Register now to get rid of these ads!

Generator vs alternator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1low51f1, Aug 12, 2010.

1. The real advantage of an alternator is that it puts out more at idle than the generator. More stop and go... more advantage.

That being said, the 6V in my '53 Ford works great; the headlights are pretty bright and everything. Good generator, new battery. Wouldn't bother changing anything.

BTW, when I have to replace the battery, I would probably use one of those dry cell Optimas; they don't look 'right' (so what, this car is really a driver; not a looker), but the build quality on the one I got for my truck has made me a true believer. But, I wouldn't necessarily throw one out in the open on a car where I cared about authenticity and appearance.

In the end, it's your $$$ and your choice. Just make sure you do what'll make you happy.

-Bill

2. To answer your question, no, a generator won't run halogens...for long. I tried a 6V pair on my DeSoto, and the generator couldn't keep up with them...

3. F&J

F&J

My car has a factory generator, factory EFI, and points ign. It IS a 1970 and were built that way through the 73 model year.

I am not making this shit up. You just haven't figured out the make and model. :D I just drove it halfway across the state today to pick up some hamber hotrod parts...the generator held up very nicely for some reason. ;)

4. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

I too have the Fenton 2X2 manifold, on an 8BA with two Strombergs. The one wire alternator works well for me, as does the non traditional overflow tank, fuel regulator and see thru filter, radial tires, pressurized radiator, etc. Tradition is what you make it. pigpen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. F&J

F&J

shoulda stopped by my place. i'd of helped you reset the reg

6. 1low51f1

1low51f1

which alternator do you have?

7. Sounds like a VW Type 3 (Squareback or Fastback) which did, in fact, have a generator and EFI...

8. F&J

F&J

.....;)

9. Thought so. I used to work on 'em back then. :D

10. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

GM one wire from Speedway Motors. Chrome for about $95.00. So far.. works good, lasts a long time.:) pigpen

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Caught! It was either that or a 911 Porsche! No foul, but I was just reading through and I caught it too!