Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drag Dace question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steamer, Aug 8, 2010.

1. steamer

steamer

Coming from circle track racing to drag racing I have a fire suit question. How come circle track guys have to wear a full suit, top and bottom, and drag guys only a jacket? :confused:

2. Larry T

Larry T

That's an easy one. Cuzz of the rulebook.
    Larry T

3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Depends on the class. I figure it's because of the windshield and firewall. I don't know. Lippy

4. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

Once you go faster than 10 flat you have to wear a jacket & pants. It all depends on elapsed time

5. ChopZilla

ChopZilla
    from Maryland

9.99 and faster need jacket, pants,10 point cage ,window net and license

6. Larry T

Larry T

It's kind of like asking why do you have to recert or replace 5 point harnesses every 3 years in drag racing and you don't in circle track racing.
    Same answer.
    And I think 10.00 is the perfect et to shoot for in a doorslammer. That extra .01 to 9.99 is pretty expensive and kind of a pain in the butt.

Larry T (working on a car to run on a 10.60 index for D/G Heritage Series and such.)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Ah, I'll take money making scam for $300 Larry.:D

8. steamer

steamer

Belts on circle track cars are the same, 3 years.

9. Larry T

Larry T

OK, didn't used to be that way down here, but I haven't had anything to do with circleburners in several years.
    Larry T

10. hueyguns

hueyguns
    from pa

The plot of safety garmets thickens when you run an open bodied front engine car (FED or altered) and what type of fuel you run, on top of your et and whether you have a firewall or not.

11. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Actually, belts are only good for 2 years.

12. Larry T

Larry T

OK, it's been a while since I looked at a new rule book. Either way the new never been used belts for the 55 I'm building are out of date. (G) Guess I'd better get a 2010 book before I do much more.
    Larry T

13. I think the question has been answered as well as someone who is not involved in the rule making by the sanctioning body can answer.

But everyone failed to say that you can wear a full fire suit if you want to. In the older rule books there was alwasy the disclaimer on saftey equipment that said that you could certainly upgrade your saftey equipment and it was suggested that you do.

A jacket is a minumum saftey requirment.

BTW once you get into fuel as opposed to gas the requirments get tougher even if you don't go fast. And yes there are fuel cars out there that don't run 9s.

14. Flying A

Flying A

But don't forget that NHRA rules are directly linked to all the manufactures and sponsors of NHRA events. They feed on SFI certification time limits for their bottom line. A .15 cent SFI sticker is out of date because of this relationship and corporate greed. I chose not to race faster than 9.99 today beacuse I threw away thousands of dollars of perfectly good equipment with no way to recover the cost. I love drag racing as do all other drag racers. We make the events popular spectator choices not NHRA.

Sorry, this one hit a nerve again.

15. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

9.99 and/or 135mph. Best either of those two and more than firesuit requirments change. Its best to get your hands on a rule book or speak to your nhra div office. look on the nhra website and you can find out that info. As well there are alot of folks in N.J. that are in the know.

16. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

Flying A I hear you and don't think your alone.

17. Ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. I never could understand the different rules for fire safety. I work in a hospital and had also worked on a squad for years. In over 25yrs in the medical field i never saw anyone burned less because their car was slow. Fire has the same temp if you are going in the fives or fifteens. A word to the wise if you cant afford the best protection you for sure cant afford skin grafts. The best spec-20 suit only allows 20 seconds of direct flame conntact. If you have a fire how long will it take you to stop and get out if you are able. This is not a area to go cheap because the rules said so. Nothing personel but i dont want to see anyof you at were i work

19. Super442s

Super442s

Maybe it's because roundy-round guys tend to crash more often :D

20. RodStRace

RodStRace

Aside from the valid points mentioned, time yourself getting the vehicle to a stop and getting out of a circle track car and a drag car. Add in the drag car has it's own clear lane and no one coming up behind you.
    I wore fire shoes, a full suit and a balacava in my 10 second car. As mentioned, it's cheaper than a skin graft and less painful to be warm than to be charred.

RacerX, slowing to a stop from over a hundred takes more seconds than from 80....and if it's blowing back on you, it will be more intense..... that 20 seconds goes quick!!!

21. arnie beswick got his face burned off on the return road. you just dont know when you can have a fire. at the drags you are not always in your own lane and you cant always count on the other guy to be in his. since we are talking safety a engine diaper is a great investment. they can be bought cheap new or cheaper if they have outdated.i have seen too many cars lost because they blow a engine get in their oil or water then crash.