Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bumpers for my '56 F-100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasHardcore, Aug 3, 2010.

1. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Looking for some ideas. The bumpers on my '56 F-100 are terrible. The front bumper isn't a big concern right now. I'm eventually replacing the front lower valance with a smooth one and I'll cut the needed slots and run some bumperettes up front. For now, the front weird ass piece of capped chrome tubing is staying there, to cover up the big frame slots.

The rear bumper is my issue. Normally I would unbolt this ugly ass bumper in a heartbeat, but the gas tank sits low, and looks kind of stupid from behind, plus it's not very well protected. So I'm leaving this bumper on the rear til I can come up with something else. I plan to eventually run a roll pan WITH the bumper, just to make it look a bit more clean.

I've considered building a fresh bumper out of rect tubing, or bending one up in a brake. I like the stock F-100 bumpers just fine, but I'm leaning towards having something a little different than stock, but something that doesn't look goofy. I want the truck to have a very simple and understated look to it. I really wish I could find more pictures of the F-100 that Cole Foster built, there are very few pics out there, and none are very good shots of the truck. My truck is destined for a simple style similar to the truck he built.

Does anyone have pics of good looking rear bumpers on early F-100s?(NOT STOCK BUMPERS, PLEASE) Or any ideas?

Here's the truck and unsightly bumper...

Attached Files:

2. I know it doesn't answer your "?", but that is a cool '56!

3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Thanks man, big plans for it!

4. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I'm using 66 Ford Bronco bumpers on my 54 project, should be on there by the end of this month. They are reasonably priced from LMC truck.

jim h

5. aircoup

aircoup

stock or remove have built over 50 of em only thing that look,s decent

6. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

My buddies 56. Stock bumper, narrowed, tucked and notched for the plate. Its the only pic I have. Later,Bill
    [​IMG]

7. I always liked Pat Ganahals F-100 with the drilled front bumper, don't remember if the back was or not. I plan to tdrill the front on my F-1. My .o2$

8. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

This is the front bumper on my Dads 53 F-100.
    It's been drilled like this since the 1970's...Before PG did his!
    He has a Louvered roll pan on the rear.
    Jeeps have a accessory bumper that is chromed and drilled. They look like they'ed work great on the rear of an f-100.

Attached Files:

9. InPrimer

InPrimer

Carnut.com Index of pix, Ford, 1955 F100 pix ton of them I nkow you have a 56 but it's the first place I looked... IP

10. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

No bumper and a filled panel looks best to me, and that is what I plan on doing with mine. But I saw a cool two piece on the roadster shop site under their projects that looks similar to a 70 camaro. Maybe a little too clean for some tastes.

11. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

The rear bumper is the concern, not the front. Drilled looks cool, but not my style.

I like the stock bumpers tucked in and narrowed a bit, but I'm open to other visuals.

I've got a ton of F-100 photos, but 90% of them are front angled shots. The rear shots I have usually show a stock bumper, a wild custom bumper, or no bumper. I've scoured the internet looking for alternative bumper options.

If anyone has any good pictures of the F-100 Cole Foster Built, or know the details on the truck, please let me know. I'm curious to know if those bumpers are custom made, modified stockers, or something else.

I'm just trying to find something that looks clean.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  12. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

13. no help with pictures sorry, but I'd always considered trying '55-'56 car bumper on the front of my '53 - prob sounds nuts!

14. cole

cole

Bumpers, We (Corey Conyers and I ) Made bumpers from scratch, and the brackets too.

the front one was really cool , it fit close to the front end and if you notice it tapered to match the fenders looking from the front ( tighter radious on bottom, so it has a "V' shape.

15. Cole - that truck really set the standard in my opinion. Simple, elegant, and timeless.

16. Tacson

Tacson

Carbs and Chrome, My words exactly. I have two issues of where that truck was in Classic Trucks back in 99' 00. The truck is Bad to the Bone. But done in a simplistic way if that makes sense. Nothing is gaudy or overdone

Texas Hard Core, once I get my scanner back functional I can email you a scanned copy of the article featuring Cole's truck. I believe they were custom made. PM me I would glad to snail mail you a hardcopy. I got the 53-56 F100 fever and am glad to help a fellow trucker out.:)

17. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Cole, thanks for the reply, and the inspiration.

Tacson, I'll PM you my email address for that scan. Thanks bud.

18. Was it in two issues or do you mean you have 2 copies?

19. Also TexasHardcore where did you get those pictures of it?

20. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I found them somewhere on the internet. There's not many pics of it online...I've searched and searched and I can usually find anything. It's a damn shame, because that truck deserves to be seen and drooled over by all.

I think this is the only other pic I've found of it.

Attached Files:

21. Tacson

Tacson

I have two copies of that issue

22. oh, ok - I thought I missed one.

23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

[​IMG]
    Front tucked closer (subtle)

25. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Heres a subtle lookin little 56 that I found on ebay a few years back when we had ours.
    I like it,and yours.
    [​IMG]

26. krooser

krooser

I have a pair of '50 Dodge bumpers stashed for my '56 F100... the rear is wider so it will go on the front of the truck (although it isn't as wide as the fenders... I may have to inset the ends or widen it a bit). The front will be narrowed and mount out back.

27. chaddilac

chaddilac

I see why you guys stopped for the view!!! :D

28. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I have a friend that tweaked a Vega rear bumper for the back of his 56, I'll see if I can get a pic.

29. willymakeit

willymakeit

Keep the ideas and pics coming. Im at this stage to.