Register now to get rid of these ads!

who has a y-block in their car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teddyp, Jul 11, 2010.

1. teddyp

teddyp

great to hear how many hamber,s are in to y-blocks makes me glad that i,m doing a new y-block for my 58 ford keep them coming

2. hotrodstude

hotrodstude

john mummert has alum.heads for the y-block now,they were cast by edelbrock and will not be sold by edelbrock.check out his web site.ford y.

3. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

John's new heads in tests have shown a 30-35 more horses. Great improvement.:D

Michael

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Around $2200 a pair :eek:

5. Hightone111

Hightone111

There was a rad blown, 6x2, Edmunds equipped Model A at Mass that got our club pic...any pics of that one?

6. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

Yea I know, lots of $$$$ but if you have the money you'll probably have quite a bit in those and still probably not flow quite as good.

Michael

7. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

What performance/upgrade distributor do you guys like?

Later,Bill

8. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

Stock from Auto Zone/NAPA/O'Rielly's with a Petronix conversion. Make sure its for a 57-64 car/truck you might have a problem if you motor is older than 56 possibly with the camshaft gear being different. It should only be a problem if you have a 239 or maybe a 256 they were 54-55 motors. Reasonable and works great. Deep pockets you can go with MSD they make a nice setup too.

Michael

9. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Yeah I guess I should have mentioned. Its for my 57 f100 w stock 272.

Thanks Micheal.

Later,Bill

10. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

My '59

Attached Files:

11. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Does a LINCOLN Y block count for this thread?

I am posting it anyway because I love my LYB.... :D

[​IMG]

12. teddyp

teddyp

yes they are cool too had a 55 linc. had a cool set of valve covers fin alum. factory always wished i could use them on my ford

13. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

Lincoln is a completely different animal. I don't know of anything that interchanges. Hopefully Tim (Yblock Guru) will chime in on this. Their a very torquey motor. I know they are also covered in Yblock Magazine as well.

Michael

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looks like I'm gonna have a Y block too :) A local HAMB member here is gonna sell me a 57 312 with an Edelbrock tri power ,holley carbs and Offenhauser finned valve covers. A Holley dual point that I hope can be converted to electronic and a finned alum valley cover.

Pretty pumped right now :D

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  15. Labor Day weekend.

Lincoln Y is it's own animal, very cool animal at that, the only thing I know that will interchange is the oil pump. ('55 and later)

16. fasttimes

fasttimes
    from NC

Its not a car but a 64 f100 short bed. Stock 292 with a pertronix conversion in it, custom set headers, and Glass packs. Runs great drive it where ever where I can.

Attached Files:

17. ol coupe

ol coupe
    from Bow WA.

Yup, got one in our '54 Raunchwagon, luv it

18. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

Man I like the looks of that truck and the nicely detailed up motor. Great setup. Veryy different/cool scene with the winter picture. Should be out on the pond doing a bunch of doughnuts!:D

Michael

19. lowtech57

lowtech57

Got the original 312 Thunderbird special in my '57... still runnin the old Fordomatic too!

20. 292 in the merc.

21. i have one in my model a coupe and my 54 merc

Attached Files:

22. Spooky

Spooky

Dig this.
    Back in the day at Englewood Speedway, the Figure 8 class was open to any body style from 1953 to 1964. This meant that any manufacturer could run a car with any engine under 350 c.i.
    But it had to bolt right into the body of the era of car.
    SBF's were out. But Chev's could run 327's or 350's!

Still, the 312 and 292 ruled the roost.

23. Spooky

Spooky

Nutha cool tale-

My Dad bought a '51 Ford convertible from a cop in Colorado Springs in about '60. Dropped, nosed and decked. Metallic blue and t-n-r interior. Drive train? A 317 Lincoln out of a Police car backed with a Ford 3-spd.

He surprised many with the stout torque from that mutha.

24. RoryShock

RoryShock
    from Western TN

I recently just picked up a 292 to drop into my '60 Panel. I was pretty psyched to find one priced within my budget and close enough to get. Once I get it up on the stand I'll post some pictures.

Now have to deal with my transmission dilemma, and the FE engine/trans combo I currently have. I'd actually like to keep the cruise-o-matic if at all possible. Can the bell housing be replaced with something that will bolt up (like a from FOM)?

25. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

I'm pretty sure the distributor will interchange from the big brother Lincoln to the little "Y".

Had a 180,000 mile 272 in my 55' that had only been honed and re-ringed at about 100,000, it burned a quart of 40 wt. every 100 miles, but I drove it 10,000 miles the first year I had her and she never left me stranded. Got a .060" 56' 292 with an Isky RPM300 cam and worked over "G" heads for her now. And a 312 that I'm thinking of making into a stroker in the garage.

26. slacker1965

slacker1965

have a wore out one in my 56 p.u......gonna replace it with y-block if I can find a decent used one cheap enough.......had a 292 in my 1st driver, a '58swb p/u that I put 100k+ miles on....wore out a bunch of drum brakes & 2 sets of kingpins....the little 292 took my abuse & probably is still running strong.

27. Yes, you can swap bell housings. I would try to find a late '56-up "water-cooled" bell; or, technically speaking, the 3-speed automatics from '58-up are all called Cruise-O-Matics, so you could grab a '58-'62 car bell, if you are going to fab mounts....or, a '58-'64 truck bell, if you want to use the factory front mount/trans bell side mounts. I'm guessing that your panel had the original trans side brackets cut off the frame to make the FE/Cruise-O-Matic fit, but maybe they can be put back in.

As a side note, the true 2-speed automatics used in early '60s Falcons, etc. are sometimes known as Ford-O-Matics and sometimes Cruise-O-Matics, depending on the literature. Some of these have separate bells, and some have a one-piece case; I've not seen the one-piece case myself but some others here have.. At any rate they won't work for what you want to do, since even the separate bell 2-speeds have the six-cylinder bell pattern. Bottom line, look before buying. :)

28. Nope...different gear tooth count. ;) The oil pumps interchange, with the caveat that the pump drive style ('55-up hex or the '54-early '55 tang/slot) has to match the distributor & drive shaft.

29. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

I have a 292 in my 57

30. RoryShock

RoryShock
    from Western TN

Thanks for the info!

And, as promised - the engine (along with the truck eagerly awaiting getting its transplant).

Attached Files: