Register now to get rid of these ads!

argh ! It's has to be the Carb !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Well , I replaced the fuel pump on my 56 Chevy... Thinking I wasn't getting gas. I could get it to run before replacement of the fuel pump, by pouring some gas down the carb. Sweet problem fixed no gas from the pump replace the pump. So after replacement of the pump, I crank it over no start. Ok new pump needs some help, same thing like before pour some gas down the carb. Well if fires off no problem. I turn it on and off a few times starts right up.. so flash forward today go to see if I can take it for a spin, guess what cranking but not firing off. I guess maybe the needle and seat maybe dropped/ float stuck ? tried tapping on the float bowl nothing. I thinks it's time to for a different intake and carb... The car was running sweet just proir to HotRod-A-Rama. HMMM ?:confused:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Check the Fuel filter too!! :D

3. Dan57

Dan57

the cam lobe that runs the fuel pump? if you open the throttle by hand with the air cleaner off, does it squirt gas? it should.
    if not, take the line off the carb and see if it pumps when you turn the engine over.

if the float had dropped, it would be flooding, not starving.

4. Dan57

Dan57

Like Chadillac said, it could be the filter or the strainer in the tank also. I had my strainer plug up after my 57 sat for 7 years. I think someone put a rag in the tank or something...weird. New tank was all rusty inside by then anyway. The thing quit while I was on the freeway.

5. Filter is 4 months old?

6. What engine? Carb? Fuel pump mechanical or electric? Done any other work on it recently?

The plugged tank strainer or fuel filter sounds logical. Maybe a tank venting issue? If SBC with stock pump maybe a bent or sticking fuel pump push rod? Fuel line get pinched somewhere under the car where you can't see it?:( Maybe a batch of skunky gas, buy some at a different station than you usually use?

7. The Nomad has a new fuel tank as well, Mine quit on the street here were I live. We messed with some (carb linkage etc, poured gas down the carb and got in running. I drove it back to the garage with stops at traffic lights and it kept running. Playing the accelerator linkage I wasn't getting gas before...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  8. Rob,

Don't know if you've covered this ground in another thread yet or not, but what is the history on your tank? If it's the original tank, it may be full of sediment/junk that is making it's way through your fuel system into your carb.

Scott/Gotta56forme

9. Chevy 265 V8, Rochester 2GC auto choke carb, mechanical pump. other thank replacing the fuel pump , nope.. It was running like a champ then who knows went wrong..

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Been so long since i've played with that type carb. Help out guys. Does that carb use the bronze fuel filter at the fuel inlet. If it does it to might be pluged. Thats if you have an inline filter and forgot about one in the carb.

11. Joes50

Joes50

The pouring the gas down the carb to get it to fire sounds like a choke problem right off the bat. If I was their the first thing I would do is pull the hose off the carburetor and crank the engine over to see how much fuel your new pump is moving. If the fuel volume is sufficient then I would set the choke to close more and stay on longer. If it still didn't fire...it's time for a rebuild on the carburetor.

12. Dan57

Dan57

Yeah, pull the hose/line off the carb and see if you're getting fuel to it. I don't usually need to use the choke this time of year, but if you aren't getting gas to the carb then that's where to look.

13. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I always run a glass fuel filter right ahead of the carb just for this reason. If the filter goes dry, you know a problem is downstream of the filter (pump, plugged lines, plugged pick-up). If the filter is full, then the problem is your carb. If the carb has fuel, and the squirters squirt when you run the linkage, then you need to check to see if its getting spark.

Did you check to make sure it's getting spark?

This is basic, but a guy once told me "If it has fuel, and it has compression, and it has ignition, and it has timing, it can't HELP but run. It can't do anything else!"

Back to basics. One thing at a time, exhaust the possibilities, and move on.

-Brad

14. tommy v

tommy v

i'm having the samething with my 55 ,fuel pump went out after a year and a half ,put on a new one , then it was running like shit ,took the carb to my carb guy and he said it's full of dirt ,so now i have a new tank sitting here that needs to go in this week, a little dirt will f&#* everything up

15. my old internationan went thru 3 filters in 3 days on a road trip running higher speeds than around town. got home dropped the tank flushed it out with a gallon of alcohol. used a small funnel to force alcohol thru the fuel lines front to rear put her back together and never used another filter. I like a filter before the fuel pump on non racing engines

16. A frend of mine went thru the same situation....He cured the problem by merely putting some gas in the tank,,,it was empty...

17. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

Test fuel pressure at carb first. good pressure there (4-7 range) go to carb. Bowl draining. No pressure check pump drive shaft operation. Check lines for kink or hole in hose, loose clamp etc. When changed pump did fuel on inlet side flow out of line freely? Troubleshoot in steps, always testing fuel pressure first if you suspect fuel problem. Saves money on parts not to mention aggravation.

18. LOL , I have a full tank. I wish it was just that.

19. brad chevy

brad chevy

Have you taken the line off the carb to see if the pump is working as suggested earlier,if no fuel there you know which direction to go.

20. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

And that is relevant how?
    I had a OEM tank that would clog a filter in MINUTES. let the gas get low and instant clog. Now I have an aluminum fuel cell.

21. so what was clogging the filter in the "oem " tank ?Was a new tank or old one ? sealing compound of some type ? I was saying the filter had been replaced . I had no filter issues ever with the car, or fuel tank issues. I could try a new filter, since maybe something came a part in side.

22. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

old rusty shit in the original tank. I ran two filters before I got a new cell. Had to keep it over 1/4 full or I would be on the side of the highway. Use a clear cheap filter before and after the pump. you can see what is going on that way and they are cheap. Wix 33003, $2.50 a pop.

23. The filter I have is metal one, not to craxy about them.. I like to see whats happening fuel wise also... may try to find the Wix here.

24. so long to the two barrell carb and intake very soon, Thank you to Scott for Carter AFB/ and four barrell intake...

25. rocknrollratfink

rocknrollratfink
    from LA

:D Funny Stuff!

26. chaddilac

chaddilac

That don't mean a thing!! Check the tank for crud too! :)

27. new tank

28. brad chevy

brad chevy

You are talking about getting rid of the carb and intake and still haven"t said if you have gas coming to the carb,have you checked that yet or not.

29. I have been thinking of going to a four barrell set up..... Most the Chevy guys thinks the 2GC in the problem... I will go that extra step to check that... and replace the fuel filter also..

30. brad chevy

brad chevy

If you don"t have gas going to the 2-barrel how do you think a four barrel is going to get gas?