Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another WIW: 1957 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamed34, Aug 12, 2010.

1. flamed34

flamed34

I saved this Savoy from the big crusher in the sky several years ago when a certain state congressman wanted to a) reduce his liability with the EPA by closing a junkyard he owned with his brother and b) sell the oil soaked land in the middle of BFE to the state for a landfill for millions (the rest of us would have been screwed, a politician makes $$$$).

Anyways, I'd been looking for a '57 or '58 hardtop forever and thought this would fit the bill. But with so many other projects in waiting, I've been considering selling this and holding out for the hardtop.

So....what does the HAMB think this would be worth? I'm thinking of loading it up and taking it to the Charlotte swap this month at the Speedway. I have an idea of what it's worth, but I want some other opinions.

Condition: Frame is solid, body is overall solid - needs rockers and the lip around the wheel wells replaced. Front fenders need lower patch panels. Floor boards are in overall solid shape. I have most of the trim / head light bezels / grille strips / tail light housings, etc. No bumpers, no title. There's barely a scrap of paint on it - supposedly a chemical they used to use in the junkyard to keep the weeds at bay also ate paint (what I was told, can't confirm). All the glass is intact, but the windshield is cracked. Doors are solid and don't sag on the hinges. No running gear.

So, what do you all think?

Attached Files:

2. James427

James427
    BANNED

Glad you saved it, but that's not a high buck car. I'd say maybe $500.

3. George

George

4. Squablow

Squablow

Being a 2 door, and if the front fenders are solid all the way around the headlight area (not concerned about the lower dog legs, just the headlight area) I would think you could get around $1000

57-58 Plymouths are popular cars, and generally not cheap to buy if they're reasonably solid. Even the 4 doors get some love. But this one, without a title, drivetrain, and totally covered in surface rust, is hurtin' pretty bad. This car looks like it's right at the point of, do you buy a rotten 4 door and swap all of the pieces onto this body, or do you buy a solid 4 door and swap all the 2 door stuff off of this one onto the 4 door? It's not very buildable without a parts car.

5. flamed34

flamed34

Thanks for the input.

I've built lots of cars over the years and it's really very buildable. A good media blast and high build primer would take care of the bulk of the body with the exception of the patches. I have looked at probably 50 57/58 plymouths over the years and most are rusted out to the door handles, LOL. And yes, the headlight area is solid.

I agree, a parts car would be beneficial for a build.

If this was a hardtop, I'd already be hard at it...just being a sedan, it doesn't really meet my desire.

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Yes these cars rust like hell, it's part of their charm! I would say $1000 tops, probably a little less. What I've found that's weird is, you better find someone local to buy it. It doesn't seem a lot of people are willing to ship these when they are parts cars.

If you decide to part it out, I need both complete doors :D :D

7. flamed34

flamed34

Gotgas...love that wagon.

I had 2 '60 Plymouths...add a unibody to the Plymouth's propensity to rust and you have lots of fun! I had to rebuild the headlight areas and pretty much the entire lower portion of the Fury's body (under the stainless fortunately!).

George...thanks for the link. It's been a while since I've looked at mopar sites...I might just start buying parts and put it together after drooling over there for a while.

8. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

I know someone in TX that might be interested....I sent him a link to this thread.

9. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

i got a 56 plymouth poly v8 for sale. decided to go with another motor.

10. teddyp

teddyp

that would make a great gasser not often seen as a gasser and you wouldn,t have to keep it stock blow people minds put a nailhead in it ha,ha

11. flamed34

flamed34

Ha! I have a '63 401 nailhead sitting on the shelf...slated for my '27 roadster, but it would be different in a Plymouth!

12. rbmain

rbmain
    from Newark, CA

I've bought 1950's Plymouths better than this for $300. Lucky if you even get an offer at $500.

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Interesting thought! I'll have to try and Photoshop that.

14. flamed34

flamed34

RBMain,

I'll send the car hauler...pick me up about a dozen '57 and '58 Plymouths at $300 each. Hell, I throw in an extra $100 for each convertible. While you're at it, find me a couple '53 Vettes (I'll go $500 each) and a few Hemi Superbirds (I think $600 should do it).

15. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Here in Kentucky you might get $300.00 to $500.00 for it. A lot depends on the area you are in.

16. Mickey_Rat

Mickey_Rat

I had a 57 2dr Savoy a few years ago. No one really wanted the whole car so I parted it out. It's a hassle but I made out a lot better in the end. (by the way I still have the back window & qtr glass if anyone needs these)