Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1929 dodge help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by STANLEY29, Aug 12, 2010.

1. STANLEY29

STANLEY29
    from muncie in

To make a daily driver using existing frame, what front axle should I use? I would just like to put modern running gear under my Dodge so it's dependable. I realize there probably isn't a bolt on so welding new brackets and such is no suprise. Help!!!!!

2. mink

mink
    from CT

You search and see if a disc bolt onto the original spindles kit is available . or you can cut the frame up and in stall a modern front end ie mustang II

3. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man I have 28 dodge victory 6 mine is low.It has a aftermarket model a front cross member a standard width front axle. I put a narrowed super bell in first time and had to change it out for a wider axle I have split bones under mine and a vega steering box .

4. I think the Super Bell route is an easy one then you would be able to use late model brake components. You could use a mid 60's mopar steering box turned sideways and make up a drag link with 60's or 70's steering pieces from a supplier.
    My own car I may go this way or the Mustang II route either will work well. Rob.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

How about going with an appropriate width tube axle with a slight drop from Speedway, and use either Chevy passenger spindles or early ford with a disc brake kit. Then rebuild and de arch the front springs. A Vega or an earlier Mustang box could do the deed as far as steering goes. It's the way that sort of thing used to be done, but I do realize that it is not the most modern way to do it. In my opinion, a Mustang II would look horrible under the front of that car.

6. mal-capone

mal-capone
    from Australia

My 29 Plymouth has a 48 Ftruck front axle and brakes. I just welded up the original holes on the Ftrucks axle and redrilled the pads to suit, then sent the axle to a axle works for lowering, remove some leaves from the spring pack and got them reset.