Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Billy I was a very good guy.....easy to hang out with and race with.

Stu was pretty much the opposite....he was a real thorny individual and liked to stir the pot. I saw him in action a lot since I worked with him for a short stint at Feil's. He was a sharp guy when it came to cars and could do almost anything. He loved Pontiacs and knew them inside out....

Stu was friends with some of the west coast Pontiac racers including Jess Tyree......We did some thrashing on some parts once when Tyree was match racing here on the east coast.....Nitro burning Pontiacs were not real common ...LOL!!! I think he shot some sparkplugs right out of his heads and we were fixing the holes as best as we could......

My partner bought a '55 Pontiac from Stu and it had a 389 engine in it. We assembled it down at Stu's place, a gas station and I think Bill I worked there.

We were trying to mate the newer 389 to the old 4 speed hydro......Stu knew how to make this all fit but there was some "issues" that needed to be addressed. I recall some pretty crude modifications with a big hammer but it did go together and worked ok....

I sat in the "Kicks" car one day with Billy and we drove up to the lanes at Island.....Billy did some burnouts and I recall just how sideways that car felt......It was huge inside and out.....

We raced him one day in the "Announcers Match Race" that was a regular weekly deal for a while at Island.....best 2 out of 3 and handicapped off the National Records....I don't know who won but on one run Billys car got so out of shape he crossed the center line and was behind the "Pie Wagon" for a while.......

We often stopped at the bar right outside of Islands entry road....( it's still there and a dancer bar today) and celebrated the days activities. We had some great times back then......

2. biscaynes

biscaynes

'68 tulsa final rd
    after bill had sold the '66 but was driving for the new owner?
    boertman won

[​IMG]

a colesy posted pict :rolleyes:

3. biscaynes

biscaynes

norm fryers '66 biscayne at york...

[​IMG]

4. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:I remember a ton of good times at the Meadowview (name of the place outside Island in the 70's) especially "bowling" against the Zangs on that shuffle bowl machine. I remember McVickers talking about how much the Biscayne wandered in the lights on 7" tires. Big car, big power, itty bitty tires. Don't believe that's Bill I's car in the Tulsa picture. One of the older guys might know. Think he might have still had the Kicks car then

5. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

pete what vid did the pics come from?

6. racemad55

racemad55

Spent the day with Bill I at Island last fall during the Dover reunion,Great guy, Told me the whole story behind the "division 7 " on his car, had a slight misunderstanding with Darwin Doll over an incident! I'll leave it at that! Perhaps some one else will chime in !

7. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Great Pic Tim - I've never seen this one before. You can bet its going into my personal collection file!! Thanks again!! AND speaking of "almost" - The Witchcraft car of Charlie Hampp was semi-final victim of Dianna that day. BTW, incase you didnt know, this pic was taken at teardown barn for class winners, prior to Eliminator, thats why Charlie and Ron's car are both in the pic!! that's Ron sittin up on the fender - probably getting ready to lift on or off that HEAVY castiron Olds intake manifold! Whew!! Its even HARDER today -- at my age!! LOL
    Thanks again for the post!!
    Tweed

8. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title -->My guess is 8.90X15?? - eh? Thats what I ran too. It was the biggest tire that would fit in the wheelwell and still be able to turn!!

9. dr john

dr john
    BANNED
    from CSA

The only thing that offends me is the PC police.

10. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

You have not seen that pic before because I have never posted it.

Here is a shot that has been previously posted. Joe Cox drove the car at national events in 1968 as Charlie Jr. was away in the Air Force and Charlie Sr. had just started driving. Unfortunately for me, I was away too having been drafted in 1965. I was in Ethiopia all of 1967 & '68 so I missed seeing my old car do well.

I had lunch with Charlie yesterday, he is doing great for being 91!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title -->Here's what happened to Hampps car in that semi-final against Dianna!
    (Tim McCrea Pic taken from an earlier thread.)

12. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

You are correct sir as Ed McMahon used to say......The "View" is what we called the place and it was rockin usually after a race......Ray Zang still races at Island and I ususally see him there when I race there which is not very often...

Yes that is Bill's car in that picture from Tulsa. I think he started racing some Modified cars soon after that. A Corvette and he was associated with the Jesels and Bob Duffy......as many racers were..

Next Week is the 50th Anniversary weekend at Island Dragway....

Since Don Garlits made the first official 200 mph run there, in 1964 I think it was.....he will be there for the weekends events.

They are having a car show saturday and Garlits is bringing a Swamp Rat for the event

Sunday is a raceday for regular bracket racers.....Winners get a "Wally" in all categories and Garlits will be there to award the trophies......Would be very cool to win that one.....I''ll be there racing my dragster.....I have Wally's but I'd really like to get that one and have Garlits autograph my winning ET slip.....

13. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

geez some great stuff here... looked real quick and did see it but is there/anyone have a picture of the gold 66 or 67 GTO that ran out of Mass, in the late 60s or early 70s? Think'n the car car called ":Golddigger"
    Could be wrong but may have been owned by Jim Beadreau and ran out of Tukesbury Mass (spelling ?)
    thanks
    Pontiac Slim

14. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Hi guys ... glad to see that our thread has (pretty much) returned to the (title) topic. Alas, I've got little more to add, but I was wondering how many other folks got a 'Private Message' (from "Bone Daddy"} titled --->

"Would like to interview you for a hotrodding history book"

15. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Least we forget, one of the most significant and iconic race cars of this period (subjectively) still survives and is in the hands of 'Bucks Down' member "WAGONKILLER" (Scotty).

I, for one, would $pring for (at least) 50 bucks toward a (properly administrated) "Save The Rose" fund.

[​IMG]

16. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

George Cureton's Tokyo Rose, in the pits ... during its 'glory daze'!

[​IMG]

17. BadNews

BadNews

The front tires used by this car, I believe, were Stahl 7.60 - 15 with about 28.75 or 29.25" height giving about 91 to 92" of roll out. The same as used by Terry Clark's '67 Chevelle A/S and Wayne Jesel's '56 sedan delivery "Yoo Hoo Too" cars. These were stocked at Duffy's shop.

18. copo69

copo69
    from WV

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm doing my part, I've promised him a 4-speed Hydro and Drag Fast shifter. We've just to to get the logistics of getting it to him figured out, from Washington State. It was the Yoo Hoo Too 56 Delivery that started me on my quest, followed by John Diannas' and George Curetons' Deliveries. Butch/56sedandelivery.

20. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Steve, you and I talked off line and Ive got nothing from him. I see he has yet to post on the HAMB.

21. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

22. Anybody on this thread coming to Pocono Drag Lodge Reunion this Saturday 08/14 ? HAMB meet-n-greet, noon, base of timing tower.

23. Rob L.

Rob L.
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

We are currently working on getting the 52 ready to run at York next year, it looks like alot of fun! Just wanted to mention also that the 50th anniversary of Island Dragway is coming up soon and Don Garlits will be there. We are planning on attending, anyone else coming?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  24. biscaynes

biscaynes

25. Pete, the 55 delivery n/sa 678 was jake fowler, driven by carmen rotunda. If i remember correctly, the other was mike moschello from staten island. Henry

26. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

I remember Mike Moschello very well. His car was very fast and that would have been due to his association with Ralph Truppi and the guys at T/K's.....

27. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Yes it's a neat old car and would make a great race car for someone. It's not an old race car though from the old days. I know the guy who built it about 10-12 years ago. He did an awesome job of building a jr stocker clone. Wouldn't mind having in in my garage either way (for the right price.)

28. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

I see a '57 Pontiac tail-fin sticking out next to the "Rose".....very likely Fred Borcherdt's......and the '56 wagon further down the line is Alex Jarrell's.......

It amazes me how easily I can recall these cars as if it was yesterday......

I was almost as much a spectator as a racer in those old days and since I did not drive usually, I saw a lot of the cars out on the track and in the pits.....

It was always cool to see cars you only read about in ND or Drag News or some other publication...or heard about from others.....

I tell people today there was almost always something new to see at every race back in the '60's and it made the races way more exciting than today.....Cars were evolving.....classes and eliminators were changing and being formed.....Rules changed pretty regularly.....and ET's dropped like a rock from year to year.......I'm very happy I was at many races to see it back then......and I have been fortunate to see it all evolve again right up to today.......and I still race at 62 and counting......

29. biscaynes

biscaynes

here's the pict i had posted awhile back....

[​IMG]

30. copo69

copo69
    from WV

I wondered about the "spirit of Tony Pizzi"...