Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumbest thing an "EXPERT" has said about your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SOHC427, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

Can't say how many times I'm asked if my AMC has the Buick 401, Ford 390, Dodge 360, or the old Rambler 327 is really a Chevy, right? My answer is usually AMC engineered their own engines, but, they did use the GM 4 banger, and an Audi 4 also.

2. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

About 10 years ago I missed an original owner white, '59 Chev Belair 2-dr hdtp 6cyl, stick, air, by about 15 minutes [owner's on the phone with a big antique Chevy dealer]. The car was owned by a former SAC pilot, with a Texas [I think] SAC sticker still on the windshield. The car shows up 6 months later advertised as a numbers matching 348, tri-power car, SAC sticker still in place. I call the seller and he swears the car has never been touched, and that he is life long friends with the original owner.

3. gunk

gunk
    from phoenix

left hand, under your left leg, is like someone else's hand. Not true.

4. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

I don't know about dumb but certainly irritating.
    I took this Belair to a local cruise-in on a rain threatening overcast evening. I was told my car was really nice and perfect for a day like that day when you don't want to screw up your good car.

[​IMG]

5. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

I never seen one of those. Who makes that kit?
    Is it all fiberglass?
    What was it before you started?
    How big was it before you started?
    You don't drive this on the street do you?

Attached Files:

6. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

I know this has happened to lots of rodders. I was in my 36 Ford coupe and a guy said he had a green 40 Plymouth just like mine...

7. Abomination

Abomination

8. Took the coupe out on sunday was close by and some d*ckhead walks up with his mates and goes, i really like this coupe, but its too shiny. wtf?

9. mojo66

mojo66

I met a buddies new girlfriend saturday. He told her about my car, i showed her a pic(1966 Ford Fairlane with a STROKED 427, Wimbeldon White) She says"you shoulda painted it black" i Said its never been painted, she still insisted I should paint it black!! dumb kids, I shoulda slapped her as she was showing me a pic of her stock WHITE 95 mustang.

10. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I been looking to buy a driver and at one of the local shows I was in the car corral and happen to spot a real nice early bronco that was there. Just out of curiosity and owning a few in the pass I went over to look at it. Well why I was there some young guy and his girl friend/wife came up and started talking to me how he owns one and how they are hard to kill. Being that I have owned a couple I started talking to him how these truck were fun and you could go any were with them. during the conversation he was saying how he is on his second engine and he would keep it forever. Finally I ask him what year it was it thinking it was an early bronco and he said it was a 1989 Bronco II. All that came out of my mouth at that time was "that not a bronco. Its a peace of shit and thanks for wasting my time".

11. smoked1

smoked1

:DOver heard a spectator say"look another blazer under that old chevy pickup" Mines a 59 NAPCO original 4X4. I said to him take a closer look. He was impressed.

Attached Files:

12. nummie

nummie

when my willys had the original engine in it yet, i was asked what it was and i said 134 F-head. then the jackass jeepster owner "informed" me that flat heads were called L-HEADS and called me an imbicille. I said "well F-heads have one valve in the....oh nevermind.

13. I went a little mad restoring a Lotus Elan and ended up spending around £10K ($15k) on the body, then another £20k on the rest (yeah I know).
    It was perfect.
    I only did around 200 miles after getting it back then some young d...head hit it on the rear quarter, so it went back to the body shop for repair.
    The d...heads insurance company asked if they might send their assessor out to check the damage, I agreed and then realised that It might be prudent to have my guy go out too.

Gald I did, first the dicks assessor first asked the body shop owner which car he was supposed to be looking at!!

Wait it gets better...

My body guy points out the Elan amongst the modern stuff.
    What. That shitter over there? Says the assessor

He was thrown out.

14. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

This just happened the other day, I parked my 31 roadster at a cruise-in, and parked not far away was a 1970s VW "Baja" Bug that had the top cut away, like a speedster / targa roof effect, and was for sale cheap. A guy tells me "hey you should buy that one for spare parts for yours" At first I thought he was joking...then I realized he really was that clueless. Does a Model A roadster really look like a VW Bug?

15. mr409_62chevy

mr409_62chevy
    from ashley

a 65 chevy never came with a 409

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

"I used to have one just like your's, except it had a different engine, different paint job, it was 6 yrs. newer, and had different interior and wheels!"
    In other words it wasn't much in common but the model. Duh.

17. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Interesting story: A friend of my Dad ordered a new 425 horse 409 in '65, but when the car showed up, it had a 425 horse 396 instead (production of 409s having ended before his was produced). He declined to accept the car and later bought it at a discount off the lot.

-Dave

18. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

I was at the roundup this year waiting for the sunday cruise to the lake to start.
    My coupe is sitting there idling with the temp at 155.
    A guy walked up and said 'all these flatheads overheat'
    I just turned and said that it is usually an asshole who has never owned one that says that.
    The car had been sitting there idling for 30 mins.
    MORON

RIP ED

19. International. Who makes that?

20. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

On a trip to Bonneville, I stopped into a little gas/service station to fill up. My GMC Sonoma has a whining fuel pump that hasn't caused me any problems in over 40K miles. when the mechanic heard it (and saw my out of state plates) he practically RAN to my car and told me my water pump was on the verge of going out and leaving me stranded. I knew he was full of it, but humored him when he asked to look under the hood. He grabbed the fan and gave it a shake, "See there? it shouldn't be moving like that. I can have one here in a few hours and have you on your way before nightfall". Rather than point out his misdiagnoses, I thanked him and told him I'd risk it. that was 3 years ago...

21. bizcoupeguy

bizcoupeguy

totally dig when people "love that '57 chevy!" even the old timers that say they had a
    '57 chevy just like mine back in the day.............ugh

22. That's ludicrous....how could anybody confuse your car with a '57 chevy. That's like assuming all cars made in the late '50's were actually '57 Chevy's... LOL

23. lovea57Ford

lovea57Ford
    from TN

This brings back some funny memories.

Lots of pages to go through, so I don't know if it's been said or not, but it's been my experience that guys who cover their cars in crap are trying to hide shitty panels/bodywork. Used to show with a guy that we called "The Zoo" who had I'm wanting to say a '50 Ford PU, black, flamed. He would literally cover the bed with stuffed animals, including a Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and Taz that were taller than I am. Everyone was wondering why he put it all over a otherwise nice looking truck, but me and my dad stayed around one day talking to some friends, and we found out why. As he was taking his decorations off the truck, you could plainly see from a distance, that the bed was full of pits to the point that it looked like he painted over sandpaper...And this guy had boatloads of trophies he'd put out with the thing too..

24. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I had just finished putting Suicide doors on my old Bug, and was profiling at the local burger joint, when an elderly lady stopped and asked, "Why would you do that? Volkswagen never did that" my answer..."because Volkswagon never did this"... Can't tell you how many people think it came that way on early Bugs. The clue is the '32-'34 Ford door handles

25. tomslik

tomslik

yeah, they did.

26. cuda man

cuda man

"You running a Boss 302?"-Neighborhood kid on a bike thinking my '73 Cuda is a Mustang
    "Nice Camaro"-Another teenager
    "What kind of Ford Engine is that?"-Uninformed observers who see the Mopar 360 in my '41 Plymouth, painted Chrysler Engine Blue
    "But that's Ford Blue!"- Usually the response to the previous comment

Years ago I had a '71 Charger SE with the factory 383 Magnum. One guy thought the 383 meant it was a Six-Pack, and the "8" was for number of cylinders, and the two "3"s was added for the number of barrels, and the "3" meant it had 3 carbs.

27. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

So I go to a local car show. park my Henry Ford all steal full fender Roadster wipe it down sit back chating with friends . Other so calld car guys come over looking at the Roadster then thay ask what year model A it is. DRIVES ME CRAZY

28. HAVWgeek

HAVWgeek
    from Killeen TX

Teenagers are stupid.

The ones I hear at car shows all the time (that make me laugh)
    Does that have a Hemi in it?
    My uncle has something like that
    My dad has something like that
    My ______ (random person) has a car like that running in the 8s
    My Honda is faster (albeit, I have seen fast civics, but they are like honest politicians, few and veeeeeeeeeeeery far between)
    Why don't you put a supercharger on it?

Generally, what I was taught when I was younger comes to mind:
    1. If you don't know what it is, ask.
    2. Don't tell someone what they should do unless you want to pay for them to do it.
    3. No one gives a fuck who you know and how fast their shit is.

29. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

"I had a Falcon once just like yours. But it was a four door and it was a Chevy"

30. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

I can top you all! "That's not right" lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.