Register now to get rid of these ads!

Have You Ever Said No to a Magazine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Aug 12, 2010.

1. I have had more than a few mag features over the years including a cover, but when Rebel Rods (I think that was the name) asked to shoot my Coupe I politely declined saying I didn't think it fit the magazine "style"

2. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Exactly, makes about as much sense as all the "traditional" fiberglass cars and handles that contain the word rat you find on here....:D

3. That is some funny shit! Toad Stool!? Buwahhahhahahahah:D

4. crossroads

crossroads

She said that because she doesn't know anything about the true history of Hot Rods , Customs, Americana - Period ! Her and Johnny come lately editors like her write so much garbage that it almost makes a mockery of this entire culture. They know nothing about what they write !
    Hop Up , Rodders Journal , Rod & Custom , Hot Rod Deluxe, Kustoms Illustrated. Nuff said .

5. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I was asked once to be in a low-budget mag that did features on young gun builders, I declined because I hadn't done much to the car and didn't feel like I had done enough to deserve space in the mag.

That said, if I had a decent car and someone wanted to put it in their mag, heck yes I would!

6. crossroads

crossroads

One more thing. If a magazine who's name does not have the letter "Z" at the end enquires about your car - go for it.
    Stay away from mag's with "Zzzzzzzzz"

7. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

Any publicity is publicity, it is up to you to choose what type you want to be involved with.So if you don't think your car fits then don't do it. My cadillac was shot for streetrodder, which was crazy at the time because I think its a full kustom and very traditional, and after that shoot, it was like nobody else wanted it. and now it has been shot for Kustoms illustrated< which I love. but hasn't ran yet,the mag guys say they don't all want the same car, so if it's in one its kind of done. but d'augistino's cars are in about 5 mag's after every build, and loads of advertisement, just depends on the caliber of car and if you want to pimp it out that hard.

8. heavytlc

heavytlc

When I was doing a different kind of car/truck thing I never would do it. I still ended up in the magazines. It just depends on what you want seen of your ride. At the very moment I would laugh my ass off if ANYONE wanted to shoot anything I own. Well maybe if they had a big gun, that would be cool.

9. Tman, Denise,..........YOU TWO ARE MY HEROS ! !

Recently had a brush with OSR. Replied to an Editorial, you know, a piece written to generate discussion, they didn't seem to realize that fact. Did it without malice and name calling, just tried to make a counter point. Well, apparently, I made the point a little too well, must have hit a nerve.

The OSR response was to call me names, ask "who the hell I thought was, and who gives a shit what you think" He even went so far as to attack my masculinity, which can only lead me to conclude there may be latent homosexuality lurking in the responder. Never even brought up the subject of my editorial reply, probably because their position was indefensible.

OSR was recently described to me by a heavy hitter in the Hot Rod & Custom world, and within our midst, who shalll remain anonomous as: ..... "one car guy surrounded by trash".

Well, to answer their question of who am I ? Just a guy who likes traditional Hot Rods. Who pursues the form enough that Rod & Kustom and Rodders Journal had enough regard for my Deuce to do a feature about it. It has also been included in several books including Alan Mayes book on Hot Rods. Alan must be the "one car guy". A very nice gentleman by the way, must be an uphill battle for him every day.

I think saying no to certain magazines is prudent. Kinda like, I'm particular who I drink with.

Johnnie.

10. I turned down Playgirl cause they wouldn't let Me wear My Shades !

11. In the old days at the Street Machine Nats, I had an O/t Vega (BB, glide, 9"). The night before I'd been doing the stupid with the car (bleach burnout in a crowd, couple of 3 grand stoplight launches). Anyway, I shattered the wimpy 9", and got towed back to the fair grounds. A buddy to took me home. Got my truck, borrowed a trailer a headed back to retrieve the Vega.
    Next morning I'm loading it on the trailer and some guy from Hotrod tells me he wants to shoot it for the special issue they're going to do about the Nats. He sees me winching (boat) the car on the trailer and I point out to him I shattered the rearend and was going home. This guy acts like he doesn't see the trailer, and tells me it should only take a couple hours and I wouldn't have to move the car much. I point out to this asshole that moving the car at all is impossible because of the shattered rearend. He gets all bent out of shape, and tells me most people here would bend over backwards to get their car in Hotrod. I told him I didn't know about backwards, but I sure as hell wasn't going to bend over. Then I told him to help, or get his ass out of the way.
    My first and only chance at magazine fame.

12. magazine exposure for future resale can really be tricky because if they make a mistake and then in a future issue make a correction not everyone will see it and then you just made the wrong kind of history for your vehicle.

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Evereytime I walk past Playboy in the newsagent, it calles to me...........

Doc.

14. HRod 50

HRod 50

Sooo the Consensus is ????????????????????????

By the way, I mentioned those mags as just a reference for being on a larger scale than the one that has asked. But if you guys want to keep going on a tangent about how crappy those magazines are, by all means have at it..

15. toml24

toml24

Exposure in the automotive media is incredible. If you own a car or truck that you are really proud of and a media person wants to take photos, DO IT. It will be the best decision you will ever make.

16. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

What IS the mag that is offering you a shoot? I've had 3 cars I've built in mags. The first car, I was offered by one mag, then another offered me a full cover shot so I went with them naturally, both were major news stand magazine too. The 2nd car was shot for multiple mags. The third was just a short article. Like said above, any media attention is good attention... for the most part. You have every right to turn down a mag if you feel that their material isn't up to your standards, but that is also how the smaller publications start out, it's hard to start a new one. All in all it's you choice, I'd say go for it.

17. erlomd

erlomd

I say go for it if you get what ever opportunity....whatever magazine its in, even old school rodz, will enlighten someone and make them remove the coors light beer can overflow and actually fill the floor with an actual floor rather than roadsigns....

18. DougHH

DougHH

i would. why the hell not.

19. i had some of my 1/8 scale hot rods featured in a mag and got payed for it. its a buzz that ive got no regrets about. i think you should do it. it may be a real positive thing for you.

20. I have to think my condition would be that they make sure the model they bring is hot, single, not a bitch, and willing to give her real phone number to me. I like what I see there, they can go ahead with the photos. Sort of a 'you get a spread now, I get a spread later' kind of thing.

Otherwise, it's flattering, but I can't see worrying about it that much.

21. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

You should have ran a poll if you just wanted raw numbers.

I was asked to write for a trade magazine. No one outside of the industry has ever heard of it, but I can say I'm published. Do it for the fact you can say it was a feature car; you don't have to say in what rag...

Oh, and the trade magazine paid me $550 for the three page, 16 photo write up on how to flame a mailbox. I then sold the mailbox I did for the article for another $125. Not a bad way to earn $675 for a day's work.

Vance

22. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

I would go for it. Its always cool to see your car in a magazine..

23. Lucky77

Lucky77

Guess it all depends on the photographer/magazine. In the Summer of 08 some dude approached me about a photo shoot, I was like "Hell yeah!" as my car had only been on the road for a few months. A day or two before the shoot he calls me and says "Do you know any models?" Luckily my girlfriend (at the time) agreed to be in the shoot as well. So we both blew about three hours on a Sunday, had to drive two cars to a crappy location 20 miles away, and she didn't get any money for the modeling gig.

The kicker, a year went by and we didn't hear anything. This January I get a call out of the blue from some guy who's taken over for the original guy who set this whole thing up. So I did an hour long phone interview with this new guy who said the article/pics would be coming out in about 2-3 months. That was January of this year and still nothing. Plus I'm not dating that chick anymore, and the car has gone through a lot of changes since the original photoshoot.

So if Rod & Custom or Hot Rod wanted to shoot your car, I'd jump on it. If some random dude hands you a business card with ORS/CKD on it (like happened to me) I'd probably pass. Here's two pics from the shoot.

Attached Files:

24. I would do it for the sake of posterity. So future generations can see what you accomplished. Look at it this way- don't _you_ think it would be cool to have an old magazine featuring a car that your dad/ grandpa/ uncle built??

However, I would CAREFULLY ensure they get ALL technical details CORRECT. Getting published is kinda like facebook, youtube, etc. Once the data is "out there", you have NO control over it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  25. I've been lucky enough to have a car featured in Hot Rod Magazine. I would say it was a great experience. Had a great time at the shoot hanging with Jeff Koch.

It was a real hoot going to the shows afterwards and having people come up and Say" I recognize that car from Hot Rod." No-one ever expected to see a "magazine car" at a small town show, or local cruise, in the middle of Michigan. It was a great conversation starter and I met lots of people due to the coverage.

The big thing for me was the fact that I have worn out car mags looking though them for inspiration and ideas. The thought that some kid in Podunk, Iowa was taping my picture up on his wall and motivated to have a car like that someday, was a cool thought. I also love the fact that 20 years from now someone will be flipping through an old issue of HR and be inspired. I've been that kid and I've been the one looking through back-issues for inspiration.

Overall it was an awesome experience. That being said, there are certain magazinezzzz that I would say NO to.

26. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I turned them down because more "men" buy that magazine than women.:eek:

27. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

I used to be the stunt double for John Holmes, But as far as getting my cars/bikes in a rag I would have to say YES ! Been in several trading times publications, Cleveland Plain dealer, Hemings classifieds ! Life is good.

28. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Ha,I declined also even when i knew the the person doing the shoot for many years.I think i would rather see it in a ad in the pennysaver than a feature in osr.

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

We've done a few shoots at the shop. One was pitched as being for OSR. Never made the light of day.

Murph's truck...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rush's Buick.

[​IMG]

Misc. from other shoots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I usually have fun with them... I say do it

30. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

There's a lot of guys bagging on OSR. I seem to see a bunch of hamb cars in there for the last year or so. CKD too.