Register now to get rid of these ads!

700r4 trans help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MR K., Aug 15, 2010.

1. MR K.

MR K.

hi everyone, i am using a 700r4 for my 41. i am in the stage where i am testing the cars mechanical items in the shop while its up on jack stands. I am tuning the engine today and playing with the shifting linkage. First question: what is the gear order? second: in all positions (but park) the wheels go forward....where the hell is reverse on these?? not to be confused with the second question, but will reverse not work if i don't have electrical power to the trans yet, i did buy the kit from speedway to run the trans without a computer, i have put the internal guts in, just never ran the plug-in-harnnes to the trans yet. is that why i have no reverse?

2. The shift pattern on the 700r4 is PRND321. The torque converter clutch is the only thing that requires electrical input on the 700r4. That should have nothing to do with not having reverse.

3. Ratfink749

Ratfink749

Gears P R N 4 3 2 1... All are hydraulic. The only thing the electronics are for is torque converter lockup. If you aren't getting Reverse, there could be other internal problems. It will continue to roll in N just due to the internal parts all rotating and a little friction between them.. the tires *should* stop rolling with very little effort. If they don't, added to "No reverse" then yes..something internal may be wrong. Valve body problems perhaps. Hope this gives you a little to go off of.

4. MR K.

MR K.

Thanks guys!

5. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

if you have the car up on jacks, the rear wheels are going to spin differently than if they were in contact with the ground..ie: one wheel forward, one reverse...don't let this confuse you, just check the direction of the driveshaft...

6. terry48435

terry48435

7. 63feuni

63feuni

Pull trans pan and do visual inspection of internal linkage hookup to manual valve. Manual valve can easily come loose from internal linkage.

8. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

pulled one from a wrecked s10 that did that. shifter had gotten bent, messed up the internal do dad.

9. drod5604

drod5604
    from california

yes i have a 91 chevy cheyeene 700r4 trans and i put a lockup kit in it and still have no lockup i need help where to look. ive been told to check the main shaft o ring or the valves stuck in the pump or the converter bad what should i check first thanks [email protected]

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Try governor as well.

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Didn't want to start a new thread for this since it's in my OT parts chaser. If it sits for a month or so it takes maybe 5-10 seconds to engage drive. After that it works fine. A sign of impending doom or just refilling passages that have drained? 700R4, 1995.

12. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

reverse clutch not applying. Valve body, shift linkage. Governor should not have anything to do with reverse.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

blowby does it have that problem even if it idles for a wile ?
    Could be the converter drining back but if it goes into revers but not drive it may be a valve hanging up in the valve body.

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Don't know, I'll have to try that next time. What has been happening is that I start it up, wait 10-15 seconds, put it in drive, nothing. Blip the gas, still nothing. Wait another 10-15 seconds, blip the gas again and it goes. It's fine after that as long as it's driven every week or so. I'm driving up to Portland next week (have a bit of relay room) and looking to avoid a breakdown. Thanks for the reply.

15. joel torres

joel torres

Threw my r4 in reverse and it didnt go i had to rev it up for it to bite. Everything else is fine :(

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. txturbo

txturbo

That is usually a sign of hardened o-rings leaking by. Easy fix is to put some Trans-X in it. It has rubber conditioners in it that will soften up the o-rings and they will seal well again. Used that stuff for years.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Make sure you have enough fluid in it