Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects any one know? 35 chevy motor to 29??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty metal, Jul 31, 2010.

1. rusty metal

rusty metal
    from california

is the 1935 motor compatable to a 1929??? engine mounts, and bell housing, clutch?????

2. ken1939

ken1939

Nope. You would have to change the whole driveline, Engine, Trans and rear to make that work.

30/31 will match

32 is by itself due to the free wheeling trans

33 you have some options. I know you can use either a 33 truck engine or a 37 engine to bolt up to the 33 trans.

I plan on dropping a 37 engine into my 33 3 window.

3. rusty metal

rusty metal
    from california

thanks for the info....

i want to leave the 29 stock, so i have to look for a motor.

the motor i have someone did not tighten the piston wrist pins and they moved scoring all the block walls

4. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

1929 through 1936 was the series 1 engine. Some displacement increases. The 216 was introduced in 1937.

Ken1939 says: I know you can use either a 33 truck engine or a 37 engine to bolt up to the 33 trans. I plan on dropping a 37 engine into my 33 3 window.

If this is true, and I have no reason to believe it is not, then any 1st or 2nd series engine will bolt to your transmission. Mounts, I don't know. Maybe they changed but I doubt it. The earlier engines are said to be a little longer than a 216 but I have never checked that.

5. dudley32

dudley32

sleeves ??

6. rusty metal

rusty metal
    from california

i might sleve it if i cant find another engine by the time i`m ready for it...

all the wood was a buffet for the termites, framing it in steel now.

7. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

bore it over and put other pistons in?

8. Snarl

Snarl

switch it over to aluminum pistons also, if you haven't already...

9. ken1939

ken1939

The backs of the blocks changed on most of those years. For example, my 30 engine is the same as a 31. Both 194's, take the same parts, however the rear of the block is different enough. The bell housings are both different, one is cast (31) and one is stamped steel (30). I was planning to keep my Landau Phaeton RHD but since the bell housings wont bolt up I changed it over to LHD.

I know locally it would be around 2K for a rebuild on a good block, and that is with the babbiting and me taking the thing apart.

I would look around for an engine, check craiglook as well. I got my 30 engine from Upper Michigan, and its a good clean motor with trans. $500.00.

Do a search on the hamb, I though somone had a 29 engine to sell in california.

Check also with the VCCA (vintage chevy club of america) website, or forums at least as potential sources for a good engine.

Also check the Termites forum on the hamb, early chevy guys may have an answer.

If you needed a 31 there is one local to me in Pittsburgh on craigslist. However I already have an engine and I am sticking to using the 30.

10. ken1939

ken1939

11. rusty metal

rusty metal
    from california

I found tony posting somewhere on another thread and he left me a message that he gave it away already.

i have access to another block, bill form billypossum.com says he has a block if i choose to do a rebuild. he is local for me.

i will keep my eye open for another engine.

12. rusty metal

rusty metal
    from california

here is my car, i got it for $2175 a complete car.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. ken1939

ken1939

That is a heck of a purchase for sure! Dang great deal for what you have.

Not sure if you plan on replacing wood with steel, but Rodmans is where I got my wood kit from for my Landau Phaeton.

What I found was, the wood wasnt made incorrectly, it was made 75 years later. The car is a hoot as one door was made slightly different that the other. Harry and Bill didnt talk obviously. So I had to do some wood chisel work here and there to make things fit right.

Cant wait to see more pics, as you really do have a good foundtaion!

14. rusty metal

rusty metal
    from california

pics of back of car as requested

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. jrlemke

jrlemke

Find someone with an old(19th edition or so 1953) Hollander book. Lots of info on interchanging these motors. Too much to post. Looks like in could be done with a lot of parts if you can find them. Good luck. Jim

16. rusty metal

rusty metal
    from california

i already got another 29 motor for $100, i am using the block from that one and the rest of the parts for the motor from the car.. i have 90psi in each cylind,er with oil squirt in cylinders so it should run good, the guides are a little worn but it should be good to put around town in,