Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Question about Texas "LoneStarRoundUP",what else can I visite?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steverod, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Steverod

Steverod

Hi everybody

Next year i want to visit the great event "Lonestar RoundUp" in Texas ,1st-3rd April 2011.I never been there,and i want to see everything in that country (hot rod shops,junkyard ,and much more).
    We stay 2 1/2 week.
    I hope that somebody can give me some help.
    Thank you
    Steve

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

You can probably spend the 2-1/2 weeks and never leave Texas. Lots to do here. Might want to check out the Pate Swap Meet April 28-May1 at the Texas Motor Speedway north of Fort Worth. The Stock Yards in Fort Worth are worth a visit too.

This place is worth a visit too and only about 30 minutes west of Fort Worth
    B&E Auto Parts
    A huge warehouse full of old parts. You can browse the isles all you want.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  3. Plan full days for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday the weekend of the Roundup. More info will be in a special forum as the event draws near.

4. 36tbird

36tbird

For non-car event turista stuff, there are the missions around San Antonio, including the Alamo. Fredericksburg is a great visit with the wild flowers a plus that time of year. Great antique shopping in New Braunfels and Boerne. Auto swap meet in New Braunfels one week before the Pate one mentioned. This is all hill country stuff in the vicinity of Austin. Stay away from those yankees up north around Dallas.:D

5. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

A few can't miss places in/near the Roundup: Austin Speed Shop, BBQ in Lockhart, and South Congress on Saturday night.

6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

River Walk in San Antonio is a MUST SEE!

7. Steverod

Steverod

Thank you all for your reply ,that was more that i expect.

I check this on the net ,it sounds good.Is it like a big Park?

Austin Speed shop is defenitly on my list,BBQ in Lockhart is it private or for everybody like me.Are there hot Rods exposed?

hehehe i think i goona see the dallas yankees as well.Thank you for your infos.

I can what that the april is com'in sooner .

I gonna check the website
    I have a big hunger for more infos,Thanks you all in advance.
    Steve

8. The BBQ at Reggie's shop is awesome(Lockhart?); there is also a party about five-ten miles from there after the BBQ, I forget his name, his garage is like a hot rod museum. Lots of hot rods at both events. I imagine this will go on next time; last year was the first time I did Reggie's, I had previously came in on Friday night instead of Friday morning. Next year I'm taking off Thursday-Monday so I don't miss anything; lots of cool stuff I missed this year because I went home Sunday morning.
    Just keep an eye out here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php
    where, under "Events," it says "H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals", and "Hot Rod Revolution," there will be a listing for the Roundup, a month or two before the show.

9. Steverod

Steverod

Cool i keep a eye on the event page,i can wait to be there.

10. Look for me, I'll be in a '65 Riviera; I'll buy you a beer.

11. Steverod

Steverod

I will,thanks you for the beer,i will loock for the nice Riviera.

12. Steverod

Steverod

I can't get enough of infos
    Thanks

13. Dick's Classic Garage

Dick's Classic Garage

Don't forget about our car museum. We now have 71 cars on display, including a Tucker with less than 1/2 a mile on it. We also give discounts to HAMBers.

14. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

about "Lockhart BBQ" - Lockhart is a little town about 30 miles or so south of Austin. There are at least 5 restaurants there that I've personally enjoyed, and there are probably a couple I'm missing. They're all open to the public, tho hours vary. It's worth a stop, and a pleasant 'long-way-around' trip to San Antonio.

The other is a regular kick-off event the Thursday prior to the Roundup, at Reggie's - in Taylor. - also worth a stop.

15. Slonaker

Slonaker

The Riverwalk here in San Antonio is a portion of the San Antonio River that is lined with sidewalks, restaurants, bars, and shops. It is quite beautiful, and very popular with Tourists.

There is a lot of great stuff to do around Roundup. You are going to have a good time!

Slonaker

16. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Reggie's is in Hutto, Billy's (of the Thunderbolts) party after Reggie's is in Taylor.

Billy's place is the little house or horrors... I mean old car museum someone mentioned earlier. :D

Both are great guys and you have to come to both parties.

17. Those are the "don't miss" events on Friday. Great food at Reggies, and a garage full of cool stuff at Billy's. I was admiring all the cool stuff hanging on the walls and almost tripped over a quick-change rear axle!

18. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

Go a few miles west and have a beer at LUKENBACH, Texas. Get a T-shirt. Then, a few more miles west, it the great town of Fredericksburg. Just park on the main drag and walk up and down the strip with a beer in your hand. The ladies love the shopping.

19. Steverod

Steverod

Thank you all for your help,it sounds so good i think i gonna add one week more ; )

20. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

check the Austin Visitors and Convention bureau. Barton Springs, Lake Travis, Sixth Street, and much more. you WILL have a good time.

Like Wine? many wineries in the area. Texas root stock saved the French wine industry from a disease outbreak.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Along with the previously mentioned places in and around Austin I would say that San Antonio for a couple of days would be a must do. And a drive through the hill country through Fredricksburg and the other towns mentioned should be on the list.

You have to remember though that they aren't lying when they say Texas is big and spread out. Often a drive between those two dots on the map mean a full days drive if you plan on seeing anything in between.

I'd suggest getting a good Texas road map (maybe someone will offer to send you one) and starting with circling Austin mark the places and things you would really like to see and plan routes so that you can see several on one trip or drive. A trip to San Antonio can include driving the back roads through the hill country in one direction or the other so it isn't just blasting down I 35 and back without seeing much of anything.

22. Bigger than the whole country of France, to give you an idea. enjoy yoursel when you get here, there's no other place quite like it.

One other thing, when you get here, when you meet someone, you don't have to ask if he's a Texan; if he is, he'll tell you. If not, you don't want to embarrass him...:D

23. 21tat

21tat

Check out the bats under the bridge at Congress Ave. at sunset. I lived in texas for over 30 years and had never seen this til last year's roundup. It was pretty cool. Get some barbecue at Black's in lockhart, tx. Good stuff!

24. davidh73750

davidh73750

funny women I know or my son's mother dont really get it. Its like Christmas for grown men literally. It starts out the car show season but its like a first kiss or high. The rest of the summer shows you are chasing what LSR offered. Hard to top. Some say hunnert is better I might have to check it out and see. I've been to the last 3 LSR's and plan on going next year already.

25. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

if you head 7 hours north to wellington i'll be glad to give you a tour of the junk yard!

owens salvage
    3725 us hwy 83
    wellington texas 79095

26. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

The is also the rockabilly revival just out side of Austin..The date for the 2011 show has not been posted yet but it is normally the 1st weekend in may. The is always some cool cars there along with a lot of hotrod people. It is always a great show & a good time. http://www.revivalfest.com/

There is also the "Mean eyed cat" in Austin. It is a Johnny Cash themed bar. they have almost every Johnny cash album on there juke box and a ton of pics of johnny posted all over the bar along with other things.

And there is a cool Junk yard in Belton TX called American Hot Rodz. this place has a hundreds of vintage iron from the 20's & up. there number is (254) 939-8548