was painted once in 1999, but never a ground up restoration. It is unrestored, unmolested, original. (no bondo) .. I had the engine rebuilt, new tires,brakes, rechromed the front grille and rear bumper, put continental kit on it, the stainless steel chrome is original. I have done so much with it that I can't list it all.""

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  26. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

The word Ratrod to discribe what is really a hotrod thats built with all older authentic speed equipment and parts,and has some rust,no paint yet,or old faded paint.
    I think some cars confuse car show people and they cant tell what it is so you get put in the what ever,special interest or Rat category.

27. Good one!:D

28. sobpunx

sobpunx

thats perfect, I've always said i have a lot of acquaintances and a few friends.
    cheers
    mat

29. My pet peeve is calling people you don't know or have never met, yahoos .. :D
    What is a "yahoo" anyway?

30. Like the 1932 duce in a post above ... :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.