Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 54 Chevy - Emergency Brake - HELP/OPTIONS??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BenDover, Nov 15, 2009.

1. BenDover

BenDover
    from SGV, CA

Hey Fellas,

I've got a 54 Chevy, 327, stock brakes, 700R Trans, 69 Camaro Rear and a floor/trans mounted Genie Shifter... Has anyone installed the E-Brake option from Genie or other aftermarket kit?

Jeff

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2. BenDover

BenDover
    from SGV, CA

anyone?
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

3. jeff there is a company in santa fe springs called control cables they can make custom cables to fit your original parking brake mechanism i also have a nice genie parking brake handle for sell or trade

4. BenDover

BenDover
    from SGV, CA

I wish but with the sbc, new trans/rear end the origional mechinism wont work... I think my only route is a gennie shifter/hand brake add-on but havent heard of anyone doing it sucessfully and dont want to spend the money to find out it wont work...

Thanks for the response!

Jeff

5. check with the guys on www.chevytalk.com as this issue has come up before on that forum.

6. stop by when you get a chance i have done them before

7. bag it and use the sparking brake.

8. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I have read about people relocating the stock unit 6" to the left, or using one from an s10 (cheaper than an "award winning" aftermarket copy :rolleyes:) or if you have bucket seats, rob one from a 80s model camaro

9. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

How is you emergency brake coming? I saw a guy who simply disconnected his because it didnt work with the oil lines on a 261 in his 53 chevy. I guess he has more guts than me to run the stock, single resevoir brakes like that. Keep us posted on your solution.

10. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

In my previous car I used a Camaro rear with 2 cables and Caprice Sedan ('77) emerg. brake foot pedal with 1 cable. Connector in the middle. Works perfect.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have had hot rods of all types, and even installed high buck emerg brakes-never have had to use 'em. unless you live on a steep hill in San Francisco lilkely you will never need to use one either.,

12. 50merc808

50merc808

i just did the same thing ...sbc,700r4,open driveline, single resevoir master (for now). been thinking about making some sort of hydro e-brake (got some spare stuff laying around), just gotta figure out the correct way to plumb it. gonna get on it after i switch to a dual master...the single with no Ebrake is starting to give me BAD feelings.

13. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

I had my single resevior in a 53 chevy moredoor go out on Academy Blvd in Colorado Springs, CO. Luckily, the original e-brake was still connected, and I nursed it home. Since then, I wont go without one.

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

51 Chevrolet Business Coupe with a V-8 swap. Floor shifter for the automatic. Used a parking brake floor lever from a FWD GM product. 56 Chev rear end with the stock 56 parking brake cable. Used the stock 56 "horseshoe" at the cable pull with a short primary parking brake cable, and a couple of wire cable clamps. Simple, effective, looks good, but we'll be using bucket seats. You can mount the stock parking brake pull to the left of the steering column and get creative with bending up the parts, but it just seemed like too much work. Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, I hope you're joking.. :confused:

When I was seven, My dad and I ran to the corner store in his '56 buick, brakes failed leaving the store.. E-brakes are our friends.

16. robleticia

robleticia

Man, I need a solution to this too! Just ried installing National Chevy's floor shifter in my '51 and the shifter is hitting on the e-brake brackets that are on the trans crossmember! I got so pissed I had to drink MORE beer! I was considering just cutting all that old crap out and removing the under dash handle. Is there a cheap (junk yard) solution, possibly a floor mount? Could you just tie back in one of the cables to the rear or are both really necessary? And YES I already used the search button! Thats how I found this thread. HELP!!!!!!

17. thistle

thistle
    from Illinois

I'm having the same problems. Last owner clipped the cables at the rear brakets and removed everything from there forward. I am looking for a solution but am unsure how to adapt thingsup toward the stock brake lever. I have also used the search and this thread is as close to an answer as I have gotten. It seems like a common enough problem. Does Anyone have pictures or diagrams? Thanks.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

.... or a regular driveway and you have a clutch. my Dodge rolled out into the street in my friends driveway once while we were in the house. car was IN GEAR.

kept a big block of wood in the trunk of my last V8 49.

19. Most GM car pedal handbrake pedal/release deals mount with just a few bolts, it can be a bitch to get to them sometimes, but to put one in another car all you have to do is drill a few holes. I can't imagine why you'd spend extra money on some trick aftermarket one unless you're building a show car. The FWD car lever handbrakes aren't much different, a few bolts to install, but if you have a bench seat there's no good place to put one. Just pick a clunker and take it apart - or hit eBay and see if anyone else has one already out. Somewhere I even saved one from a '58 Buick because it was in good shape and relatively compact.

20. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

It'd be really nice to use the original setup. I have been trying to figure this out today myself. It works, but when it comes to mounting it on the new crossmember I can't easily see how to make it work.

21. IMG_0936.PNG Rod and custom did an article years back on this. I don't have the info anymore. They did a
    53. Lots of good stuff in that series. They used a g body I think foot operated brake mounted to the left kick panel. I used that on one of my old 54's and it worked just fine. Hope someone has those mags and can offer up that info.
    The ebay ad is old but you can see if you had that mag you could find other dates

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  22. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

The Lokar transmission mounted e brake is a fine unit.

23. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just had my 54' at a custom shop who the owner said they can mount the pull up lever in front of the front seat sideways , that didn't work so he says they can't do it now . I have Camaro rear with lokar cables cut to length right crosses over & have em mounted at junction block on frame , gonna do e-stopp on frame to junction & just run wires to fuse box & dash button . Looks line will work very easy , I have right cable secured to floor bottom above drive shaft .... Should work