Register now to get rid of these ads!

'50s song titles on your ride -- common???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomsrule, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDR

RDR

Car names were definitly common in 50s-60s.....some had song titles but many were just an identity same as your HAMB name......my first car bought in 1959, a '49 Chevy as named "C NOTE" for the $100 bill it cost me....other local cars of the era was a radically low '56 Ford PU called "DUMPT TRUCK"...an Olds powered '46 Pontiac fastback named, "POPS WORKCAR".....and some song titles....a Cad powered '40 Ford 2dr named,"COME SOFTLY"....a '54 Ply hardtop named "CRAZY LITTLE WOMAN" owned by a gal....could go on and on but will spare you.....just want to say....CAR NAMES ARE "TRADITIONAL" and cry babies, stuffed animals, even dice are for 'GOOK WAGONS'......:p

2. L7

L7

I don't know about back in the day, but now it is not uncommon in my neck of the woods to see some rock and roll theme painted on a trunk lid (mostly on the 50's type customs) and maybe a music note.

Back in high school I knew a guy that had - think it was a 60 chevy station wagon- painted rear windows like a sedan delivery, no name on it but, we all refered to it as the meat wagon - and he wasn't a butcher! ;)

3. SouthSideSlick

SouthSideSlick

Slightly off topic, but I had a friend in high school who had a Cutlass. He had a hard time getting girls so we always called his car the "C*ntless". True story...you can't make this shit up!

4. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

Hot Rod Lincoln......Fine song that fits

5. I guess you name a boat. Might as well name a land yacht too.

6. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

My Dingaling is still up for grabs.

7. You are a sick individual...

8. Deuces

Deuces

Cool song though.... :D

9. "Blue Bayou"
    ( Blew-By-You)

I love that.

10. 53Rags

53Rags
    from BC Canada

My 53 Chev 210 is named "Rags". Tony Bennet fans will get it.

11. meteorgasser

meteorgasser
    from Lodi, Ohio

I've seen "Rockin' Little Angel" on quite a few. Same goes for "Plum Crazy". Saw Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown" on a car once at the Ducktail Run in Indiana. Not everyone knows that tune so I was surprised.

12. Bob James

Bob James
    from San bruno

That belonged to my buddy Mike Ness
    He loved that car, it went thru alot of changes and he ended up selling it to move on to full custom stuff. I always liked "Only the lonely"

13. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Yea, I was there in Riverside, 1957, with my stickshift fastbak 50 Buick raked n lowered with them grille teeth almost on the ground. Named it 'RAUNCHY', by Bill Justis.
    was one of my favorite songs, and it kinda looked the part.
    wished I still had it
    My buddy had a 49 Plymouth, called it 'Ocean Motion' cuz of the ripples in his paint job.

if ya thought its corny then you werent there.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  14. rocknrollratfink

rocknrollratfink
    from LA

Transfusion would be a cool name for a real bucket... ya know the kind that you'd be scared shitless to drive on the road?

15. dragster dude

dragster dude

here in aus in the 70's evey panel van (or so it seemed)was named

16. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

being a bomber crew chief, i prefer aircraft nose art names.

i call my bird "Lucy Quipment"

to date, I have lost 5 trim rings, and a spider cap center.

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Bought a 53 Chevy 210 sometime back that had "For Your Love" painted on the 1/4 glasses.

18. I too, like Randy, grew up, hung out around the Eugene-Springfield area in the 50s/60s. Car naming was popular then and still today. Some to add to Randy's list are some of mine, a SBC powered 36 3W named pink poison, 56 F100 -blown 3i2 in it, Weekend Warrior, 301SBC 57 Bird "One Eyed Jack", others around the area were Sloe Gin, Old Crow, Short Stroke, Mother's Worry, Tinker Toy, Eliminator, Lady Bird. Some from Seattle area were Tug Boat, Green Whorenet, Lil Stinker, Dueces Wild, C Ducer, Harbor Lights, Seattlite.
    The "50s" Cad powered 40 I built in 74 is named "Come Go With Me" from the Dell Vikings 57 hit and "Weekend Warrior" still adorns my 65 Dodge A990 Race Hemi car.

Attached Files:

19. Growing up in our little town there were a few cars with names on them, the one that stands out the most was '55 Chevrolet White over Orange that had a mural on the trunk of a cop cars dash looking out at the '55 going down the road with a radar showing 55 with the name "Radar Love". Supposedly the car is still around down South East USA, anyone seen it by the way? Another buddy named his '55 Chevrolet "Golden Years" .And the current car I am gathering parts for was my childhood buddies and when we were 11 years old he had already named it, a 1942 Chevrolet Coupe, "Wildthing" by the Troggs.

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

:eek:Hahhahahha..you fucker..you owe me a new monitor..and keyboard:cool:

there's coffee all over the dam place:eek:

21. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

22. In 1958 in Dallas Texas "Big Mike Burkhart" named his 58 Ford "Peggy Sue" It also held a 430 cubic inch Lincoln engine and a four speed and it showed many a car its ASCEND at the Dragstrips around Big D back then. He later was in funny cars in thier very early days .

23. BISHOP

BISHOP

For whatever its worth, and for reasons only dear to me, I named my 33 pickup "Peyote". But there is no good Peyote songs, and I damn sure aint going to pinstripe "Peyote" on it. Cops would like that.

I cant stand that goofy shit. The Green Grenade is the only car I think gets by with it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  24. Was common in my town in the late 50s/early 60s...we had "Blue Angel",[47 Plymouth 4 door sedan] "Lollypop", [46 Ford coupe] "Duke of earl" [55 ford sedan] and we also had some cars named after some of the popular TV shows. We had 'Maverick" [38 chevy coupe] done up in western font and "Untouchable"...dark blue 38 Buick sedan...there was an identical 38 buick sedan in deep maroon with "Elliot Ness" lettered on the lower front fender. They'd cruise together..
    Then some guy with a deep blue , dumped 51 Merc tudor lettered "Naked crotch" down behind his front tire...Saw it while "cruising the gut" on foot with my gearhead buddy one Saturday nite...Next Monday it cruised past the school with a nice black primer spot where the name had been...word was the MAN made the guy spray can the name out right on the street before he'd let him go.
    Oh yea....we also had a dark red 55 chevy ragtop with Earth Angel on it.
    Got a local buddy who had a brown 49 ford in high school..named it "little brown jug"..now, that's goin back a long way.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  25. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

Thanks for the input, people. Lots of interesting names .... and a few that are not so great. I'm going to start a thread asking for name suggestions for my '62 Corvair Rampside P/U. It's on the way to becoming traditional: black suede, red hubs, in the weeds, custom flipper caps, etc. If you have a suggestion, don't leave it here but put it on the new thread: "NEED HELP NAMING MY CORVAIR P/U." The name might be from anywhere, a '50s-'60s TV show, an old song, a phrase, a lewd suggestion, or ??? I thought about using my HAMB handle (kustomsrule) but it doesn't sound like a name for my Rampside. Thanks for your input --- and go to the new thread.

26. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Back in 1961 I had a '50 Chevy two door sedan that my ol buddy Chuck wrecked. Chuck's Dad made him pull the front clip off his '51 Chevy (BellAir mind you!) and his girl friend Nancy (they married later) helped my put my '50 back together and on the road.
    It had a metallic blue front with pea green body so I had a friend letter "Half Breed" on the quarter panel sides just behind the doors.
    Also my friend Tony has "Sandra Jean" his wife's name lettered on any car he builds until he sells it.

27. Cruiser

Cruiser

It seems to me that now days it's a big thing on the right coast and less so on the left. Look at video's of Lead East and cars with names are all over the place. I would never put a name on one of my rides, I think a well done clean kustom will always out shine the add on stuff. Names on other guys rides is fine with me, but those ugly crying dolls are the ultimate corny. "Keep it clean, keep it cool".

CRUISER :cool:

28. teddyp

teddyp

all my cars have or had names some songs some just names that fit my 50 chevy is moody blue cause when i found it the valve guides were shot and when cold it blew blue smoke my 58 ford is put together with swap meet parts and parts others gave me so i call it loose change it.
    is part of the fun of having the car

29. We had a few of the previously mentioned names on local cars back in the early 60s. One of my classmates had a black primered '54 Olds with "Miss Carriage" on the rear quarter; a guy in a neighboring town had "El Cid" on his '55 Chevy (a movie starring Charlton Heston); another guy in our hometown had "Maverick" on his '57 Chevy (his name was JD Garner), but my favorite around here was a white '60 Impala hardtop with "Little Town Flirt" on the rear quarter.
    The former owner of my '57 BelAir had what everyone thought was a fox painted just below the back windows. The car was yellow and the name was "Ol' Yeller".

30. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I saw that car once in Lincoln Nebraska, Wouldn`t of made the connection without the name,Wanderer- I liked the extra body work on it. . ROCKY- Little Brown Jug-49 Ford, was that Harrys, his chopped 53 Ford-Just a Dream. Never can forgett-Sweeter Than Wine-Chopped 40 Merc,carson top. My dads 51 Vicky has been My Special Angel for close to 30 years over the coarse of 3 different paint jobs. Then there`s Teds 48 Merc coupe named Teddy Bear. He removed the name when he chopped it and added a carson top. Just to name a few. Does anybody remember any of these. It gives the car a little personality and more reconizable.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.