Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ppg vs lesenol/sikkens

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caddy man, Aug 9, 2010.

1. caddy man

caddy man
    from usa

Dropped my car off at the paint shop yesterday, and my painter, wich was reffered to me by a friend, and has been doing this for 30 years, uses Lesenol, I don't know much about it, but he says it's good stuff, and kinda expensive, he said a gallon of clear is about $360, of course this may be retail, but I just wondered, if anyone uses this brand, and is it considered to be as good as PPG, or HOK, or other well known Brands, he says he likes the way it buffs...just curious.

2. caper150

caper150

Sikkens is a very high end paint, up there with PPG and HOK, if not better, lots of dealerships use it because of it's excellent color blending. I haven't used that brand since I fist started painting back in the early 90's, I have been for the last 10 yrs using their industrial brand paint when I worked painting cement mixers and refuse trucks,excellent paint for that but at home I stick with PPG and HOK because that is what I am familiar with as far as auto painting goes.

3. caddy man

caddy man
    from usa

Thanks... is Lesenol made by Sikkens?

4. Lesonal is Sikkens "economy" line, PPG has Omni, Dupont has Nason, and BASF has Limco. The slow conditions in many shops has increased the use of these products. They do what they ned to do, with out alot of frills. The coverage isnt as good as their better products and the clear is typically older technology re-branded into the vlaue lines. Some of the products dont carry the warranties of their higher end stuff so make sure you check that out too. I did a car in "off the bank yellow" single stage Omni and it looked fine. It was thinner than the high end Concept I had last used resulting in more product used, color sanded and buffed up with no problems. You could always use the lower end primers and go with a better base and clear. Good Luck and make sure you call your local paint supplier with any questions you have, Those guys tend to know the products they sell.

5. dawg

dawg

Lesenol is better than any second line of anything, and rivals the best that Dupont or PPG has to offer...

6. caddy man

caddy man
    from usa

Thanks guys, I'm not a painter, so I have to trust my painters choices, and what he's comfortable spraying, I was just wondering about the brand, but if it is $360 a gallon for clear, I figure it should be pretty good product, or way over priced.