Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone got cool/novel/traditional battery boxes in their rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boulderdash, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I think he meant COOL battery boxes for traditional cars...hows that ? Jeez you guys get them panties in a bunch quick!

2. F&J

F&J

Some did...:D

Here is a 1971 pic of my old hotrod built in the late 50s or so... :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

3. AntiBling

AntiBling

Personally I'd like to see some battery boxes that aren't billet or plastic or some ugly modern battery that sticks out in an otherwise traditional looking hot rod or custom.

I must've missed the memo when this site changed from a place of sharing ideas along a common line to policing peoples ideas before they are even shared. So how about the people that like to do the policing of what's right and wrong hold your tongue so people can show off their ideas.

Feel free when someone posts something like this:

[​IMG]

Feel free to speak up then.

Everyone posting up ideas or what they have done, thank you, this is something I've been thinking about lately.

deadbeat likes this.
  4. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

Very Cool Battery Holder. Great one of a kind Battery Box. Even cut out for a Gel Cel
    Thanks for Sharing

5. Barz51

Barz51

^That's not traditional! Where are the iron crosses? Where should I Great Stuff the plastic rats? Jeez!^

6. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

If you're using a sealed box of any sort, don't forget to vent the box. Safety first! :)

7. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

I'll bet it looks a lot like this one...

[​IMG]

I paint this one myself. I was building the coupe with a 60-64 era look. This Mt Dew design was what they used from '58-66, give or take.

Vance

8. "It's your car, do what you want" I get sick of hearing that! I come here for tradition and history, to see how it was done way back when. Did guys really use Coke coolers and ammo cans, or just strap 'em down and forget them? What about the really detailed show rods, they must have done up some nice stuff, I just don't recall seeing much in the old magazines.

9. This one looks pretty damn good

10. badshifter

badshifter

Vintage show rod battery box = White pleated naugahyde with red piping stiched in a box shape placed over the battery. Simple. Color may vary.

11. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Thats the one.

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are going to use an Ammunition crate be sure to get a period one, no bigger give away than having a 5.56mm F1 Ball type (Or link) round stencilled on the side to give you away as to it being modern and non-traditional!
    You want 7.62mm or .50cal to be period correct, I mean D'uh!

Yeah, I kinda have an aversion to military stuff like that in cars. I guess I spent too much time living with the shit.

I always thought that if you could find the remnants of a period battery and gutted it, a modern battery would fit inside it.
    Wire the modern internal battery to the original batterys electrode posts so that the motor wires bolt right to the 'old' battery.
    What better way to be period correct than have an actual 50s or 60s battery itself? Then just clamp it down as normal.

Doc.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I like the 49-51 shoe box Ford battery box. I like stuff with louvers.:D

Damn right I want a traditional battery box. I used to make my own out of 1" angle iron but it's cooler to use old parts. IMHO.

Personally I care about EVERY part that gets bolted onto my hotrod. Details matter!

14. junkmantom

junkmantom

Here is a pic of one I made for my 34. When I bought the car it had a butched up angle iron bracket bolted here, it worked so I made a new one that looked a little nicer.

Tom

Attached Files:

15. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

Military foot locker with a plastic battery box inside. It needs some paint, but the look fits the truck.

Attached Files:

16. big creep

big creep

paul i think this is the best one! do you have another? i would love one!

17. Canuck

Canuck

Not a lot of room in the trunk, but my plan is to use a battery for a Honda, nice and compact and readily available. Just not sure that one will do the job for that ol nailhead. So made up a pair of vented boxes that would fit at each end of the gas tank. Couldn't find anything big enough to hold the battery and small enough to fit the space.

Still a bit of stenciling to do. (50 cal, etc)

[​IMG]

Don't worry that nice shiney aluminum gas tank won't remain that way. There are plans for it as well.

I know they are not traditional, but home made or modified with a traditional influence.

Canuck

18. Battery box??? You mean I have to find a place to put a battery to. Oh for the love of Christ!!!:D Actually mine is between the seat and the trunk on the pass side in a wood box with no top. It's an optima because I had to put it inside the car.

19. fleetside66

fleetside66

My (vented) battery box, which is a Craftsman tool box I bought back in the early 70's. It's worked out very nice, actually.

[​IMG]

jazz1 likes this.
  20. I picked up an vintage Hamn's Beer cooler on evilbay that will house the battery in the bed of the 36 pickup. The beer cooler drain plug makes a handy vent.

21. Before the trad police jump on this I'm sure he meant to say thirty-aught-six........

22. Very neat and tidy - good job!

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

really? you've been here over a year and still clueless about what "traditional" means here?

24. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I personally think this is really fucking cool, since tradition holds that really fucking cool things are accepted, I don't see anything wrong with this. If I saw them for sale by the hundreds in a summit catalog my love affair would diminish, but as a one off piece that this guy built and only he has, awesome.

25. 41 C28

41 C28

Fuel tank cover and battery cover.

Attached Files:

26. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Heres one in my 45 truck I'm doing,:D Battery box on hinges and gas tank cover.:cool:

Attached Files:

27. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I don't have pics of it, but a long while ago I bought a metal battery box out of a vintage van from someone here on the HAMB. Going by the rules, it should meet NHRA tech, and will go in the back seat area of my '57 wagon gasser.

-Brad

28. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Sure are a lot of "red tops" on this thread, "premium price for a 1 year battery, OH YEA!!, I no longer have any use for those pieces of shit, I am giving Odysseys a try now.

29. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

too many people take words on here literal. i think the OP means "traditional" as in not some plastic, shit looking box, etc.

on a side note (this is a really old pic, a lot has changed) i need a battery box in my '55. think im gonna get a smaller battery and just go with a simple metal box with a vent lid that i can get striped

[​IMG]

30. angeli rebeli

angeli rebeli

Thanks for the ideas. We were also wondering about Picnic baskets.