Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Texas State Championship race

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kenneth S, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

We'll be there!!!!!

3. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

The heading sounds like you need to be in the points standings for this event. I checked last year after the race and they said it's just a regular event like The Thaw and DOTD, is this correct? If this is correct please let us know. Championship Finals is very misleading maybe Fall Nationals or something less intimidating would get you more racers.

4. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

This race is run after all the other series seasons points races have been run like the OFAA, and the like. I am not a member of the TTA, but it say's on their website that is will be same type of race that they held in 2009 in Denton,Tx.

5. roadster-racer

roadster-racer
    from Austin, TX

Hot Rod Bill and whoever he spoke to do not really have a very clear understanding of the subject. First off, the name of the race is not the Texas Nostalgia Championship Finals, it's the Texas State Championships. Next, Texas Timing Association is not a hot rod club or a racing circuit with a points standing you have to be in to come to the race. That is not what the name of the TSC says, and that's certainly not what it means. Every car and every driver in every class is welcome.

The TSC was first run nearly 60 years ago at Caddo Mills, near Dallas. In 1958, Don Garlits beat Bobby Langley for Top Fuel there. In 1966, T.V. Tommy" Ivo won the Texas State Championships at Houston Int'l Raceway, beating Don Prudhomme. Over the years, the TSC was also run at Austin, Amarillo, and elsewhere. Last year it was at Denton. This will be the first year at San Antonio Raceway.

Far from being a regular race, it is what the name says, the Texas State Championship. Championships for the three major fuel racing circuits in Texas may be determined at the event this year: Outlaw Fuel Altereds, Texas Blown Fuel, and Southwest Junior Fuel. This will be the biggest race of the year in the state, not in any way just a "regular" race.

Never miss DOTD and the Thaw. Love 'em. Always there with some hot cars from the TTA. But look, those races are mostly about street-driven cars with a few real racers. The TSC will have most every fuel dragster, fuel funny car and fuel altered in Texas there, along with all the traditional hot rods and car club members that want to come out and share the big 1/4 mile track at San Antonio Raceway with the big guys.

Although Hot Rod Bill feels intimidated and thinks the name of this historic event ought to be changed to get a few more cars, we're gonna go on ahead and run it as we did last year (and as it has been done for more than 50 years) under the name of the Texas State Championship race.

This is a real bigtime drag race, folks, with people coming in from all around the state and many from other parts of the country. Please don't let this confusion mislead you. You'll see a lot more about this here once the HAMB Drag Nationals are over. We don't want to detract from their excellent event at Mokan to talk about our TSC yet, but misinformation like this has to be corrected as quickly as possible.

6. seatex

seatex

I'm pretty sure Hot Rod Bill ain't intimidated..........................

7. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

No intimidation is coming from the TTA.

Drag racing is drag racing guys. No matter how you want to label it...it's two cars blasting down the track. Isn't that all that matters?

In the TTA's case...it's 2 vintage dragsters, fuel cars, altered, funny cars, or hot rods lined up to the take the win and put on a serious show.

The event is the "Texas State Championships". Same as it was last year, same as it was in the 50's & 60's. Let's not make it confusing. ;)

This event is going to be BIG.

We'll have an official post on the HAMB when all the details are sorted out (real soon).

For now, keep watching our website www.texastiming.com

or if you're on Facebook, theres alot more frequent updates as they happen. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Texas-Timing-Association/121648161196687

If you have any questions, concerns, or anything please feel free to email me.
    [email protected]

8. HAHAHA.....good observation:D....I'm sure that 'ol Bill will be there with his new "Intimidator" Race Car(its already doing "shop burnouts":cool:).

9. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

I'm just wanting to let guys know about your event and that street driven cars are welcome. I would have raced last year but thought it was just for "real racers". This year I have a "real racecar" so it's ok. I'm really just making sure that all hot rods are welcome and you have a great event for all your hard work. I have not been to one of the events where fuel cars are showcased only the ones where they were secondary so this should be great.I didn't really mean change the name only to explain the event. It looks like this will be very clear by race time, thanks for your input, sorry I got confused. Bill

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  10. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Bill...I hope you bring both your cars!

11. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

Thanks, now I got that crazy thought in my head. I better stay with this new one I wanta run with you "Big Boys".

12. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Bring them both down Bill, I'd like to see them.

13. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

Next you'll want me to be a "real man" and flat tow one with the other!!!!!

14. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Now you've gone it done it Bill. We better see you roll in just like you described. haha.

15. roadster-racer

roadster-racer
    from Austin, TX

Bill,

Finally found the source of the name confusion, after working several days to find what it was. The incorrect race name that you and Kenneth were using came straight off the San Antonio Raceway website!! What a shock to find out that the track itself had the wrong name for the race in its own schedule. Seems that the guy who takes care of that website has no clue about Texas Drag Racing history, had never even heard of the Texas State Championship race before, and just decided to give this event a name that sounded good to his young, inexperienced, and uninformed ear.

I guess it's like former President Harry Truman said once, "the only real news is the history you haven't heard about yet."

Listen to what Texas Hardcore and Skot are saying. This is really gonna be a big'un, like the old days, when street-driven hot rods parked in the same pit area and raced down the same track as the AA/Fuel dragsters, blown fuel altereds, fuel funny cars, and all manner of other seriously hot iron.

This is not gonna be one of those deals where only the fuel racers are the focus and the street driven cars are just a side-show, and it's not gonna go the other way, either, where the show is all about street driven cars and the serious racers are only considered exhibition cars. This is gonna be all of us gettin' together and racin' our asses off just like we used to.

Thanks a lot for pointing out the name problem now, so we could get it solved early. We appreciate y'all caring about the big race.

16. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

I'll listen to everyone but Skotz, he's got a flat head. We have been itching to run with our buddies ( Rebel CC ) in SA at their home track. They are great guys and will show us a great time and we can't wait. I am sorry to say work is taking up alot of time so I can't make the HAMB Drags but I will be at DOTD and TSCR. Hats off to TTA and all other groups that are putting on these races for us, we love it!!!!

17. Slonaker

Slonaker

I'll be moving to Marion soon. This is exciting. :)

Slonaker

18. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

at least it isnt on the same day as the csga nationals at noble as it was last year...

19. LowMOJO

LowMOJO

got this a flyer at a local swapmeet hope it helps

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  20. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

It's nice not having to drive a few hours to get to a race for once. Can't wait to see the new ride Bill.

21. 1. Hey, I'm planning on taking the FED behind the 32:cool:....ya know, matching paint jobs and such cute stuff.

2. HEY, again:eek:!!!! I hear rumors of you now owning one of these "boat anchors".....ummm, I mean "high tech breathing machines:rolleyes:"....hahaha

22. WayGross

WayGross
    from Austin, Tx

We're there!!! It's gonna be a blast!!!

23. WayGross

WayGross
    from Austin, Tx

24. Slonaker

Slonaker

So...it costs $20 to enter the car show. Does that include admission to the drags and everything? I have read the TTA website, blog, and Facebook page, and can't seem to figure it out.

Slonaker

25. Rusty

Rusty

Time to do some Drag Racing two days left till departure!

26. Wesley

Wesley

the way I understand it, $20 to get in the gate and you get to see the car show, drag races, swap meet, and the bands. If you want to race it will be another $20 to buy a tech card, if you want to participate in the car show it is $20 for a show card, if you want a swap meet spot that is $20.

27. WayGross

WayGross
    from Austin, Tx

28. Rusty

Rusty

the work is done, time to get the trailer loaded up tomorrow

29. Rusty,
    I am "now" in that same place.....even though its technically Friday am:rolleyes:....so off to sleep for a while and load up in the daylight......It'll be good to see everyone again this weekend!.......whooo hoooo it won't be long now.........

30. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

I know Cantankerous will be there! talked to them yesterday and L.H. And Frances are ready!