Register now to get rid of these ads!

For ALL You FNG's...How'd You Find The HAMB?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krooser, Jan 28, 2009.

1. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Been a lurker and Alliance member since 2006. Don't remember how I found it but was probably google.

2. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I had heard of the forum several times in the past (mostly through Hot Rod Deluxe, and particularly through Brad Ocock's articles), but didn't have as much reason to join as I was working more on late model performance cars and musclecars. The last couple years, though, I have been itching to return to the cars I have always loved, and this board has really given me the inspiration. I grew up on Tri-5 Chevies, and always loved pretty much anything made before them (early Fords especially). Most of my shop clientel have been musclecars and Pro-Touring type builds, but with 2 new shop projects (a recreation of my Dad's '55 Chevy that he had in '57, and a '57 gasser), I'm hoping to attract more traditional-oriented customers. Thanks to everyone here for all the great information, and the warm welcome!

3. JoeNational

JoeNational
    from nc

I am a member over at jockey journal from a friend who told me about that site. I then followed a link to a car over here since I was in the market at the time (and still am). Had to join since I found a few cars in classifieds. Cool place for sure.

4. 1_Wild_Cat

1_Wild_Cat
    from Idaho

I was actually looking for photos of a specific car that I saw at Hot August Nights in Reno. This particular car really caught my attention, but my camera malfunctioned so I ended up with no pictures.

Found the photos here and then discovered a lot of good information so decided to join up.

I am really impressed by the amount of knowledge here and the fabrication/build skills showed by some members. Wow...there are some incredible hot rods here.

5. YoungGun

YoungGun

I was 15 years old when i met ....josh shaw ...and from then on all i wanted was a tudor sedan to build. He sat me down in front of a computer with this site brought up and ive used it off and on ever since.i hadnt used it for a few years till recently,now im on everyday and still love it.the info is amazing and the members are great

now that ive got rid of my more modern style 64 impala(layed frame on 20's haha),im back full force to learn all i can about traditional gassers. Im building a 1967 nova 2dr coupe with a straight axle..

6. rascal55

rascal55

We don't post much cause all you hard asses jump down our throats !!!!!
    Still one of the best sites around though!! Incredible talent and info !!
    See ya at the DRAGS!!!
    Rascal55

7. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

I was bombing around town when I noticed this bad-ass suburban , he was driving it from where he had bought it (carolina) , and headed to Cincinati , (I think) Ohio , I had to have a pic of it , we talked alittle , and he said he bought it from someone on the jalopy journal , I been here every since.....

Attached Files:

8. Road Oiler

Road Oiler

I found the HAMB just by happenstance. I was looking for information on a car I found. Trying to locate parts and pieces etc, then while on google the "hokey ass message board" popped up. I checked it out, I liked what I saw. I lurked around along while like others. I hope to find something I can make my own and to be able to give back what the HAMB has given me, a resurrection of the love of cars; what it was like to build something with only a little money and lots of ideas. Can I have a HELL YEAH!!!

9. Turd Furgeson

Turd Furgeson
    from Indiana

I found my way here through the Garage Journal. It also lead me to the Jockey Journal. I don't post much because I don't want to get blasted by the old schoolers for being a newb, so I just soak up as much wisdom as I can. How's that saying go? Better to let people think you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

10. das858

das858

I found it when googeling front engine dragster and King Chassis came up.I'm addicted now, and am spending about 1.5 hours a day here!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  11. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

I first came across the site quite a while back, while working on a 55 Ford pickup.

Read some articles, but never signed up-which was typical for me back then...

Last year, I was looking for info on Sun tach senders (wanted to have one restored as a gift to my father in law), and so I decided that there's too much good info on here to not be signed up (plus, even though I'm just a FNG, I might have something that y'all could use).

Oh-plus, there are some BAD ASS photos on here, too much info for anyone to pass up, and in general, good stories of good times.

I plan on sticking around and being active. My wife and I just picked up a '54 Olds Holiday Coupe. It's got a hi comp 394 under the hood that I'm in the process of going through right now.

12. Biff.bailey

Biff.bailey

I found it while looking for info on running tunnel rams on the street, (my usual forum is www.rodsandsods.co.uk )Although my preferred mode of transport is 60's / 70's muscle cars, and i am more into the drag racing side than the street rodding / show scene, I appreciate the effort and work that goes into any hotrod/custom/racecar, even, the late model ricers (though i wouldn't own one myself).
    There is a wealth of info on here and i plan to stick around for a while yet.

13. 64ville

64ville
    from So Cal

I found The Hamb searching for tech advice for my '64. Lurked for 7 months before joining and am growing very fond of everything here. Great people and great threads. I also lurked, but never joined, a certain other forum (said forum's name not to be mentioned due to curse word in title). Safe to say I made the right choice.

14. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I bought a box of Lucky Charms, I ate the box and poured out the last bit when this goddam little Irish guy in a green suit pops out of the box, he yells its magically delicious and starts running around my house. So I catch him and he says I'll trade you my freedom for a really cool website, I says f that man I want your pot of gold, He says I had all my stock in GM i'm as poor as a church mouse, cool site take it or leave it, I says OK and he gives me a card with this site on it so I let him go, he ran out the door turned around whipped out a fat wad of cash and yelled HAHA I F"d ya and ran up a tree like a squirrel.

15. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

I spent the past 10 years working in SoCal and someone at a cruise night told me about the site. Been working on Hot Rods and muscle cars as a hobby for the past 40 years now. Just bought my dream car, which is a 50 Merc. Now, I will use this site as a reference to customize my Merc.

Great site because it is full of ideas and useful threads from other gearheads that are working on their dream cars. Keep up the great writing, useful threads, and wonderful pictures of current and past customs and classics.

Not passing thru....

16. fender lizard

fender lizard
    from mcallen tx

i was looking for a recipe for cooking a ham and ended up here! Really, i was on the kb site and saw someone raging how cobbled up many of the cars on that site were. Some how the hamb was mentioned and i took a little looksy. i agreed but sometimes look at both.....one gives me confidence on my work....the other (this one) inspires me to do better!

17. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Well, for some reason after 3-1/2 years of membership, I'm still a FNG. After that long, I don't remember how I found the HAMB.

It was probably via a link from some other message board or something like that. Joel

18. How to cook a ham........... I might be able to help you w/that one? lol

19. Went to a local cruise-in and met this cool dude by the name of Ron (BloodyKnuckles) and after talking for a while, he told me about the HAMB. I joined up, but I got to butting heads with some folks and decided it wasn't for me. Well, fast-forward a couple of years and Ron asked me why I wasn't on here. I told him about my experience and he said I should give it another try. So, I joined up again, under a new name, and lurked for a while. Recently I have seen some things that have piqued my interest here, so I have decided to participate more and try not to piss off too many of the people here.

But, I can't promise not to get someone's panties in a twist at some point.

20. Never2low

Never2low

I met Dennis Lesky (Ionia Rod Shop) at a local show. Talked for a few, when I asked how he lowered the rear of his F100, BAM! he was down on all fours crawling under to show what he did. Needless to say, I knew right away, he was a cool guy. Told me I should check it out, so I lurked for two and a half years:eek: Don't ask me why I was so apprehensive. Been hooked ever sense.

21. theshooter

theshooter

I got my weekly Hemmings Motor News email and saw the article "Bass goes west in a Hemi-powered hot rod" and then I saw the link to H.A.M.B. and HAD to look...

I LOVE IT!!!

That, my friends, is how I got to H.A.M.B....

22. A little caustic at first. :eek: The hazards of being an enthusiastic newby.:eek:
    It's all better now...mostly. :D
    Looking for Mr Norwell's art work.:)

23. Leroy Rochester

Leroy Rochester

This seems like a good way to finally get rid of the "so ya finally got registered" banner...

I was borrowing a fuel pressure gauge off my buddy's dad's 55 (and a half) Chevy pro street car. I looked to my right and saw a funny little cowl tag with a speeding hotrod and the acronym "H.A.M.B." On it. I said "hey dude, what the F' is Ham-buh" and next thing you know I was shopping for hot rod stuff and enjoying the pics and posts! Thanks John and Mike!

24. gregsrt

gregsrt

I recognize that handle from the same place I heard about the HAMB, Moparts.
    I still mostly lurk to check out pictures and learn. My 69 Road Runner isn't HAMB friendly but when it's done I'll probably try to find and old Dodge/Plymouth that I like or a 49-51 Ford, I've got a real pin on for one of those.

25. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

I was looking at other hot rod forums and I kept reading about "those guys that hate on everything" on the HAMB. I kinda hated what they were doing (billet covered trailer queen cars) so I searched for the HAMB and here I am. Couldn't believe there was such a huge group of people into the same cars as me and I didn't even know it!

26. 65 Imp SS

65 Imp SS
    from central mn

When searching for info over the internet this site would come up alot so I lurked a few years and figured what the heck am I doing?! I might as well sign on!

27. kingpins

kingpins

hear say. hot rod shops and locals

28. dr john

dr john
    BANNED
    from CSA

I kept getting links from google images on AWB cars and SuperStockers. Sometimes couldnt see the photos without "logging in" , so I joined. Funny thing ; those cars arent technically "hamb friendly", but appear to be very popular with many pages of threads... go figure.

29. pennylane

pennylane
    from 1904

When I got my car and had ten thousand questions I think all my guy friends were over it, and told me to ask you guys. :) Im not going anywhere! Any question I have posted on here is thouroughly answered. And Ive never felt and condesending nature from asking a basic question that most people "should" know. You know not everyone knows where or what a thermostat is, but if you dont know ask. I appreciate all the help I get on here. Plus just reading the posts are so interesting and knowledgeable. I just wish they had an Iphone app so I could be on it more often... but then Id never get anything done. Its so easy to get lost in these forums! So a BIG thank you to everyone for letting us FNGs in and sharing your knowledge, its truley appreciated!
    Cheers

30. Two great trades, keep at it, there aren't enough good upholstery guys around, for that matter a great bartender/bar keep ain't to shabby either!

A pic of one of my favorite watering hole's in St. John, though it is self service.

Attached Files: