Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why is the paint on Andy Griffith's cars so dull?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by philo426, Aug 13, 2010.

1. roddinron

roddinron

Same reason most TV cars back then didn't have windshields, camera glare.

I USED to feel like that too, but since he and Opey have taken to doing political ads, I still like the TV character, but the man himself,-----not so much anymore.:(

2. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Why did Andy always have one pant leg stuck into his boot?

3. fbama73

fbama73

Pretty sure Gomer would be more likely to be meatgazing Goober or Ernest T

redlineracer42 and Speed Gems like this.
  4. historynw

historynw

So Ernest T Bass couldn't see himself.:eek:

5. roddinron

roddinron

And if anybody didn't know that, "SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!!":D

6. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

it was kind of like an old fashioned "green screen" effect. when filming in black and white any real shine or reflection in certain situations would turn that part white, rendering it invisible to the shot. so if a shiny patrol car went by on screen chances are at one point the car would appear to be missing in the middle!

7. rustdodger

rustdodger

you should hear what he says about YOU!

8. Uhhh.... doubt it.

You know I don't remember that but I do remember this one time when his cousin Goober put a flat head V8 in his boat and boy was it fast!

I always thought it was weird that in the color episodes that F-100 was all, and I mean ALL red except the tires and those cool hub caps. And how Gomer went from "I don't know nothin about cars, I just pump the gas." to Mayberry's resident automotive genius in 3 easy episodes.

And since were on the subject, I'd just like to take this opertunity to say that I, given the opportunity, would dearly love to knock Warren's head off. I don't care if he is Floyd's nephew.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And what was their method of "dulling"?

10. Father in-law had his Model A in "Cinderella Man" (Russel Crow, Rene Zellweger). They actually sprinkled Hot Chocolate powder on the cars to dull the shine. I am not kidding. It knocks the shine off the paint but does not damage and is easily washed off.

Hot Chocolate powder ... I don't mean Chocolate Powder that is hot ... I mean the powdered chocolate used to create the drink "Hot Chocolate". As mentioned, it rinses off easily and is environmentally acceptable. This was done to cars used in Cinderalla Man that were not dedicated "movie cars" but "restored" cars owned by "car enthusiasts" that were used in the filming.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  11. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

They dulled the paint, and put a dull wax or silver painted the chrome to avoid refections of the lights and film crew. They also removed the windshield glass on close ups for the same reason. Also, ever notice there is never any rear view mirrors in the cars?

12. mmmmm...chocolate powder...just catch the rinse water, put it in the microwave, add 2 marshmallows and there you go! Did y'all know they wore green-tinted makeup when filming in black and white? And they also used chocolate sauce for stage blood....the things you'll learn on a movie set. (not that they used much of that in Andy's show, but in horror movies of the time)

13. Da Flash

Da Flash

OK
    Here is the answer, it is called "dulling spray" and can be bought in pro camera stores. It is used to reduce glare in the camera.
    Da Flash

14. Cause it was supposed to look like a small town marshal's car. If it was never garaged and not waxed on a regular basis it would have been dull like most small town cop cars that I remember.

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If Gomer ever rubbed anything out, it sure wasn't the cruiser. Sidebar: Gomer and Rock Hudson were hanging out at a Hollywood bar many years ago, and Rock was having trouble sliding his seat up to the bar, 'cause he had a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other. Gomer politely asked Rock if he could push his stool in for him.

16. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

That's what's wrong with America these days. Not many like Andy. X3.

17. Zombo

Zombo
    1. oHIo

notice too that the windows are almost always rolled down and sometimes removed altogether. same with leave it to beaver.

18. It was to make Helen Crump look HOTTER !! >>>>.

19. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Because of all the dirt roads back in the 60's . Its just dust on the car.
    I think the car stayed a little more dusty when Andy was seeing those good looking blondes and Ellie than it did after he hooked up with Mrs. Crump.

20. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

That is funny!
    Supposedly(though most people think they were a couple) Rock Hudson and Jim Nabors never even met in real life,let alone being a "couple?"
    The "meatgazing" crack was just supposed to be funny.Everybody knows that Barney knew Judo and would've wiped up the street with Gomer!\

Wish they would've had more "Freddie Fleet and the Band With A Beat" episodes.My goal in life was to be like that Maynard Krebbs-looking trumpet player....

21. roddinron

roddinron

Freddy Fleet and the band with the beat was good, but I liked the Darlin's. It always brought a tear to my eye when they played "tearin' up your old clothes for rags".:D

22. I'd have rather had that stretched DeSoto limo that the band hauled around in! :cool:

23. I've heard of using hair spray in a pinch.

24. Just look at any old video of any of the old TV shows. I mean the truly early ones, not the "1960's old". All the Red Skelton skits, and others, had the windshield and glass removed and the paint very dull.

Glare is right. Also notice the old in-studio recordings of the early TV shows that had guests and 1950's stars. You can see when the bright lights hit some jewelry, or shiny spot on a cup, or microphone stand, or something. You would see blinding flashes that would look like bright glare-white "stars" with very black halos around them. As the person walked across the stage the different parts and pieces would flash and blind the camera in several places. It was a very interesting effect. It looks cool today to see that on an old recording, but it was a serious defect back then that you tried to avoid.

Look close at the early shows. You will be surprised to see cars without any glass, and some that look brush-painted with flat paint so the pictures turn out better.

25. rcr81

rcr81

Saw this last week on an episode of Andy, it was the one where aunt Bea is doing a commercial for a wax and this is what the film crew showed up in. Pics off of tv with my cell phone so the quality is crap but it gives you the idea....I thought it would be baddass bagged....lol
    20100728154834.jpg

Oh and the paint was dull...:D Kudos for TVLand for the Andy Griffith re-runs in the afternoons now, works perfect for me cuz I work mids and I get up when they come on....gives me something good to drink my "morning coffee" to...:eek:

26. mr crocket

mr crocket

Goober ran the car wash.

27. Da Flash

Da Flash

Ah Yes,,, Cool57,
    You are right, I have used hair spray on location with vehicles when dulling spray was unavailable. Mostly on large trucks and related wheeled objects..
    Da Flash

28. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Goob was an employee at Wally's Service station, and later bought the business. I've not ever seen anything related to him running a car wash on the show.

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

anybody else start whistling the theme song when they saw this picture?

[​IMG]

30. jerry325w

jerry325w
    from baltimore

re green in black and white, if you notice the first season in color, all the walls and moulding are green, i mean everything.:D