Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally Bought a 50 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by enfieldjoe, Aug 17, 2010.

1. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

After lots of looking and several false starts, I have finally scored on a nice original 50 Merc with a flattie, 3sp/OD, and 6 volt electrics.

HotRodTim is in the process of delivering it to me later this week. Needs some work on the inner rockers and driver's side floor pan, but otherwise good glass, trim, bumpers, and nice patina on the paint. Most importantly, it is a driver at this stage. Nothing like planning the project, driving some, fixing some, and customizing a driver.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

congrats! Looks like a great start. What are the plans????

3. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

OH man that sucker is a beauty! Wish it was mine. That is cool that you plan on driving it as you customize it. Thats what I like to do.

4. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Thanks, not exactly sure where to go from here, except drive it around for awhile. Want to fix any thru-hole rust first. Maybe some mild custom touches, lots to think about in that area. Engine/trans is my biggest challenge: keep the flattie/3sp, or update?

This forum will give me lots of ideas, morale support, and hopefully keep me from doing something crazy.

5. customcory

customcory

Glad to see you got a Merc!:D

6. brady1929

brady1929

7. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

Be sure to join the HAMB Merc club.....

8. 51 mercules

51 mercules

9. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Thanks, it was a long road with lots of curves. I fell out of four deals just this year. Kept looking at 51s, but the deals kept falling apart.

10. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Thanks, just joined. Man, this is like Xmas in August!

11. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

You're a lucky man!

12. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Wow! what a great lookin' fifty!

Please don't ''street rod'' your Merc- 350/350s belong in Chevelles, not beneith the hood of kustom Mercurys! Nix on frame clips and "clown-boy'' paint jobs, as well.

" The one thing all nations share is the fear that a member of the family will want to be an artist "

13. WELCOME ABOARD!!!! Let me know if ya need anything on this side of the states!!!!

14. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

Way to go!
    Iv'e had mine since 1980
    I used fatmans suspension in front and posies rear springs
    also I C'ed the frame
    They have the parts that include Dropped uprights & a adapter for the Master cyl,and steering box
    Have been driving it for quite a few years and it rides good.
    There are some pics in my Profile

Attached Files:

15. BadFishKustoms

BadFishKustoms

looks great !!!!! the best part is that its a RUNNER !!!!! thats exactly what i wanted when i found my 55olds and thats what im doing driving and fixing as i go !!!! congrads again on the find

16. RodStRace

RodStRace

Keep the flatty! maybe stuff a 5 speed in it just so it's always just idling....:)
    So long as it pulls it along, there is no reason to change, the hood should always be closed.

17. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet car....Drive the wheels off of it.

18. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Keep the flattie. Any slick kustom is 10 times cooler when you hear it roll by and make that flathead sound.

19. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

20. Blank canvas, you can go with any style that suits you. Congrats.

21. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to the Merc family... Drive it and enjoy it, that is what it is all about..

Happy Trails, Mick

22. farmer12

farmer12

Great car! Congrats and enjoy.

23. R Pope

R Pope

Beauty! Keep the flatty, and remember, the more smoothing and blanking you do to it, the more it looks like those 'glass repro's. We aren't gonna chop the one we have just for that reason, even up here in the frozen tundra there's one in every body shop in the country. Kinda cheapens the currency, y'know? Another reason to preserve the 255 cube water heater, nobody puts 'em in plastic!

24. CarGar

CarGar

They're only original once. Fix what's broken (rust, etc). Freshen what's stale. Rod the original flattie. Paint and chrome if it fits your budget. It looks original enough that restoring it to OEM status seems practical. That exhaust system, for instance, doesn't feel right. Cool find!

Best -- Gary

Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men, but from doing something worthwhile.
 -- Sir Wilfred Grenfell

25. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Break out the Pabst and the sawzall, nice find.

26. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Looks great right now ! Fix the rust and exhaust , add some skirts and a mild ass drag and have some fun with it . Don't think about changing the engine until it blows up (probably never) and with the O/D it should roll pretty nice .

27. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another suggestion. Given your short term plans for the car, I would get get the Overdrive working if it's not already. It's a lot cheaper and easier than a T-5 and it adds a lot for long range cruising. I've had a couple of shoebox Fords, with and without OD, and the OD is better. Only downside (on a Ford at least) is that a floor shift conversion is a lot more difficult to do.:mad: If you are missing a lot of ancillary parts, Ron Bishop's flathead book has a chapter on how to get it working even if you have missing or broken parts.:)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  28. Congrats and welcome to the Mercury club. I suggest that you drive it three times and then drop it off at a body shop for two years like me.