Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron67

Ron67

OOPS! I just used "school me" in another thread!!! Sooo Soorrry.......

2. Ok i resisted the urge to post on the last thread like this but here goes;

1. People that say "RPM's" It's ROTATIONS per MINUTES, not ROTATION per MINUTES's..

2. People that refer to an FE as a Y-Block..

3. Sellers that don't educate themselves before they put something up for sale.. Someone already hinted to this point but the internet has granted the common man information from experts in just about any field so if you posted an ad online that states, "not sure what it fits," then you obviousley shouldn't be posting an ad online since you don't know how the internet works.. I've sold alot of things online and as a rule if I can't figure out exactly what it is and what it fits I won't sell it till I do.

3. rustdodger

rustdodger

The other half of that one is "locally owned" as if where you are has some superior sort of vehicle that would make a "local" car in some way better than cars from outside the area.

4. It's ROTATIONS per MINUTES ?

NO S on minutes ..:rolleyes:

5. Well, people commonly say, 'RPMs', when they mean to convey, revolutions per minute(singular on the minute). We're referring to the number of revolutions in a single minute. But nobody ever says, 'RsPM'.

Everybody but a few nuts says, 'RBIs', and that's long been known and accepted to mean, runs batted in. Nowadays there's a mini-movement to say, 'RBI' for both the singular and plural forms. I can't get used to that and you can't make me change. It's RBIs.

6. and you misspelled ad.

7. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

"Needs a good cleaning"
    when referring to a pitted chrome piece or oxidized aluminum or magnesium.... like a little soap and water will make it like new :rolleyes:

or

"Taking offers starting at $500"

8. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

I'm particularly fond of the sellers who have already diagnosed the problem and looked up and listed the price of the replacement part in their ad for me... awful kind of them. But if that's all it needs, why isn't it fixed and selling for more?

Then there's anything along the lines of "Doesn't Start. Needs Battery." and you call and say, "If I bring a battery (or whatever), can we run it?" and then you get the laundry list of excuses... {Click.}

You either misinterpreted what he/she/it was saying or should get a refund for your tuition since you were probably also taught about "tenses" prior to High School. "Needs" is simple present tense. "Restored" is past tense.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

Numbers matching car might mean a lot for a 1970 SS 396 Chevelle but just doesnt seem to capture my attention on a '52 plymouth lol

10. all credit applications will be accepted, doesn't mean they'll be approved.

11. if you're going to be on a hot rod forum, learn how to spell deuce!

12. historynw

historynw

Truely immaculate.
    Survivor.

13. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

Damn me, this is the BEST topic EVER!! My favorite is /was / and allways will be, Complete, 'Cept for-------,----------------------, etc. I have checked out cars and parts for potential buyers and gotta say, 99% of the time it ain't worth bringin' home. BUT, there are exceptions.

14. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I just read an ad for an old truck that said "rough but complete." The next sentence said "Missing driver's door."

15. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

16. Ads that say "Eldebrock , Elderbrock, Aldebrock, Eldabrock , etc.
    If you have one to sell, you could at least look at the spelling on the part.
    That goes for people who pronounce it wrong, too,

Same for Weiand. It says "Say Why And" right on it. Not Wee -and, Wile- and.

" Gonna get me a stall , (stahl)..." Already covered here.

This one's probably a typo or ad taker's mistake, but I've seen it.

"New ball points"

also "12 volt rear"

17. 59, 60 ,or 61 Chevy (or Caddy ,Olds,) "bubbletops". There was only one hardtop style in those years .
    The term came about because of the 62 Bel Air HT with the 61 style roof. Used to differentiate between it and the formal Impala style roof.

I'm sure I'll get an argument from someone on this one.

Big Block Pontiac... I've even seen this in magazines.
    Only one size 287- 455 .

(Nobody cares about the low deck 265 and 301s)

18. VenomousType

VenomousType
    from Atlanta GA

i dont know why i hate it so much but i fuckin hate when someone calls it..

elderbrock.

19. VenomousType

VenomousType
    from Atlanta GA

oh shit.. i didnt see Markyac's post above me..

EXACTLY!!!

20. Just about any description under any picture in Street Scene. Especially when they're telling us about a beautiful 5 window coupe in the picture when it's a '29 or it's telling you about the blown big block Chevy motor :)D) and in the pic above it's obviously a turbo charged small block. Talk about people who should know better.

My favorite thing though is to open a Street Scene and read about a "traditional" street rod with 20" Foose wheels and a complete C5 Vette drive train. What made it traditional was the $15,000 black suede paint job I guess.

The sad thing is the young guy's read this junk and don't know any better so the problem just keeps getting worse.

21. I am well aware of what, "RPM," stands for. An accronym should be comprised of the first letters in the words of a given phrase. Therefore since the "s" pluralizing "Rotations" isn't the first letter of the word it shouldn't be present in the accronym. I don't demonize anyone for using the phrase it just kind of rubs me the wrong way. Settle down cheif, I wasn't attacking you, or anyone, personally. BTW I must be crazy too because i say RBI

22. GuyW

GuyW

"straight axle" when they DON'T mean an axle which has no drop, but rather a beam axle....

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  23. abc123

abc123

One of the only....

24. GuyW

GuyW

The motor/engine argument is never-ending, just like the aluminum/aluminium or 9mm/.45 debates...

25. GuyW

GuyW

Nothing wrong with that, its just a correct as "dragged".

26. ClimisCD

ClimisCD

Arizona or California Car. The Pacific is salty the desert is hot,dry and dusty. Why should I pay extra for a car that doesn't get rained on as much. Also, like new. If it's not new, it's not like new, it's like used.

27. The old "bought this car from the parents whose son never returned from 'nam" line. This is especially popular line used among the muscle car owners.

I have heard this old line at least 1,238,789 times over the years and unless the government was lying about the 58k KIA figure......

28. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Those were made when Vic. Sr. was still alive;)

29. I have a friend that hunts out west, most of the cars he finds in the river basins and gullies are 32 fords. I didn't know there were that many still around. Come to think of it most coupes he see's is a 32 Ford, bugs the crap out of me.

30. "Lady owner" also means the brakes were only used within the final thirty yards preceding the stop signs.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.