Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Plymouth found in the weeds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JoelOkie, Aug 4, 2010.

1. JoelOkie

JoelOkie
    from Oklahoma

I was looking at a 37 Dodge pickup when I got a lead about two other old cars that were in a heavily weeded field behind a fence, one of which was a 1936 Plymouth touring sedan,which engine I could turn over by jacking the fan around, and which I ended up buying. I got it home and messed with it and got it running, but the flathead was smoking pretty good, and, I have a real nice low mileage 1993 5.7 Roadmaster engine/ tranny/ rear end, and a Mustang frontend that I was getting together for a 46 International pickup that I am thinking I might as well go ahead and use in the Plymouth. I was pleased that I was able to get the flathead to run, and was able to drive the car in the yard, especially in view of the fact that the last time it was tagged (we think) was in 1962, but I am not interested in rebuilding the flat head and doing a stock restore, which i have done with several other mopars.

I have removed the drivetrain and started cleaning everything up. I could use some help when it comes time to shoehorn the engine, as I have done transplants before, but never on this narrow of a frame, or an X frame. I will be reporting progress, and seeking advice. Joel

Attached Files:

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Nice save!!!!!

3. gtkane

gtkane

I think it's pretty cool that you could make it move on it's own power!

4. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

F%#$In Cool

5. 117harv

117harv

It should have the big wavy factory tube axle up front, dont scrap it, alot of drag racers used them back when. I'm sure someone here on the HAMB could use it.

Nice score.

6. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

nice job getting that thing started

7. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

very nice...congrats...

8. JoelOkie

JoelOkie
    from Oklahoma

After looking at it over in the weeds and finding the engine would turn I was pretty sure it would start, but I was surprised that it ran (in spite of the smoke) as good as it did. As I have several other stock mopars I had extra plugs, wires, hoses, and a complete dizzy set up with new points condenser and rotor. I took the carb off and soaked it good in a bucket of gas overnight. The fuel pump was working at first, then blew the diapraghm out, so I wired up a 6 volt electric pump. My wife was gone when I got it started, and I had driven it over under a shade tree. When she got back she asked how I got it moved, and I told her I had drove it over, which she didn't believe, and I took her out and showed her, even kicking up a little dust spinout or two. I was pretty amazed when I went to get it that none of the brakes had locked. Every Plymouth I have ever gotten up till now had to be literally dragged out. I am already liking this car about as good as any I ever had. Joel

9. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

10. JoelOkie

JoelOkie
    from Oklahoma

I have the tube axle out. I'll hook up with someone that can use it. believe me, nothing gets thrown away around here. Joel

11. JoelOkie

JoelOkie
    from Oklahoma

No I don't. I went and bought a camera just to take pics of this car, and it will make videos, but I don't know how to do it yet. The first pictures ( in the weeds) were taken with a cell phone and e-mailed to me by the guy in one of those pics, who works for me. Joel

12. What else was back there with the 36?

13. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

nice save! even cooler that it ran. can i get the oil pump from the flatty?

14. JoelOkie

JoelOkie
    from Oklahoma

a 42 Dodge Business Coupe.

Attached Files:

• 4_1.jpg
      4_1.jpg
      File size:
      68.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5_1.jpg
      5_1.jpg
      File size:
      69.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3_1.jpg
      3_1.jpg
      File size:
      59.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6_1.jpg
      6_1.jpg
      File size:
      69.5 KB
      Views:
  15. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

damn thats awesome!

16. jason65

jason65

Congrats Joel. Did you get the coupe also?

17. JoelOkie

JoelOkie
    from Oklahoma

Yes, you can have it.

18. JoelOkie

JoelOkie
    from Oklahoma

The guy is trying to make up his mind on the coupe Jason. It was his dad's, and he has a couple of young boys and he thinks he wants to restore it himself, or save it for them. I will stay in touch with him and if it comes up for sale I will dang sure post it. I think if he does sell it, he won't ask a lot for it, as he sold me the 36 for less than what a set of tires for it will cost.

The old guy that had those cars was apparently thinking about swapping the engine out of the 36 sedan into the 42 coupe that was there that had a locked motor, and he kept that engine turning by pickling it with Marvel Mystery Oil , and Liquid Wrench, judging from all the empty tin cans laying around. Everything inside, down to the radio, is there with the coupe. It even has a glass fruit jar windshiled washing unit under the hood!

I had noticed that there were a set of wheels in the trunk of my car, and when I got it home and was cleaning it out found they were a set (4) of the artillery wheels that came out on the car when new. Look to be in good enough shape to blast/paint/ and use.
    Joel

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nice find. Too bad you're so far, I'd LOVE to have another mid 30's Mopar front axle/springs. It's what I have under the '36, they're beautiful, steering is nice, they ride and handle nicely too.

Is the 350 the LT1 or throttle body? I've got a Caddy LT1 in my '48 Pontiac, it's quick, powerful and gets good mileage. They're detuned slightly from the 'Vette/Camaro version, but great engines. Bulletproof trans, and if the rear is from a wagon chances are it's a limited slip. It's an easy transplant if you have the entire harness/ECM, but if you don't, check out "LT1swap" for the pin outs and wiring tips. All you really need is the underhood harness/fuse box and ECM.

Brian

20. Squablow

Squablow

Very cool story. Are you sure the engine wasn't just burning off all the oil in the cylinders that the guy had dumped in there? I'm not saying you have to keep the engine in the car, but if it's a good runner, someone would probably want the whole motor.

I love those artillery wheels, I have a set from a '36 to go on my '40 Chrysler. That was a great find all by itself.

21. radio_king

radio_king

Very cool score!I`ve been looking for some decent pair of 36 mopar rear wheel cylinders...so if you`re not using those...

22. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

They look like the standard wheels to me, these are artillery wheels...

[​IMG]

Awesome save! Looks like its in pretty good shape considering. This is the SECOND thread I've seen in a week about one of the old Dodge flatties being fired right up after being parked outside for 40+ years. I wish I was so lucky! The flatty in my '37 Dodge truck was exposed to the elements and water got in, its stuck :(.

Good luck with the project! Whatever happened with the '37 Dodge truck? :D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  23. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

For Mo car, drive a MoPar.
    I had a 46 weapons carrier 26 with a 270 hemi when I first heard that.

24. JoelOkie

JoelOkie
    from Oklahoma

Well I thought at first it was just burning the oil out, as I had oiled down the holes the day before starting it also. After starting it up several days and running it a while (after I got it to hold water), it still smoked pretty bad. The engine starts easy, and sounds good, in spite of that, but I have already pulled it. I am thinking I will get in to it in the future and use it in my 37 plymouth pickup, for which i have no drive train.
    I was excited to find the artillery wheels! I have since found another that matches on e-bay, and bought it to set the spare on. Joel
    Joel

25. JoelOkie

JoelOkie
    from Oklahoma

Looks like the same wheels I got. I will post some pictures of the 37 Dodge truck. It is still for sale, he's asking 2 grand. I needed it for a parts truck for my 37 Plymouth, but 2k is too much for me just for parts. If I didn't have the Plymouth pickup I would be tempted, though, as I like the looks of these models. Thanks, Joel

Attached Files:

26. JoelOkie

JoelOkie
    from Oklahoma

Here is the Dodge pickup. It was last tagged in 1975 (the same year I graduated High school, got married, and started a family, but it WAS NOT in that exact order!) Has what looks to me like an old ford engine, maybe a 302, pretty much hogged into it. Joel

Attached Files:

27. JoelOkie

JoelOkie
    from Oklahoma

Brian, the engine I have has the throttle body.

The axle I have looks great, so maybe someone will want it that lives close enough. One of the ends of one of the springs was broken, and the draglink is bent up in the shape of the axle, like someone pulled it with a chain over it and the axle together, but I was able to scoot it around here in the yard for a couple of days in spite of the steering being pretty much whacked:eek:

28. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Nope, my mistake, those are artillery wheels. I was looking at the pictures and not reading the thread. Didn't realize the artillery wheels weren't on the car!

$2k for that '37 Dodge truck?! Seems pretty steep to me, looks pretty rough. Missing the original grille too, those are harder to find than the trucks are! I know I picked mine up for a lot less than that, and I'd venture its in quite a bit better shape. Too bad he wants so much for it, always great to see another of the old Dodge's (or Plymouth's) back on the road.

29. JoelOkie

JoelOkie
    from Oklahoma

The grilles are hard to find. I'm guessing that a guy might buy that Dodge truck for a whole lot less in a few months. Kinda the thing where the guy figures he has the only one left in the entire world, but he's learning (in part thanks to me),that there are plenty more, and like you say, ones to be had in better shape than this one. He came in to these vehicles recently when his dad died. I doubt like hell he'll ever restore any of them, but who knows? I'll keep an eye on it and the Dodge coupe anyway. Joel

30. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

pretty cool score and the p/u and coupe are cool to , i hope they all get saved , way cool that the flathead ran , id have to rebuild it and keep it in the car lol , have fun with it