Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

here's another set ....Rich

Attached Files:

2. What year was this RABS? My dad was there in 1978 as a spectator.

3. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Brian,it was may of '78, I've got more to post.....Rich

4. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Here's some more....Rich

Attached Files:

5. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

and a final set for tonite....Rich

Attached Files:

6. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Did you keep any records of who the drivers and owners of the cars were?

The 79 looks like it might be Shorty Watson,s ( car owner ) car.

Thanks

7. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Speedwrench, sorry I can't help with any of that info,as I lost some negatives and all entry lists, run downs, and any other records in a flood back in the mid 80's. My main concern was saving the negatives!!.....Rich

8. Yes, he was there in May. The weekend of the 500.

9. jandj

jandj

New guy here, loving the thread.
    Here's a pic I took at the Richmond IRL race back in '07.
    The guys at the display didn't have much info on the car and weren't inclined to "open the hood".
    I had photog creds at the track that day and was in a hurry, I should have taken more pics!

[​IMG]
    The second pic was sent me by a friend.

[​IMG]

Below is what I found on the 'net, any info on the car and it's history are appreciated.

At the Richmond International Speedway website there is a pic of the car Al Fleming drove at the Oct 1946 race won by Ted Horn .(It is Listed in the April Fan Submitted Photo section) It was shown at either the 2006 or 2007 Suntrust race in the paddock outside the track and many fans took photos of it.
    Basically it had minor updates done to it til it's retirement in about 1960.Not sure who the current owners are but from what i recall it has sat basically untouched since 1960.Hopefully someone with more info might give a more detailed listing about this car . But this is an example of a car that competed in the Big Car races in 1946 that still exists for all to marvel at what the guys actually drove back then in all it's glory.

Richmond International Raceway provided the following stories about their October 12 race:

Note: The first race at Richmond International Raceway-then known as Atlantic Rural Exposition or Strawberry Hill Speedway- took place on October 12, 1946. These open wheel races took place in conjunction with the Virginia State Fair each year from 1946 through 1968. The following articles, which are reprinted with permission from Media General and the Richmond Times-Dispatch, chronicle the first racing events at what is now Richmond International Raceway. Remember, Richmond at that time had two major papers, the Richmond News Leader (which is now defunct) and the Richmond Times-Dispatch. The Richmond News Leader, like many papers from that ERA, was an afternoon paper.

Richmond News Leader

Fair Plans Full Auto Race Card Despite Threat of Rain

October 12, 1946

Auto Racing Day at the Atlantic Rural Exposition started under a handicap from the weatherman today, with a prediction of rain in the early afternoon. Race officials, however, accustomed to the weatherman’s gloomy headshakes, made preparations for a full card of big car events, including time trials, four eight-lap heat races and a 20-lap sweepstakes final.
    Many of the country’s top drivers were slated to appear in the races scheduled to start at 1:30 p.m. Entrants included Ted Horn, of Paterson, N.J., current point leader in the AAA national speed championship; Hank Rogers, of Trenton, N.J., former champion of an independent speed circuit in Pennsylvania and New Jersey; Mark Light, of Lebanon, 1938 Eastern AAA dirt track champion, and “Red” Byron, of Atlanta, leading money winner in recent races at the Southeastern World’s Fair in Atlanta.
    Other top entrants include George Marshman, of Philadelphia, former midget car driver; Al Fleming, veteran Richmond driver’ Danny Gross, of Bridgeton, N.J.; Earl Johns, of Somerville, N.J.; Warren Bates, of Monroesville, N.J., Otis Stine, of York, Pa.; Charley Berslin of Philadelphia, and Ben Smerto of Newark, N.J.
    Livestock exhibits were scheduled to be removed from the Exposition grounds today.
    Grandstand perfomers and midway attractions, however, were looking forward to record crowds. They counted heavily on the fact that Saturday is a full or half-day holiday for many Richmonders and expressed the belief that today would see a large turnout from persons who visits to the exposition were delayed two days this week by persistent rain.
    So far the job of the law enforcement officer at the exposition has been an easy one. Major E.H. Organ, chief of police, reported today.
    The police chief said he had deputized about 80 men to help county and State police at the Fair Grounds. So far only one arrest and one accident have been reported.
    “Fairs aren’t what they used to be,” Major Organ said. “In the old days police used to make from 50 to 100 arrests during the week and accidents would number well over 50.”

Richmond Times-Dispatch

Ted Horn Cracks Half-Mile Speed Mark Here,
    Wins Feature Race at Atlantic Exposition

October 13, 1946
    By Max Ailor

It was Ted Horn day at the Atlantic Rural Exposition yesterday as the Paterson, N.J. speedster established a new half-mile sprint record during the time trials and then went on to lap seven cars to win the 10-mile Sam Nunis feature race before 8,000 onlookers. The time was seven minutes, 27 seconds.
    The uncrowned national big car champion had no competition on Richmond’s new half-mile banked track. Horn sped through the first qualifying eight-lap heat in the fast time of 3:15 a full half lap in front of Hank Rogers, of Trenton, N.J., who was driving the second fastest car on the track.
    The Offenhausers were proved to be everything that the experts say as both Horn and Hank Rogers, driving the only “Offeys” in yesterday’s competition, monopolized the feature race. Horn finished the 10-mile sprint three quarters of a lap in front of Rogers who in turn finished a half lap ahead of third place driver Red Byron of Atlanta, who was driving a Dreyer powered automobile.
    The racing champion did not waste time in getting a comfortable lead in the feature. Starting on the pole position, Horn jumped into a five-length lead on the first time around the oval; was leading by 10 lengths on the fourth lap. He was a half lap ahead of Rogers who was in second place with a comfortable lead.
    When Horn started to lap his opponents, Rogers was able to close in on the lead to within a quarter lap by the fifteenth sprint but Horn was not long in breaking in the clear and had the lead well out in front again by the eighteenth lap.
    Richmond was represented by three drivers, Jimmy Gibbons, Al Fleming and Burt Stark.
    Gibbons showed up well in the final race, finishing fourth in a close contest for the No. 3 position. Gibbons ran No. 3 throughout the first 15 laps before giving way to Red Byron. He drove the third fastest lap during the time trials.
    Al Fleming won the third qualifying heat and was running well up in the money during the first three laps of the feature but an over-heated motor finally forced him back in the field of finishers. Fleming placed seventh in the feature race.
    Instead of a consolation race, the promoters gave the fans a five-lap post feature show between Horn and Rogers. Horn stuck to the outside of the track all the way turning up plenty of dirt on the turns to thrill fans and then made a final sprint to edge out Rogers by a length on the final straightaway.

First heat (8 laps) : First, Ted Horn; second, Hank Rogers; third, Jimmy Gibbons. Time: 3:15
    Second heat (8 laps) : First, Mark Light; second, Earl Jones; third Red Byron. Time: 3:30
    Third heat (8 laps) : First, Al Fleming; second, Dan Goss; third, Stan Jones; fourth Marx Sooy. Time: 3:32
    Sweepstakes (20 laps) : First, Ted Horn; second, Hank Rogers; third, Red Byron; fourth, Jimmy Gibbons; fifth, Earl Johns; sixth, Dan Goss; seventh, Al Fleming; eighth, Marx Sooy. Time: 7:27

Also part of the collection will be rare photos of participants in that inaugural race, including winner Ted Horn, Jimmy Gibbons (who drove a car in that race for Frank Donleavy, Junie Donleavy's uncle) and Fleming.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  10. deuce354

deuce354

Hi Guys, Finally learned how to post pictures, been lurking & following this thread since the beginning. The information is amazing. Just wanted to show my big car projects. The car i have finished was built in 1940, and raced until 1947. The car won alot of races before WW2 using a model B engine. The drivers were Tommy Adams & Ollie Oilyer. I have the clippings of the races it won. The car ran in the Midwest mostly in the Ill, Iowa area. After the war a fellow named Quieton Cowles bought it and installed a Allis-Chambers W-45 tractor engine it it. He raced it in the Mississippi Valley Racing Assoc. In 1946 he was named Rookie of the year. The car started out as a 3 springer, but Quieton wrecked it & made it a 2 springer. There were 3 Allis powered Big cars that ran in the that assoc, Two of them were real successful, winning alot of races & a few championships. My car is the only Allis powered survivor. This thing has alot of power. It has a 41/2" stroke & with the overbore it comes out to 241ci. The car was pretty much a basket case when i got it. The car is pretty small 84" wheelbase . My brother in law & i work on the cars on saturdays & we have a great time. Last fall we took the Allis to the Winchesters Old Timers weekend and had a blast. The guys that run the event are the best, got to run it two sessions on the track. The car we are working on now is a bigger car, 94' wheelbase, alum bodied car. It was built in 1937 , and raced in the Midwest in AAA, IMCA & CSRA by Fritz Tegtmier. The car was powered by a DO Hal, dark blue #44. The car was a first class car in its day, chrome grille shell, knock off wheels etc. I dont have a Hal, so we are using a model B block with a Crager ohv conversion. I also have a set of Rudge knock offs am having adaptors made for right now. We hope to have it done next year. We work almost every Sat, If anybody is in the area [ 12 mi north of Pgh ] & would like to check them out, or just bench race let me know . Best regards Deek

Attached Files:

11. baldtireman

baldtireman

Deek: That red #7 is really sharp. I 'll trade you a ride in my sprinter for a ride in yours! I still think about your dad a lot. Boy,he was one of the best ever from this area. He really made it tough for you,a very capable driver,to get respect. It's really tough to follow a Legend. If you had gotten the backing he had, I think you cuold have done as well or better. you were a smoother driver.I watched you both,and I am glad of it. John S.:D

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

NEW ASSIGNMENT for ya'll...

Back in the early stages of this thread I posted pics of a car in a local collection. Well, now it has changed hands and the new owner wants me to get it race ready! I can't wait.

The assignment is: Tell me what you can about it... Here is what I know.

It's a 3" tube frame, spring front ALUMINUM body car. By the looks of it, it's been around a long time, and been through many upgrades and changes (like all good ol' race cars) Up front the bumper bolts on to plates that were originally for friction style shocks... The rear of the frame has been updated to torsion. I'd guess it was originally leaf spring rear. You can see where it was added onto. The inner structure has been redone as well. I'm sure it's had it's fair share of mishaps. The rear Fuel tank is KILLER! Man I wish it could talk!!!

The car came out of a collection of car in the Penn. area that was vintage raced 5-7 years ago. Maybe someone will recognize it, or the chassis make...

Thanks guys, here are some pics.

Attached Files:

13. racer5c

racer5c

First set

All I can help with is 29 Billy Cassella, 20 George Snider
    2nd set 49 car owned by Don Siebert, 44 Pancho, 22 might be Jackie Howerton
    41 might be Chuck Gurney, Gary B. Standing on the fence

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  14. E HANSEN13

E HANSEN13

Cool pics looks like a kick ass time too...

15. deuce354

deuce354

Hi John, Thanks for the kind words, your going to give me a big head. Deek

16. deuce354

deuce354

Hi Larry, The Lowther #77 midget is owned by a friend of mine, John Bradel from Baden, Pa. His son used to run it alot in AARA events. But i dont think they run it much anymore due to the value of Offy engines. Deek

17. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

HURRICANE WARNINGS (THIS IS CRAZY) THE FUNNIEST YET

Well, it appears our African-American friends have found yet something else to be pissed about. A black congresswoman (this would be Sheila Jackson Lee, of Houston Texas reportedly complained that the names of hurricanes are all Caucasian sounding names. She would prefer some names that reflect African-American culture such as Chamiqua, Tanisha, Woeisha, Shaqueal, and Jamal. I am NOT making this up! She would also like the weather reports to be broadcast in "language" that street people can understand because one of the problems that happened in New Orleans was that black people couldn't understand the seriousness of the situation, due to the racially biased language of the weather report. I guess if the weather person says that the winds are going to blow at 140+ MPH,that's too hard to understand! I can hear it now:A weatherman in New Orleans says...Wazzup, mutha-fukkas! Hehr-i-cane Chamiqua be headin' fo' yo ass like Leroy on a crotch rocket! Bitch be a category fo'! So, turn off dem chitlins grab yo' chirren, leave yo crib, and head fo' de nearest FEMA office fo yo FREE stuff!

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Quite a few shots of the Lowther #77 can be seen amongst the earlier albums on the AARA site:

http://www.antiqueautoracing.com/photos.htm

Attached Files:

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Kinda OT, but while perusing the pics from the Loring LSR meet, came across several shots of this car. Nice tin work!

Attached Files:

20. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

What kind of a cage is on that thing and is it a 2 seater ???:eek:

21. baldtireman

baldtireman

Oh My.......

22. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Josh,
    The sprinter came out of the Jim Sowers collection. I believe that Spike can offer some history on that car because his brother owned and drove it. I seem to recall the nose or grille has a connection to Ted Horn.I raced against the car, but do not remember who built it. We look forward to Spikes imput.

23. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Rootie,
    Does that car say Murray Bros. on the hood? If it does, it is a street car based on an Indy roadster. The car is about 5 miles from my house. He is a regular visitor at Loudon. Andy did a great job on the car and was Hot Rod magazines Hot rod of the year in 2009. He had never done much aluminum work before this project, but managed to do it well enough to avoid painting it.

24. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Joe,
    That grill on the red and white #10 is a cast aluminum grill that Joe Gertler used on his tube frame Midgets. I got a couple of them. They are quite thick and heavier than most cast grills.
    Stan................

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yep, here's another shot. Now that you mention it, I believe I did see it in HRM, while leafing through a issue at the grocery store a while back.

Attached Files:

• mb.jpg
      mb.jpg
      File size:
      131.2 KB
      Views:
  26. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

The Murray Bro. special is one of my all time favorite cars. To me it is the perfect interpretation of a street style Indy roadster. Most of the street Watson cars just miss a little to me but this one is spot on.

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thanks guys!

Lets hear the story Spike "Tyrone" Ruth... :D

(All kidding aside, ya gotta watch that shit... There are mediators that read all this, and TRUST ME, they do NOT put up with ANY off topic subjects like above)

Thanks guys.

J Shaw

28. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'speedwrench, 'I think I might be able to help you out on some of Rich's awesome pics from the Indy Mile from that race in May of '78.

Post No. #11387--Left to Right/ Top to Bottom

#1-- #29 Billy Cassella, Seymour
    #79 Jerry Miller, Watson
    #2-- #29 Cassella
    #9 Greg Leffler, Smith
    #3-- #17 The Winner! Toby Tobias
    #4-- #96 Dana Carter, Davis
    #41 Chuck Gurney, Bob Coulter
    #43 Tom Bigelow, Sherman Armstrong
    #5-- #20 George Snider, Rhoades
    #6-- #29 Cassella
    #17 Toby
    #7-- #29 Cassella
    #17 Toby

Post No. #11388

#1-- #17 Toby
    #2-- #17 Toby
    #3-- #17 Toby
    #4-- #1 Sheldon Kinser, Gohr
    #5-- #20 George Snider, Rhoades
    #6-- #29 Cassella
    #7-- #77 Dave Peperak, Own
    #8-- #17 Toby

Post No. #11391

#1-- #49 Lealand McSpadden, Siebert Olds
    #74 Rich Vogler, Ben Leyba
    #2-- #49 McSpadden
    #74 Vogler
    #3-- #55 Jimmy Oskie, Jr. Knepper
    #35 Jerry Weeks, Bowen
    #4-- #55 Oskie
    #80 Malcom Lovelace, Own
    #35 Weeks
    #5-- #49 McSpadden
    #6-- #22 Bobby Olivero, Hill
    #7-- #44 Pancho, Steve Stapp

Post No. #11392

#1-- #49 McSpadden
    #74 Vogler
    #2-- #44 Pancho
    #3-- #74 Vogler
    #4-- #49 McSpadden
    #5-- #1 Kinser
    #65 Junior Parkinson, Own
    #29 Cassella
    #42 Gurney
    #96 Dana Carter
    #6-- 'Like Racer5C says, definitely GB on the left and on the right
    'looks like the son of Denny Zimmerman's 1971 Indy 500 car owner,
    Frank Fiore, Frank Fiore, Jr.???
    #7-- #17 Toby
    #29 Cassella.......with Gary B. in the foreground!
    This photo was the story of the race, Toby and Cassella battling
    more than half the race with Toby winning again as he had at
    the Tony Hulman Classic earlier in May of that year.

29. larrymatt

larrymatt
    from Johnstown

Hi Deek

Someone told me it was still in Western PA...

Good to see it is still around.

LM

30. larrymatt

larrymatt
    from Johnstown