Register now to get rid of these ads!

Crushing junk yard in OK.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pee Wee, Aug 13, 2010.

1. For $1,200,000...., I'd hapily crush every one of those cars and sleep like a baby. :D

2. bonebroke

bonebroke
    from WI.

money being the root of all evil is just a way of me saying i wouldnt crush my car for $400 even if i only paid $200 for it! i guess im not that greedy, or needy. so...if its all about profit ,anybody inherit a clean oklahoma '41 ford coupe body from grandma let me know, and ill pay $50 bucks all profit!!
    i guess when all the cars around here are rusted junk, it sucks to see any getting crushed.

3. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

I'd like to know who is paying him $400.00 a piece for scrap cars?! I worked for my father-in-laws car flattening business for 12 years and we used to pay $10.00 a piece for them or $25.00 if there were a bunch (saved us running around picking them up with the deck trucks). There is no way a scrap car has $400.00 worth of recyclable metal in it, somebody ain't got the story right. If a scrap company is paying that they will be broke before the job is done. Not trying to be a dickhead, it just doesn't make sense to me.

4. Right now the recycling yards around here in Fl are paying about $9 per hundered pounds to the general public for scrap cars, so a 3500 lb car would bring about $315 in iron scrap. With that many cars in one place, I'm sure a large wholesaler could come pretty close to paying $400 per car, especially if they are pulling the radiators seperately.

5. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Thanks Habit, I stand corrected, guess prices have gone up considerably. I guess I can add $9.00 per 100lbs to the value of my car:D, think Hagerdy would go for it?:D

6. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Just baled a bunch of machinery, scrap metal and about 125 cars (late models) for $125 a ton. Check came to about $36,000. The reason why I have been posting on similar threads. #1. Don't be a BEBACKER, if you don't have the cash, leave a deposit. This way the guy knows you weren't just there wasting his time. He'll gladly give you a receipt. #2. Always buy something, even if it's a rusty hubcap to hang on the wall. Yards are not amusement centers, there are bills to pay. #3. Don't be a SQUEAKER. We all want a great deal, but do you get to name your price at the grocery store? Ask the price, if it's too high say, "A little more than I was prepared to pay today." Usually you'll get a response of "What do you got?". This opens negotiations instead of pissing some one off. Cars get baled because a large one time check is better than putting up with all of the hassles. I've owned several yards. The most frustrating was the one full of 50's cars. Everyone thought it was a museum. Nobody wanted to buy anything. Finally losing my ass, I thought I would have an auction. Got all the cars lined up, fixed tires so they would roll, marked cars with titles. Loader available for non rollers. Legal paperwork for cars without titles etc. Day of auction sold about ten cars. Highest price $300 for a 58 Chevy 2dr. Several sold for $35 each. People in the crowd who had been there several times looking at cars never bought a thing. You guessed it. After the auction about three hundred cars went to the crusher. I'll spare you the details of what the cars were. This has been over twenty years ago, and I still think about it a lot.

7. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

1.2 million would buy a lot of cool, old cars to build. Oh yeah, all the old, cool cars got crushed. Maybe I can find some cool 90's cars to mess with. The yard owner can do what he wants with his inventory. Yes, it is sad that many cars are gone, but why is it that no wealthy investors are buying up all these old yards?

8. blt2go

blt2go

great explanation lowriders art. when i was in school in stillwater a buddy and i used to roam the hauf's yard alot. bought up a bunch of t-3 headlights and always managed to leave with something i couldn't figure out. great yard and great people, the really good stuff has been gone for quite some time and i would say the owners made the decision that was best for them and their business.

9. I'm sure that they were'nt all "Cool old Cars" , I'd bet that 95% were shit that no one cares about. Put yourself in the old guy's position. He wants to be done with it. Probrably wants to clear the property so he can sell the land as well.

Can you imagine what a focking nightmare it would be to try and sell 3000 old cars? Imagine all the tire kickers and flaming assholes you would encounter! It would be cause enough to ruin your liver, or stick a .45 in your mouth or someone else's :eek:.

I say Crush Away, Old Dude! Crush Away!:D

10. Bluedscrewed&tattooed

Bluedscrewed&tattooed
    from AUSTIN,TX

Is there any way to get an inventory of what he still has? has any one been there to take a look around? does anyone have any pictures?

11. mrrocket

mrrocket

Seems to me, at 400 bucks a car, any one who is complaining about his crushing should go buy, or arrange to have bought, the car they think is worth saving. If someone knows if he has a 54 Ford car with anything solid, and wants to haul it to Fulton Missouri for me, let me know...I don't think I'll get many takers on that!

And as long as someone else has money, it means I can get some of it.

12. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Bigchuck, wealthy investors? It's already happening. It's called government and the big three. They won't mess with these small yards, but it is happening. Big yards are getting bought and closed all the time. No parts for the family huckster means go buy a new disposable car. It is next to impossible to get a license for a new wrecking yard these days. I know from personal experience. In our area the local big yards just suddenly closed on Saturdays. Closed on the busiest day of the week. Also happens to be the only day when the working man could go get parts. Coincidence? Old cars are not a threat to the big three, but iron prices and regulations effect every yard. Question? Are yards in other areas closed on Saturdays, or is this just a Montana thing?

13. looks like - Low Riders Art Gallery and I...maybe RustyNewyorker are all on the same page....sorry but get it or get off the seat...

14. long island vic

long island vic

is anyone close too the place...im looking for an austin pickup or a 50 51 taunus...if he has one ill pay to get it out and on a truck

15. Dirk35

Dirk35

They are really nice people. Great guy, very hospitable. Anytime I ever went out there, he always offered coffee. But if you go out there, you had better not be in a hurry.

You can call him during the week as he no longer has the yard open on weekends. He knows exactly what he has. He has been trying to clear out all of his cars for quite a few years as he is getting older and its more difficult for him to take care of the business.