Register now to get rid of these ads!

Modifying tin snips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Angel of Sin, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Angel of Sin

Angel of Sin

I am trying to figure out a way to modify the handles on my tin snips so they fit my hands. I have really tiny hands so I need the handles closer together. I thought about heating the handles and bending them, but I am concerned that this will weaken them and I don't know how I could do it without destroying the plastic covering. Anyone have any ideas? I have the Wiss metalmaster compound action snips, right and left, this is a pic of the right cut pair
    [​IMG]

2. The handles look to be made of sheetmetal - so just pie cut them with a Dremel and weld up. The plastic grips should pull off - warm them up if needs be.

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

like this? :D

[​IMG]

All kiddin aside... bout the only thing you could do I would think is to shorten them maybe?

4. Chris Cissel

Chris Cissel
    from Fresno Ca

Ha Ha Ha. I thought it, you posted it!

5. crapshoot

crapshoot

hahaha same here :D

ok on a serious note only thing if you bend the handles down your going to lose leverage an they might not close all the way. what about extending the handles out farther and making them cross over each other. might look weird but could work

6. Buy a drill-powered nibbler - that'll solve all the problems.

7. Like BlackJack said, Take a Dremel and cut slots out of both sides of one handle. Cut a slot and try it, if you need more cut another slot until you find the best fit for you. Weld and grind smooth. It won't take much to make a big difference. 1 or 2 degrees at the most. You can soak the plastic handles in water to soften them up. You can use some waterless hand cleaner to help slide them back on.

8. 65COMET

65COMET

I;ve been a tin knocker since 1969,know where you are coming from!! The nibbler won't work on everything,double cuts are the same way,sometimes only tin snips will work.The plastic handle coverings will slide off,they usually do when they age anyway.You could bring the handles closer but you need to check how close they are when the are all the way closed,not just in the locked position.If you decide to move the handles,I suggest you only move one,not both!Remember too,that hand snips are only good up to 18 gauge mild steel!! JMO,ROY.

9. Angel of Sin

Angel of Sin

Thanks guys. I'm going to try notching and bending the handles... I'll post some pics when I get them finished

10. Guess I'd better quit using mine on 16ga.:rolleyes:

11. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

What about using plain old-fashioned tin snips? The handles on my three pair come together, unlike the newer ones.

Attached Files:

12. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

How are the snips going to close properly when you cut out their working travel? I think you need to look at some other types of snips that will work for you.

13. pitman

pitman

Attached Files:

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If you need to remove the outer covers, simply ship them to me and I will put them out in the shop for the balance of the summer! Constant 110 degree weather seems to loosen them up quicker than anything!

15. switchkid0

switchkid0

The first thing I was going to ask was about the Burger King Commercial, but I go here too late.

There are a lot of different ratcheting pliers and cutters out there. You might be able to graft your snip jaws onto something more ergonomic.

My only other suggestion is to get yourself a teenage son or some other kind of booger-picker to works for free. Have them do all of the cutting. That frees you up to be an "artiste".