Register now to get rid of these ads!

Patch panels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BSKINGPIN, Aug 10, 2010.

1. BSKINGPIN

BSKINGPIN
    from OKLAHOMA

To start off with the talent on this site is incredible. My question ,most of the patch panel jobs i have seen look like but-welded joints, has anybody used the tool that bends a flange so you can lap the joint.i have never done either one was just wanting opinions thanks.

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

The flange is a good place to get rust and moisture... or vice versa!

3. Larry T

Larry T

Doesn't every body ever made use flanged and spotwelded panels? My 56 Ford pickup does and that's not really where it's rusted the worst.
    Larry T

4. F&J

F&J

Matter of fact I used the flanger today. Patched 2 doors on a 85 chev pickup. I use the flanger mostly on rusty semi modern drivers. The flanger speeds up the work and saves money for the owner. The flange will give rust and moisture a place to sit, but these owners are just wanting it to last a bit longer, not forever.

On my keepers I butt weld....but a lap would be fine on them too...because they won't get run in the road salt.

5. The biggest problem with a flanged joint is you have two layers of metal in that area as opposed to one and you can end up with the joint showing up in the paint because it will expand and contract at a different rate than the surrounding single layer of metal due to the added thickness of material. A butt joint leaves you with the same thickness of material and less chance of mapping.

6. tinmann

tinmann

A butt weld allows you to hammer and dolly a repair to make it perfect or very near. A flanged joint is very hard to work with ...... you gets what you gets.

7. fittyford

fittyford
    from Oregon

i used the flanger on a panel that was turned into a camper and i turned it back into a panel there was three windows in a line i tacked cold to prevent worping and because of the 2 layers it warped anyway seem sealed it inside and metal to metal outside sealed it with sealer then paint and i had issues in about ten months, butt weld is the only way to go.

8. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

As said, butt welding is the way to go if it's a car you care about, don't waste your time with anything else...