Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rectangular Gauges???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Jul 20, 2010.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does anyone make rectangular automotive gauges? I'm trying to figure out how I can mount some good gauges in my 41 Plymouth and keep the stock dash cutout.

Unfortunately, it's only 3 1/8" X 11 1/4", so I can't fit a standard 3 1/8" tach or speedometer into it. I looked at putting a 2 1/8" tach in along with the other 4 gauges but can't get 5 of them to fit. If that would have worked, I would have put the speedo in a can on the column.

I can get 4 - 2 1/8" gauges in the stock cutout but then I'd have to use a 3 1/8" speedo/tach combination mounted on the column. I'm not wild about that because the tach is so small.

The OEM gauges are small rectangular gauges, two on each side surrounding the speedo.

Suggestions? I really like the look of the Autometer Street Rod Antique Beige with my planned interior.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No suggestions?

3. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

Have you considered having your originals rebuilt to modern specs??

4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who does that? Can they convert the speedometer to electric?

5. well the size of the gauge really doesnt matter all that much.. find a round gauge thats close, take the guts out of it and mount them on the stock gauge faces.. thats what i am going to do to mine.

6. I searched all over and couldn't find anyone that made rectangular guages. I am going to modify some extra housings I picked up to fit some new gauages.

classicinstruments.com has some nice stuff. They have a 5" round speedo/tach combo and a 3 5/8" round quad gauge.

They will restore your old gauges and convert to modern internals....for a huge price.

Here's the reply I got when I asked about doing mine.

Yes we can fit your '52 Dodge gauges with new modern movements and
    graphically update them. Would you be able to send the gauges into us to
    have us put a quote together for you? We would put modern 12 volt movements
    into your original housings and fix the graphics, we can do this with both
    the 5" round gauge as well as the square unit. The retrofit would probably
    come in around $2,500.00.

7. atch

atch

you don't mention the specific size of your original gauges. are they close to the early 70's ford pickup rectangular gauges?

8. I believe it's called a trip to the junkyard to look at cars with 12V electricals for small rectangular gauges. You can always make an overlay if you don't care for the face lettering design or colors.

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$2500! Jesus, Dan! I'm assuming you decided to pass. What a great biz to be in. Maybe I'll just start my own custom gauge/instrument biz. :)

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmm. I'll have to look at F1 gauges. Who has 'em? Speedway?

12. KIRK!

KIRK!

Try Classic Instruments. They'll make anything you can dream up.

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Someone earlier suggested taking the guts out of modern gauges and putting them into the stock cluster. Super easy to do, I've four or five like this and find Autometer the most adaptable to this sort of thing. They're very "modular" and come apart real easy.

14. joel torres

joel torres

15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, Joel but no digital gauges for me. I'm too much of a traditionalist.

Thanks for the tip, Jeff. I'll look at them. (I checked but they are too big. I think the idea for rectangular gauges is out.)

Right now, I'm thinking my original concept may be the best for me.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  16. joel torres

joel torres

yeah im going with the digital as its the only thing that will fit :( im not about to have my orig refitted or try that 6 volt step down stuff my orig gagues are tiny how does that f1gauge look?

17. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

18. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, after not finding any gauges that would fit. I decided on this approach. I took another gauge cluster, disassembled it and modified it to accept 4 - 2 1/16 gauges for fuel, voltage, oil pressure and temp. I simply took a piece of sheet aluminum stock and made an instert and then glued it in place using JB Weld. No warpage, that way.

This will mount right into the existing dash, then I'll put a speedometer/tach combo in a can and mount it on the steering column. I'm planning to use the Autometer antique beige gauges.

I'll prime and paint this assembly either black or antique beige.

What do you think?

Attached Files:

19. Ford made them. They were in F-1 trucks.

20. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can do it, MM. It's easy. I just showed you how.

21. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

Yeah Rockable, I know... But I figured you wanted to practice... and I am all the way on the left coast with no tools... LOL. Mine will be running and driving the end of the week. All it lacks is exhaust for the 429 Cadi and driveshaft.... then final paint.. So she will be on the road in 2-3 weeks... Basket Case painted, chopped, motor swap, rear end.... all in 4 months... and it sat for 2 of them! Cant wait for her maiden voyage!

22. Still six volt. Where's the upgrade?

23. 41 C28

41 C28

Ran into the same problem updateing the gauges on my 48 Dodge. I swapped the face plate on one gauge and modified the faces on the rest.
    I used the original oil pressure gauge.

24. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmm. I could just install a tach and could use the GPS when I need it. That would probably save me a couple hundred bucks. Thanks for the idea.

25. barrelvalve

barrelvalve
    from Mass

Rock, I used a 2.060 diameter Revolution speedo from Speedhut. The OD of the bezel is 2.250.
    I am doing it the same way as you only the 4 gauges will be speedo, oil, water and gas.

You can order the guages in different colors and configurations. I got tan faced to better match the dash.

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge_products-auto-revolution.htm

26. barrelvalve

barrelvalve
    from Mass

I am using a Signal Dynamics single color changing LED for voltage. I hope to hide it in the speaker grill but have not relly looked into that yet. The dash will have 2 green leds for blinker indicators and one blue for high beam. I ordered these from the Hotrod Company but they have not come in yet.

27. 2002p51

2002p51

I just did this for our '47 Mercury. The idea came from a HAMBer who posted it on here a while ago. (Sorry, I can't remember who.)

I used four 2-1/16" diameter short sweep electric gauges from Auto Meter.

The back of the stock gauge housing already had round holes (although the gauges themselves were not round), I just had to open them up a few thousands until I got a nice tight interference fit for the Auto Meter gauges.

[​IMG]

The JB Weld is just to make extra sure they don't move around.

I had to remove the bezels and trim the flange on the front just a little but since the housings are plastic it just took a minute with a razor blade.

Here's how they look in the finished panel:

[​IMG]

tomkelly88 likes this.
  28. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a great option. Thanks!

2002P51, that is a great looking gauge setup you ended up with. I'm too far into to change back know. Thanks for sharing, however.

29. HAMB Classifieds unless you want Chinese junk. Someone said that they are putting the movements from a round gauge in the rectangular faces of their stock gauges that is an option and a good one. the movement doesn't care what the face is shaped like.

Do a google search there are several companies that market rectangular gauges. Some of them are startup companies and most are selling import gauges but they are available.

30. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

There are also smaller than 2 1/8 gauges available, there are 1 1/2 inch gauges. I imagine they are all cheapies though. (see ebay item Z350336818127 for a pic). Also GM cars in the early 80s had rectangular gauges so some of those might work if you could work out the sensor?