Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lets talk driveshafts for my 52 chevy!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sam Navarro, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Alright boys, I've always had great luck with my questions being answered here on the HAMB so let's give it another go!!! I'm installing a turbo 350 transmission and I have a 69 camaro rear end, I'm wondering if there is any stock driveshaft that I could possibly get from the local pick and pull that would fit right away??? As always any info is greatly appreciated! Sam

2. There is a problem with your question.

There are far too many possibilities out there, you are going to have to actually measure the distance between the transmission seal and the pinion yoke. Make a post with some actual information like that and you might just get a response.

3. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

i used a 70's caprice driveshaft in my old 49 sedan bolt in deal..:D

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

be careful with junk yard drive shafts since they pick the cars up with giant fork lifts there is a good chance that they are bent. happened to a buddy of mine.

5. 52 csb

52 csb

Hi sam, i have a 4speed and 70 gto rear axle under my car.. The stock GTO drive shaft fit rite in there... Good Luck jim:D

6. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

A simple I don't know would have been fine, thanks to all the others for your info. I appreciate all "helpful" advice!

7. You're right, I should have let your post fall to the bottom again without a response. Won't make that mistake twice.

8. RPIERCE

RPIERCE
    from Alvin Tx

Who pissed in your cereal this morning?? Damn.

9. I got one for my OT Mustang years ago from the boneyard that had a bad vibration that came in at 2500 RPMs. Took it out and eyeballed it up, it was bent. Never thought about how it could have happened until now.

Bob

10. CARLOS8A

CARLOS8A
    from waukegan

I guess your best bet would be measure from tail shaft to rear end and go to the junk yard and start measuring!!! but a brand new one on my 52 cost me 120 bucks!!! cant go wrong with a new one......

11. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Seems to be a lot of variable. Measure the yokes. Inside cup or outside retainers. Measure from rear seal of trans to center of rear end yoke.

Just went thu hell on 60 Apache. Swapped rear for a 12 bolt and added a a t-10. reduced over all length by 12 inches.

12. NAPA part #54664

fits right in there perfect!

13. gas pumper

gas pumper

I got a saginaw 4 speed in a 54 with a Nova rear. Centered in the wheelwells, not on the spring pads. The 76 Nova driveshaft fit perfect.

14. You new guys get me,:confused:,ELpolacko has been known to go way outta his way to help people here,,He was trying to help,,you are way to quick to be a smart a$$,,

Position of motor mounts can vary as much as 3" or more,,long tail shaft or short on the transmission? HRP

15. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Hey new guy, get a $.99 tape measure.

16. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

While there is a strong possibility that a HAMBer has the same exact engine/transmission and Camaro rear end combination as yours in a vehicle like yours ... the engine mounting points will vary the correct answer. :)

Do you have the driveshaft out of the 69 Camaro donor vehicle ??

You need a Turbo 350 driveshaft yoke ( ideally from the vehicle the Turbo 350 came out of ) and install the yoke into the rear of the Turbo 350. You will be able to see where it sat depth wise ... originally in the donor vehicle.

[​IMG]

See the wear ring on the yoke ??

Duplicate that seal wear pattrn in the Turbo 350 to the yoke fit ...
    ( or just push it in ALL the way and pull in back out 3/4th of a inch ) .
    Then measure from the center of the yoke U-joint to the center of the rear end yoke. SIMPLE :D Then go look at GM vehicles that came with a Turbo 350 or a Powerglide. The Powerglide uses the same yoke ... in a lot of vehicles.

[​IMG]

I would imagine you can might can find one ... if you are a good parts hunter. My favorite JUNK YARD has a room with all the many hundreds and hundreds of driveshafts hanging from racks. Not many junk yards do :eek:

I would start by looking at 69/70 Impalas ... or other of the larger GM vehicles. I would bet that the Camaro/Novas driveshafts will be too short for what you need.

I rarely have to buy a completely new or custom made driveshaft. In my 40 plus years of messing with old junk ... I think I have had two modified ( shortened ) . I have always found one the correct length ( over a dozen times ) . Even when I could not find one the correct length ... I got one too long and had it shortened. TWICE ... I had driveshafts shortened . They were just used junk yard driveshafts but just too long. I had them shortened ... for a cost a LOT less than the construction of a new driveshft.

17. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Everyone here is correct, you'll need to get those measurements. I went for a new one, had a local guy do it who I know does top notch work and takes the time to make sure it's balanced with the yoke and U joints you're using. Some guys who have been doing this for years and years I'm sure are capable of using old ones or modifying them, but I don't have that type of experience and chose to leave it to a pro. I didn't skimp on anything relating to the brakes or driveline.

Good luck!! :)

18. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

I, as always appreciate all of the info I get on the HAMB, I have fallen in a huge bit of bad luck with my car and finances that I set aside for it. I started this thread for the honest reason of trying to conserve some $, I have never EVER built a car before and unfortuneatley a lot of my buddies who have the expiriance haven't had the time to help me so I'm going at it blind with my buddy tcnotch. I've decided to go ahead and get a new shaft built to just avoid all head aches! Thanks to all again for the advice, hope to be on the road soon. Sam