Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My latest project, 48 Thames gasser or not???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trailer-Ed, Aug 11, 2010.

1. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Well here are some pics of my 48 Thames that I just got. I've been so excited. Thames' are one of my all time favorites since I was a kid. I have several models I have built etc. This one got posted here and I nabbed it as fast as I could! Really nice old body, minimal rust and damage. It was an old hot rod at some point so there are a few crude mods, but nothing I can't overcome. It screams for a straight axle and old rear etc, but I personally really like the ground hugging aggressive look. I will not modify the body any more than I have to. It will have a soft top etc again, but it will definately need some structure added for strength etc. My plans are a Fatman front end with coilovers, and a triangulated 4 bar rear, 350/th400 combo, The slotted wheels pictured with a 9" ford rear. I want it to look really bad ass, but be totally driveable and reliable. But I have some gasser pics and they look really good that way too. Man I'm stoked, but I have to save some $'s or sell a car to get moving on it. Later, Rusty

Attached Files:

2. FatMan would be good!! I put one under my 48 Austin gasser and drove the H out of it!! I may be biased though since I build "em!! Dave @
    fatmanfab.com

3. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

very cool looking ride...congrats!

4. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Sweet looking van.

Gasser would be cool

5. Wow, that's a neat one Rusty.

6. GASSER! You could still drive it:) too.

7. Gassers may be cool, but if you already have a plan to drop it and make it look aggressive, then go that way.

I have to admit, I have built a few of those models myself, but none of them were ever gasser style.

8. Weasel

Weasel

This may sound paradox but there is a guy near me who has a stock appearing Thames van but it has a V8 60 under the hood with 2-2s and Edelbrock heads.

I understand your quandary in wanting to build it two different ways, but in the end it is all about being able to live with it on a daily basis, drivability etc. if you want it to be a long term keeper - and who wouldn't?

9. rustdodger

rustdodger

I think the gasser style is soon to be beaten into the ground (if not there now), but there are a few body styles that were very typical of gassers in their heyday,and you have one. There are few cars that I would suggest a gasser style build for but this is one.

10. Shade Tree McGhee

Shade Tree McGhee

Do whatcha wanna, but whatever it'll be, this is a super cool ride. Congrats!

11. Dirty2

Dirty2

independent in the front equals total GAY !!!!

12. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

I think the gasser craze has been done to death as of late. Use a turbo 350, they can be built just as strong as a 400, are smaller, and use less H.P.
    Good luck with your project.

13. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great looking project.................:)

14. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

The 48-51 Thames /Anglias have always been one of my favorite cars.

15. Just give up, and I'll be there with the truck and trailer in a week....
    Don't take this the wrong way, sir, but I hate you. 8)
    That is one of the cars on my Bucket List....
    CAE straight axle, narrowed Olds, ladder bars, kidney bean Halibrands....