Register now to get rid of these ads!

why must we put the same make motor in samemake body?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teddyp, Jun 14, 2010.

1. mexgrhd68

mexgrhd68
    from cen cal

Preach buddy, preach!!!!:D

2. dudley32

dudley32

SNORE....ZZZZZZZZZZZ...wake me up when its over..ZZZZZZZZZZ

3. I think you and the question posed in the title to this thread have the cart before the horse. The "original" complaint is that most of us "traditionalists" get tired of seeing SBCs in 3/4 or more of all street rods/hot rods. Most rods are Ford "bodies" thus most rods are Ford-like bodies with SBC engine. This is a fact not an opinion.

The absurd preponderance of SBCs gave rise to the "put a Ford in a Ford" phrase. What folks "really" meant, I believe, was don't put a $#%@@# SBC in your hot rod, because there's too many of them.

I looked up the word "boring" in the dictionary and there was a photo of a hot rod with a SBC engine.

I don't think it it true (as your post above suggests) that "traditionalists" are in favor of a Ford in a Ford, a Chevy in a Chevy, a Studebaker in a Stude. What we/they are saying that TRADITIONAL hot rods were NOT overwhelmingly powered by SBCs; and that all sorts of engines should be considered when building a hot rod...unless you want to be boring.

Obviously, if you have a 55, 56 or 57 Chevy then a SBC is appropriate.

Which reminds me...in 1965 my friend and I put a Mopar 361 B block in a 56 Chevy, Art Carr adapted a push button Torqueflite to the center floor board with a manual valve body...now that car really pissed off the SBC crowd; we raised the front end so it had kind of a gasser look and cruised Bob's Big Boy on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena.

trakrodstr

4. Good thread ever since I had my car on the road I had people tell me about time someone has a Ford in a Ford. Than they ask me why I did not put in a Chevy I told them I wanted to be different and had this engine available and I build the car around this engine.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Frenchy: I had lots of flatheads in my life, but replaced a couple of them with SBCs in the '60s. HRM did an early feature on Bob Greene's nice white '41 Ford pickup, and they did a step-by-step on replacing the flatty w/SBC.
    But it would be a cold day in hell before I replaced that V12 in your roadster with one!
    Beautiful car, lucky score!

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

Man... 15 pages and we are still going on about this...

If YOU feel that YOU need to have the same brand of engine in YOUR car,
    then that is right for THAT car.

But not for mine....

If you build your car to get approval of others, you will be dissapointed.

A lot of people dont know what they're looking at anyway, and they prove that by the stupid things they say...

7. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I'll second that;
    Further; questions about 'preferences' regarding 'tradition', preceeded with 'Why' are lame brained, anyhow.

Again; Why ask why??

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

That's gotta be worth at least 10 hp. :rolleyes:

9. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Because I want a V8 in MY car!!!

10. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I have been an member much longer than I have been a vendor. I like to get a dig in once in a while just like everybody else but when I became a vendor I had to tone it down. Its hard trying to be nice all the time:rolleyes: Give it a try and see what I mean ;) Forgive me for having a weak moment I'll try to do better. :eek:

11. zzford

zzford

True but would you not stare at any that meet your eyes? ;)

12. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I can see putting a chevy in damn near any type of car, but when i see a Ford in a Chevy i want to puke!

13. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

You don't.

[/thread]

14. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

All personal preference IMHO. I personally prefer to keep same make engines, just seems to make sense to me. I really don't care much what anybody else does with their own cars.

Most of the sbc arguments seem a little lame when put in context;
    (cheap parts, parts available everywhere, reliability, etc)

If you look at most of the HAMB friendly cars themselves, most would not fit into that category when compared to late model equivalent. We like our old cars because they have style and personality, not because they get 30+ mpg and can go 100K miles between tuneups. We do extra maintence and live without other creature comforts because it's what we enjoy. Spares, good planning, maintenance, and AAA go a long way.

That said, my truck has a sbc that was in it when I bought it. I don't plan to change it until it dies or I have a Hudson 308 ready to drop in.

My .02

15. A whole industry (Ansen/Hooker/Herbert & Meek/TransDapt/Wilcap....) and many articles were formed around engine swaps. It made for some very interesting reading for me as a kid (and now). Hemi in a 57 T-Bird? Awesome

16. 57J2

57J2

I think if you have to ask then you don't get it and you probably never will. Some people have an attachment to certain makes of vehicles that makes putting an other make engine in it a non-option. Personally I'm an Olds guy and when i see any Oldsmobile with a non-Olds motor, it makes me cringe. Would I drive a wicked Oldsmobile that somone stuck a rat motor in, if someone gave it to me ? Fuck yeah, but it's not how I'd do it. If someone gave me a 426 Hemi, I'd sell it and buy an Olds. Thats just me. Thats not to say I don't appreciate all makes, I just like my Oldsmobiles all Oldsmobile !!!

17. teddyp

teddyp

18. RamblerClassic

RamblerClassic

I dont have a problem with other engines in cars.

I have a problem with Chevy's in othercars, namely, the 350. I mean fuck, how many 350's do i need to see?

But what makes me chuckle, is the chevy guys spend so much money to make their 350 look different (fauxmobile valve covers, rare intakes custom air cleaners) that it almost makes up for me porting the heads on my rambler, cutting a torker intake up to fit my 287, giving it nitrous, and boring it to 307.

Not only that, but at the end of the day, i have a one of a kind engine.

19. ironpile

ironpile

I have a long time AF buddy in Chino,just picked up a 57 Silver Hawk. He is more of a Vette man but likes the oldies some.If you happen to run into him tell him Kelley said hi.

20. ironpile

ironpile

It`s really quite funny,except to the recipient.Nothing beats cubic inches except cubic money.

21. Built Ford tough with Chevy stuff!
    My grandson thought that was very funny the first time he saw it on a Ford

22. spiders web

spiders web

Love it. Im working on a 57 Nomad that is getting a 429 fe just to twist the bowtie boys.

23. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Using an engine that is a different make than the car makes it easier to differentiate between all the flat black primered/red spray-bomb wheeled cars ;)