Register now to get rid of these ads!

348-409 W motors,Speed and dress up parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kan Kustom, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I have been looking up speed and dress up parts for a W motor lately and am kinda suprised at how few I can find.Is it me or are there not as many that were or are available as for ,lets say,early Hemi`s,Nailheads,Rockets,Flatheads etc. Please chime in W motor guys.

2. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Edlebrock makes a few intakes for the W motors, for both small and large ports. Edlebrock also makes bolt on heads, and valve covers. Speedway Motors sells some of the dress up parts for W engines.

Some here may tell you that "they are not 'traditional' hotrod engines"

3. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I wouldnt understand that one. They came out in 58 and have been in hotrods every since. Falls in the 64 and under heading.

4. From what I have discovered there was not alot of speed parts, Offy & Edelbrock intakes and valve covers, I have a magneto in mine, some cams offered but not much else that I know of.

5. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Cragar made peices. I have a Cragar timing cover and would like to get Cragar valve covers.I missed a Cragar 471 blower manifold a while back.Did I mention,I love Cragar stuff? I know there has to be more W stuff out there.

6. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

7. Tindall

Tindall

you can dress them out pretty well...ive found most of my stuff at swap meets...

[​IMG]

8. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Matt, your car is a knockout!

9. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Good stuff is easy to find ...........

[​IMG]

Max Gearhead and '37-4D like this.
  10. Rodder29

Rodder29

11. memphisrain

memphisrain

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I just sold my 348 powered deuce roadster project. It had polished Offenhauser valve covers and 2/4 intake, Lamar Walden polished water pump, Alan Grove lower left alt mt. MSD plug and play distributor, and a Powermaster starter with Sanderson headers. Inside had Isky cam, springs and lifters, Ross forged pistons, and the rest was freshened up stock stuff, new valves, hard seats, etc.

13. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

anybody that tells you that the 348-409s are not hot rod engines is living in a world of their own design...a lonely world. Those engines put out all you need in a hot rod, and do it while NOT looking like every other OHV V8 you run across.

dj

14. pdq67

pdq67

Imho, "W" engines are in the class of the nailhead's and early MOPAR Hemi's for cool factor and will down-right run if you want to so do!!! Mine ran like a SB on steroids..

My hopped up 409 that I put in my '67 Camaro SS/RS fit on it's all stock 350 fine and looked factory stock.

Love those big "W" stock chrome valve covers!

pdq67

15. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

This is what that "W" needs. PM me if interested..
    Duane.

Attached Files:

turboroadster likes this.
  16. F&J

F&J

X2....those 348/409 motors don't need much makeup...natural beauty:D

..just add 3x2 or 2x4 and you're done:cool:

Boy, the later 60s sure was a bleak time for a 348 owner:(...all I ever heard was "truck motor" from the muscle car guys.

17. elricho

elricho

18. concreteman

concreteman

Nice -super clean :D

19. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

That motor is AWESOME !!!!!!

20. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

A 340 hp 409 in a 32 5 window
    And a 474 stroker solid roller cam Richmond 5 spd in the 62

Attached Files:

turboroadster likes this.
  21. Cool parts were hard to find for many years but the future looks bright for W-Motor enthusiasts. For example, Barry Grant is coming out with a cool 6 shooter 3/2 setup for both small and big port 348's and 409's. What you need is out there but will usually take a little digging to find.:cool: Click on the link below to see lots of cool W-Motor stuff.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I love this stuff! You guys have some awesome motors.Keep it coming.

23. Larry T

Larry T

Aluminum heads, custom pistons, any type of camshaft you want, stroker cranks and assemblies, custom blocks, Edelbrock intakes, Moon, Offy, & Edelbrock valve covers, headers. What else do you want. It's all out there.
    Larry T

24. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I know the advertised stuff is out there. I am trying to bring some of the rare stuff out of the woodwork so all W motor guys can enjoy it. As I said earlier,I have a Cragar timing cover and have heard of Algon,Winter etc. but never seen the stuff.

25. I've posted photos of my Algon parts (timing cover and intakes) in the 348/409 social group. I'd also be interested in seeing (and likely purchasing) Cragar parts.

There were plenty of speed parts available. Offenhauser, Edelbrock, and Weiand made 6x2 and 4x2 intakes, Cragar had blower parts, and Algon had fuel injection. DuCoil, Spalding, Roto-Faze, and Vertex all had distributors or magnetos available. The first four had dress-up parts such as valve covers, too. There were even nifty marine hop-up parts available.

26. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Just my opinion, they are a traditional motor with a huge following. Two new blocks are now available for purchase, an aluminium block punched out to 632 cubes and the cast version....

Attached Files:

• 409.jpg
      409.jpg
      File size:
      41.6 KB
      Views:
  27. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

Hey guys, looking to purchase a 348 - but trying to get some info on these casting numbers: 3755011 CK1660

can anyone help me out.

Thanks,
    Scott

28. The block was the 2nd design with cooling holes to support the new heads. All 348 blocks were made at the Tonawanda plant with the exception of some issues that casued GM to cast them at the Central Foundry. Perhaps the CK is that??? Looks like it was cast January 6 of '60.
    A 409 crank will bolt in that engine and will allow you to stroke it. Seems like you have to use big block rods. there is a thread over on the 348-409 site that details all of that. Those fellows over there are making a lot of torque monsters for sure.