Register now to get rid of these ads!

My turn...New flavor...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Payaso, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Payaso

Payaso

So a few weeks ago a buddy of mine had pulled a great running 235ci that he wanted to sell for cheap...to me. I bought it...since then, having no Real prior plans, I decided now was the time to build my own Hot Rod. Home Grown. I've have sourced all sorts of parts...free, been amazing. Then I needed a body? Hmmmmmm...Prices for Model A & T are ridiculous...and soon enough only Big Budget builders will create the next generation of Hot Rods...most likely the same shit that's been popular with the White Spalding Sneaker guys...

So...I decided to branch out...look for something that's never been done before...or very rarely. Something that would take more than just a hacksaw and whitewalls to create...something that would be known as Different. Don't get me wrong guys & dolls, I LOVE A's & T's...but I will not pay the outlandish prices going around for someones loss in the stock market...

So here it be me mates...

1956 Willy's Truck cab...style, corners, round corners, plenty of character...AND my 6' 3", 300lb Gorilla Ass will fit even with the 5" were taking out of the windshield...
    [​IMG]

So I found one in Vancouver...the guy wanted $300 for the cab and the bed...the bed was toast...I offered him $100 for the cab. He said I'll meet cha at the storage unit. Storage Unit? Score!!! This thing hasn't been sitting in a field for 40+ years? When we showed up...that's where the fun began.
    [​IMG]

After moving 30ft of stuff piled 10 feet high...we found this, in the very back...just sitting there waiting to be rescued.
    [​IMG]

Slid her out on her back...:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

2. Payaso

Payaso

Brain Stormed for a bit on how to get it in the back of my 'Heavy'...Then went for it...The cab really wasn't heavy for 4 guys...kind of.
    [​IMG]

Actually fit damn near perfectly...that's what my 'Heavy' is for...it's a truck...I was going to chop it, cut it, slam the shit out of it...then I realized I would use it to haul around shit I really want to do that to.
    [​IMG]

Sooooo...the first picture was 3 hours later, back home...semi-mocked up and ready for 'Battle' with whatevers out there!!:)

Thanks to 'Slamit' and his family!! My wife and My Ole' Man for helping out today...
    to be continued...

3. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

what???????????????????????????

why am i just now hearing of this?

sweet dude. let's cut that shit up! i got the beer.

4. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice,
    Those old Willy's had nice lines...
    Keep us posted with pics/progress....

5. ravedodger

ravedodger

Nice. Keep the pics coming. I've been tossing the idea around to build a Willys wagon for about 10 years now. They're common enough to do something with but no one drive's 'em.

6. woodman

woodman

That cab will make a bad ass hot rod. I can see the potential for sure.

7. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

kool . There is a complete truck for sale here in town. Guess i should go ask the price.
    keep the pix coming.

8. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Looking forward to seeing progress on this one. Always dug these trucks. Nice find.

9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Sounds cool. I want to see it as it come together.

10. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

knowing mondo, he'll have this thing together in about 2 weeks.....

11. Payaso

Payaso

Thanks folks...I can't wait to get started on the chop!!! Gonna source a rear end so I can nail down my ''dims''. Then get started on building the frame!!

12. Mockie

Mockie

I like it. If you need any help give me a buzz.

13. Payaso

Payaso

You know it Brotha! Food, Sweat, and Beer!! Of course you'll be there!!

14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

to cool i dig a frugal different build , hope you dress the mill up to with some split manifolds and dual carb set up 235 is a nice inliner

15. Payaso

Payaso

I've got a Patrick's Cat-O-log sitting right here that I haven't been able to put down!! Thanks "slamit":rolleyes:

16. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Word!!!!!

This is gonna be a fun car, Lots of ideas rolling around.

Cant wait to start chopping this this thing. Still looking for a front end set up.

In the Words of Ms, Gmann51, "Let the Madness begin"

17. Payaso

Payaso

Anyone have any suggestions, or better yet history, with a local glass cutting shop? Since the chop is sooner than later...I want to start looking for a local shop to get that done. I'm taking 3"-4" out of the windshield...

Thanks!!
    MONDO

18. Mockie

Mockie

Shane works for a glass company, don't know if he can do it himself but he surely works with someone who does, maybe even cheap?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  19. Payaso

Payaso

Right on! I'll have to have him come on over and check out the "Big Willy" and see what he thinks...then since he's here, I'll probably have him look at the Willys Cab I'm chop'n as well to see what he thinks about the glass??

That's gross Mockie...ewwwwww...

Thanks!!

Seriously though...

20. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Oh what a "Big Willy" it is. Look. Lobo's in shock just lookin at it!

21. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Looking forward to this BIG time....I feel the same way about A's and T's as you do. Too many people thinking they're the way to make up for their financial mistakes :p

You could be defining the new budget hot rodding culture with this....

22. Payaso

Payaso

Thanks!! Looking forward to it...

I've got 8 1/2 months to get the Willys on the Road...Billetproof 2011.

I'm jotting down everything I spend...couldn't buy a single NEW Coker WideWhite with what I've spent so far...

The list and the dollar amount is going to be mind blowing...and I hope the outcome of this project will too!! You don't need crazy ass $$$$$ in tools...a Giant shop or a Giant Wallet...you need to 'Take Risk'...

MONDO

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  23. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i can't wait to do a burnout in this.

24. Subscribed. I'm really diggin the whole idea behind this. Keep posting your progress. Todd

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  25. jay in cleburne

jay in cleburne

Good luck on the Willys... I've got one up as far as mounted on a Blazer chassis... still stripping the "good parts" from the Blazer..
    Jay in Texas

26. L7

L7

subscribed.
    I've been passing by a willys now and again for about 5 years and have had similar crazy visions! keep the updates coming. - L7

27. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

Excited to see this! Ive toyed with the idea, and there is a few threads about these trucks on here. Are you planning on using the fenders? I'm a jeep guy, and with early tin being so expensive, these look like a good alternative, at least to me.

28. Payaso

Payaso

Thanks everyone...I dig that everyone is excited to see this!!! Lately it's all my wife and I think about...we cant wait to cruise this thing!!! Shooter...we are going to smoke out sandy at its first voodoo!!

29. Mockie

Mockie

just saw shane, says it'd be easier for him to make a template then cut new glass instead of old. We'll talk, take it easy

30. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

This shit is gonna Melt brains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.