Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods See the USA...in a Hemi-Powered Model A.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Me too, Ric! Get the '40 back on the road and we'll go somewhere!

2. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Weren't you chasing Big Ric down the mountains in Colorado and couldn't keep up back in the day?

3. Elrod

Elrod

Too Cool! Love all the pics, and the one of the Bass coupe next to your coupe Chris.

I was just about to ask why everyone was wearing long sleeve shirts and coats. It was 106 degrees here yesterday!! haha.

Kick ass post as usual Brian. Glad the coupe isn't acting up and giving you miles of smiles. Safe travels and see ya back in Texas. Oh, and take some more photos of your trip back. They have been great!

J

4. BIG RIC

BIG RIC

I will! Man u got me fired up! I wanna go work on it now!
    Thanks for the inspiration brother Bass!!!!

5. 322century

322century
    from Europe

Hi Brian,

Have a nice trip !!!

Michael (From Europe)

6. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

Way to roll, man. I would love to do something like this someday.

7. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One hell of a trip....Thanks for sharing.

8. bob-o

bob-o

Very cool man. Thanks for lettin us share the trip with ya! Really makes me wanna do that trip to the Lonestar Roundup I keep dreamin about!

9. Man what a trip! Love your car it was my favourite of the show! I looked for you but never got a chance to talk to you ,maybe next time . Have a safe trip home!

10. Brian,

You are out journaling the Rodders Journal.

Update us on your return trip.

11. What he said...top stuff Brian !!

Rat

12. zep058

zep058

Enjoy your trip Bass, let the highway wash any stress of your day to day away.
    Thanks for posting as you go

13. i might have missed this but are you planning to hit bonneville on your return trip?

14. CWTC10

CWTC10
    from Arab Al

I need my fix Bass. I have been reading every morning when I get to work. Im getting the shakes. Time to update. :D

15. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Awesome. What a great trip. I really should have came down to HRAR this year, even if it was by myself and in my sisters cavalier hahaha

16. torchmen49

torchmen49

Brian, it was great to finally talk in person, and thanks for taking that pic of our cars friday night, I was thinking about it myself, but got sidetracked. Seeing that car of yours was the highlight of the show for me. We'll have to have a cold one or three in B'ville. BTW, thanks for the "pulse" tip. Drive safe buddy. -Dave

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  17. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

EPIC man Living the Dream

18. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Thanks for making me question my life thus far.

19. torchmen49

torchmen49

I'd buy one too!

20. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Day 8

Today I left Seattle and started making my way towards Bonneville.

Yesterday I got under the car and changed the oil and filter and greased everything, and got it ready to go.

Funny thing happened as I was getting oil for the car in Burlington, WA. I was standing at the counter at NAPA auto parts, when I heard someone say, "hey, aren't you Brian Bass?" Turns out that a guy named Mike that works there had been to the Hotrodarama and I guess he recognized me from there. What made it more odd was that I had borrowed Angie's sister-in-law's Toyota 4runner to go to NAPA, so my car wasn't even there to tip him off. Guess it's just a small world afterall.

Anyway, for the past couple of days, I didn't do much but eat and visit with my extended family up here. Everytime I come up to Seattle, I eat like a king....I had duck, salmon, tuna, squid, octopus, chicken, clams, oysters, cod, beef, pork, shrimp, halibut, lamb, and probably some other animals that I can't think of right now. All of it was delicious.

But, I can't come to Seattle and not eat at Dick's...so I had to stop for lunch on the way out of town.

Running down I-5 from Seattle, the road is terrible for the most part until you get to Olympia. After that it smoothed out a bit, and when I got to Kelso, I exited the interstate to cross over into Oregon over the Lewis and Clark Bridge. I needed to be in Scappoose, OR by 3:00 to get measured for some custom work boots at Wesco Boot Company. So needless to say, I was driving down HWY 30...uhh...a little aggressively.

As soon as I crossed into Columbia City, Oregon, I met a city cop and the lights came on. I quickly pulled over to the side and a couple of minutes later, the officer was at my window. He says, "Sir, do you know why I pulled you over?" And I replied, "well, I guess I might have been going a little fast?" He says 67 in a 50...which I really wanted to question, because it felt a whole lot closer to 60mph to me...but I digress. He then says, "That, and we've had some complaints that you were driving like a bat out of hell."

"Uhh, this is a hot rod, sir....that's what it's for."

So after running my license and insurance, he lets me off with a friendly warning...and I continue on my way. Admittedly, a lot slower now.

I arrive in Scappoose about 3:15, and found my way over to Wesco. Got fitted for some work boots, snapped a couple of photos and headed back out on the road. This put me right in the middle of rush hour traffic in Portland. That sucked...big time. After sitting in stop and go traffic for about 45 minutes, I finally got out of town and headed towards The Dalles.

About 50 miles outside of The Dalles, I hit some road construction that took me 45 minutes to go 6 miles. The temp gauge was getting pretty close to 215 deg. when traffic finally started moving again. A couple minutes of cool air across the radiator, and the gauge was back down to 160.

Stopped at Mitchell Point to stretch my legs and check out the view, then it was off to The Dalles, where I had dinner at the Baldwin Saloon. That place is really, really good....I recommend it if you are ever in the area.

I made it as far as Pendleton, which is where I'm at for the night. Got rained on...again...but it only lasted about 15 minutes.

Western Oregon is very pretty, but it sure doesn't seem to be very "hot rod friendly." Not only is the stop and go traffic a real motherfucker, but the speed limits are all 45 and 50mph (or less) in most places. And, this is the first place I've ever had the cops called on me for passing a slow moving car...and I was even passing them in a legal passing zone.

Oh, and you're not supposed to pump your own gas. Lame.

Anyway, a quick update on the car...I started having some clutch issues after sitting in all that traffic today, so I have to take a look at it in the morning. I'm thinking that I just need to adjust my pedal stop to get some more travel....at least I hope that's all it is.

Tomorrow, I'm back on the Oregon Trail...hoping to make Salt Lake City before 5pm.

-Brian

Seattle, WA

[​IMG]

Seattle, WA

[​IMG]

Seattle, WA

[​IMG]

Lewis and Clark Bridge - Oregon State Line

[​IMG]

Columbia City, OR

[​IMG]

Wesco Boot - Scappoose, OR

[​IMG]

Wesco Boot - Scappoose, OR

[​IMG]

Portland, OR

[​IMG]

Road Construction - Oregon Trail

[​IMG]

Mitchell Point, OR

[​IMG]

The Dalles, OR

[​IMG]

Rufus, OR

[​IMG]

21. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Bass,

thanks for the update..........you have so many of us sat here waiting for the next instalment.......

whats this........... now your Bass the 'outlaw'

[​IMG]

stay safe

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  22. BIG RIC

BIG RIC

"Uhh, this is a hot rod, sir....that's what it's for."

Rite on!!!
    Thanks Brian. i got my 40 in the shop last night. gonna pull the motor & trans this w/e.
    cant wait to see the Bonneville updates!

23. cball

cball

Great pics can't wait for the next installment.

Stay safe.

24. 31whitey

31whitey

It's kinda like a hot rod enduro.

All kinds of challenges for you and your car, different situations to overcome and enjoy.

Good friends, great food, and, and, cool cops...rad.

Safe arrivals man

25. ST. 515

ST. 515
    from TEXAS

This is one Awesome trip!!!

-Saint

26. friskyspatula

friskyspatula

Excellent trip, can't wait to see the photos from Bonneville.

27. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Cops and road construction............welcome to Oregon....haha.

Cool pics Brian.....now haul ASS outta that fucking state....(crap...I'll be there next week..haha)

28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Lovin' these updates... Thanks alot, Brian.
    Hope the rest of your trip goes well -- have fun!

29. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Man Brian what an insperation. I'm getting ready to take my truck out to Santa Nella cali. for the Calaveras c.c. "One Night Stand". I really dont have that much seat time. So here we go. Good Luck
    Danny

30. badgeree

badgeree

Bloody hell, I've never changed my desktop picture so many times in my life.
    Great story, great photos, great car, great times. Well, that about covers it.
    Keep the fun times rollin'