Register now to get rid of these ads!

First time to Austin....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chuckIII, Aug 6, 2010.

1. chuckIII

chuckIII

Me and my wife are thinking of spending tomorrow in Austin....not sure where to go or what to do.....anyone have ideas? Thanks

2. there's an awesome rib joint on south lamar just down from the speed shop, but unfortunately the name escapes me. best ribs ever!

3. Gotta get a little A.S.S. in Austin!!!

4. bradslowmodela

bradslowmodela

you cant go to austin with out stoppin by austin speed shop. tell jesse i said hi

5. andreasklapp

andreasklapp

go to the green mesquite. i believe it's on lamar, but i can't think of the cross street, zilker park is on the same street (cross street) and the speed shop is just down the road.

6. Check out Congress Street some really cool shops and restaurants there.

7. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

Artz Ribz south of ASS, Green Moskeet north at Barton Springs Road.

8. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

and the Continental Club

9. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin
    from Some Beach

If you are in Kileen then you already know it's going to be over 100 degrees on Saturday, more like 105. So it is too damn hot to do anything outside. Barton Spring s Pool is Cold if you want to go swimming.

In the afternoon I'd suggest the Continental Club.
    http://www.continentalclub.com/Austin.html
    Get there at about 3:00 PM to get a seat for the music and dancing. Redd Volkaert and his band will show you what a Telecaster Guitar is suppost to sound like. Have few beers and enjoy an oddball mix of people from all over the world that stop by to see and hear Redd and his guys play everything from Bob Wills and Merle Haggard to Santo & Johnny and the Allman Brothers. When Its over, head up the block (further south on South Congress Ave.) to Home Slice Pizza and order the Pear and gorganzolla Salad (split the Half portion) to save room for a Pizza. Not just any Pizza, but the best Pizza in Austin. Sit up at the counter for the Pizza Tossing if you get a chance, its a show you can't believe. www.homeslicepizza.com/about/owners.html

If you go to Artz Rib House which I don't recommend, don't judge Austin by their food. If you want to try something different, I recommend Threadgills South for the Home Style food. The music that night is celebrating the 40th anniversary of the opening of the Armadillo World Headquarters. Another good option is Chuy's for the Mexican food (my favorite is the Elvis' Chicken plate.
    http://www.chuys.com/#/austin

[​IMG]

Word of advice, stay off of 6th Street late in the evening. Enjoy your visit and don't drive drunk. If you do the Jail release guys are at 512-777-7777.

Lost_N_Austin

10. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

I agree just hit congress

11. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

ASS is a pretty cool place, lots of amazing things going on there.

12. chuckIII

chuckIII

I guess congress street is where i ll be headed for a little while...and of course the ASS....when are they open tomorrow?.....

lost_n_austin thanks for all the advice...drinking and driving is never an option...the army would LOVE that...lol

thanks guys