Register now to get rid of these ads!

Reggie Jacksons 1941 Willys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

The Reggie Jackson Willys built by Brizio did not meet the reserve and was not sold at the Mecum Monterey auction. High bid was $130,000.

Attached Files:

2. bad economy, prices are in the tank on everything......

3. Butch/1

Butch/1
    from Dublin ,Va

The economy must not be too bad for some, a '65 GT 350 Shelby (drag pack) brought 350K.

4. jimdillon

jimdillon

I watched a good part of the auction while working in the shop. I certainly did not see all of Reggie Jackson's cars go thru but did ANY of them sell during the auction itself?

In 2005 he ran some cars thru RM at Monterey and I don't remember if any of them sold there either. I looked at his cars then and they seemed to be pretty good quality although a bit high on the reserve.

He certainly has a great stable of cars but he places a pretty high reserve on his cars. Some of his cars seem to be in the ballpark so I don't understand why more don't sell-it certainly is not the lack of money in the building.

The Willys sure sounded pretty healthy although he liked playing with the loud peddle-Jim

5. coop ED

coop ED

One problem may be that, in the area he is known as kind of a A Hole! Friends and family that live up in the Monterrey, Carmel area are not fond of him. Years ago when his warehouse burnt down people weren't that upset about it. I mean yes the guy was Mr. October , hall of famer, etc but apparently still has the EGO from days gone by. So he's not friendly and full of himself. No one likes to deal with him and talk much to him in the Monterrey, Carmel area as far as car owners. Car builders or shop owners maybe a different story.

6. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

I think his 68 Yenko Camaro was a no sale at 200k as well.

7. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Nice Willys though !

8. brandon

brandon

sure its a big dollar car...but its lacking something (or somethings) it doesn't grab me anymore than some tupperware willys. maybe its the front wheels.....who knows.:rolleyes::eek:

9. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

I saw and heard it being tuned at Brizio's last week and it sounded quite..umm...nice. I think I saw his black OT car in the lot with a Yunick engine in it. The man has nice toys.

10. I gotta tell you ,"If money was no object it would be in my garage":D HRP

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Gosh, I've found that to be absolutely true! Reggie oughta go into politics. I have an amusing story about ol' Reg, 'Bluto' Esperanca, and humble self.

12. xracer40

xracer40

Even Brizio can't build "history" into one.

13. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

The value of a Willys coupe is a funny thing. If someone would have drug in a half rusted out car, that had even the slightest bit of race history (whether recognized or not), people probably would have been clamoring all over it. It's like the potential of the finished car is worth more than the actual finished car. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that while it's still in a raw incomplete state, everyone sees it for what it COULD be, or how they dream it could be. Once a hot rod is completed, it's now that one person's vision, and hopefully meets the vision of a potential buyer. I've seen pictures of Reggie's car during the build process, and it's obvious no expense was spared. However, the 4-bar rear suspension and the coil over shocks in the front, aren't really consistent with 65-67 era appearance of the car. Maybe that has a little to do with it? Or maybe like xracer40 said, you can't build history into a car.

14. Wow, assaholio or not (no opinion here, never met him) that is one car I'd make space in the garage for.

15. alsancle

alsancle

Reggie seems to own or have owned quite a few cars. Is he a collector or a flipper? Also, I agree with the post regarding history. That makes a big difference to many buyers.

16. wild willey

wild willey

HRP....... I'm witchu!!! BAD ASS WILLYS!!

17. Here is a link of Reggie's Willys at Roy's Shop! One sweet ride and a great build! :)

http://www.roybriziostreetrods.com/progress/reggie/index.htm

[​IMG] <script language="javascript"> <!-- w=600-16 h=398-16 document.write('<td valign="top">[​IMG]
    ') document.write('[​IMG]
    ') document.write('[​IMG]</td>') document.write('</tr><tr><td valign="top">[​IMG]') document.write('[​IMG]') document.write('[​IMG]</td>') document.write('<td valign="top">[​IMG]</td>') // --> </script>[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I love that willys, I have pictures of it during the build and thought it was an incredible car then. stance is right, color is right and the tires are not to wide or stick out to much (that is the downfall of way to many gassers being built today I think)..

19. Koolade

Koolade
    from Illinois

2 of Reggie's cars didn't sell? I hope he doesn't have another garage fire.

20. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I did not see how much it sold for but I was told his super stock max wedge Plymouth sold cheap (for what it was).

Anybody catch that?

21. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

I think the car looks period, but I can't understand why in the one picture it shows that the wheels are high polished and the other looks like they are painted or coated gray. With the candy red paint job it needs the polished rims.

Attached Files:

22. hodges

hodges
    from Indiana

Think he had 13-14 there and sold 3 thats probably a record nobody buys his stuff I dont blame them.

23. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

The problem is that no matter what "That's a Reggie Car" it will never be yours, you will take crap for doing any mod to it, I like it but if I had Brizio do it for me I would be a gold chainer, so cars like these are really hard to own from a pride in personal accomplishment stand point. It's cool as hell but can never really be yours.

24. I vaguely remember a car built between Accel and Reggie in the 70s and remember thinking as a young lad, he must be just learning about cars, as the taste were uh, gold chainer maybe?? What was that car ??

25. roddinron

roddinron

Bunch of racists!:rolleyes:

26. 61TBird

61TBird

Not all Brizio built cars are "Gold Chainer" cars...

My Neighbors '32 (His Father bought it new...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. F&J

F&J

I bought a Reggie signed Accel autoshow show card; it has a yellow 55 chevy 2 door with Reggie standing by it...I am thinking that was Reggies Accel promo car??

I only paid a dollar for it :).. I don't follow baseball anymore, but I sure did enjoy watching the all star $$ team he was with in the 70s. Hot rodders like watching raw power and those guys had it ;)

28. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Yep, that was the one. Quite a special engine.

29. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Mark, I swear, you could be my spokeperson! lol
    This is something I've noticed as well but couldn't have put it as well as you did.

30. brandon

brandon

small block with the ultra rare big block style heads. can't be more than a hand full of those in the universe:D