Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 Chev or 64 Ford Truck which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lrs30, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I love the '60-'66 Chevies and have a '66 C-10 project BUT I also love the '61-'66 Fords. There's a white unibody near me that I drool over every time I drive by, the same guy has a solid SB Stepside '58 Apache with the back piled full of trash. Sighhhhhh.........

In this case I'd be inclined to go with the Ford based on the engine bay pic but those wheels HAVE TO GO!!!! Those don't look good on ANYTHING, they aren't even worthy of a trailer.

2. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

The Chev has been upgraded to disc's in the fron, ALL NEW FRONT SUSPENSION, POWER STEERING UPGRADE New RADIATOR,ALT,FUEL PUMP and BAGGED in the front and Blocked in the back..Yhea the wheels on the ford need to go thats for sure, and as far as lowering the FORD I have heard its hard to do with a twin I beam, havent even looked into it.. gotta get one or the other first...

3. Twin I beam started in 1965. That Ford should have a solid beam.

4. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

You're gonna make this hard aren't you? Now I'll have to say flip a coin.
    Sure you can't swing both LOL?

5. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

6. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

chevy trucks are always worth more even in a poor condition cause they look better. the ford does look like a better truck but then again it has better pictures. the ford is not an easy truck to lower as apposed to the chevy that already has disc and front bags.

so chevy for me looks better stops better and rides lower.

7. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Chevies are always worth more? :eek: Cause they look better? To Who?

8. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

to the mass public

9. brad chevy

brad chevy

Whichever one you want but I hope you are not trading even on either one.both are on the market everywhere for $3500 to $6500.

10. I'm a Ford guy, and I would have voted for the Ford even if it had been a long bed (long bed trucks ride better). Nothing wrong with the beam axle front end, and king pins last almost forever if you keep them greased adequately. Either the Ford or the Chevy can be easily upgraded to disc brakes. Both have good parts interchangeability over a range of years. Ford stepside beds and rear fenders were the same from '53 into the '70s; Chevy the same from '55-'66. Ford built essentially the same truck '61-'64 (with a lot of body parts interchange through '66); Chevy built pretty much the same truck '64-'66 (with a lot of body and chassis parts interchange back to '60. Ford guy that I am, I think '64-'66 Chevys are among the best looking trucks of all time in terms of styling. I like the '64-'66 windshield/A pillar design better than the '60-'63 wrap-around windshield, but that's a matter of preference. The '60-'66 Chevys are good riding and handling trucks if all the suspension is in good condition. Both the Ford and Chevy trucks are mechanically pretty simple and easy to work on. Bottom line, go with what you like. If you don't have strong brand loyalty to one or the other, consider whichever one is the best buy as it is and would take the least money to bring it up to what you want it to be.

11. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Yeah. Like everyone else says. If the air suspension looks right on the chevy and you like it better, get the Bowtie. But those Y-blocks are so damn cool. And definately not straight up. They gotta put some cash on top of their part.

12. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

There is money changing hands, as the market on HD's is low, my bike is valued around the 7 to high 8k range, the chev will bring more cash than the FORD

13. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Get the chevy then if it seems like something you want. Cash is nice.

14. carzwy

carzwy

Twin I beam front suspension sucks go for the Chevy

15. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Chevy for sure!

Attached Files:

16. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some more pics.. The Chev does have th OG Bench Seat, and Steering Wheel also just not on the truck, The FORD is All original Number correct....The Chev does have alot of upgrades

Here is what I am trading

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PROPcUJRYZ0

17. Domino

Domino

The Ford is a lot cleaner and all stock. The Chevy looks a little wavy in the pics.

18. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

The Chevy for sure!

19. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

There are those valve covers again. haha

20. 65stepside

65stepside

chevy but thats just my opinion and i am definitely biased

21. zephyrV12

zephyrV12
    BANNED
    from pomona ca

chevys are nice. but ford rocks

22. I would take the chevy and just change the seats out,colum/steering wheel and the shifter. They have more of a classic look. But if the ford was a pre 54 I would go for the ford. :p

23. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

24. Hack Attack

Hack Attack

I test drove that 63 back in April.

Scary ride! He wanted to trade my bike for it. I said no way.

It was in Mansfield Ohio at the time.

PM me if you want the details on the truck.

25. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

I'm biased towards Chevy's, but that engine dress up crap's gotta go

26. deto

deto

Are you kidding? That kit completes the truck. I wonder if I could get him to part out that custom painted intake.

27. Well, the Ford's worth like $1000, the Chevy at least three or four times as much and has a chance of actually selling if you change your mind. The Ford, there are guys into them, but they're so tight they make Kaiser or Studebaker guys look like they have Bill Gates' money to throw around - I'd take the Chevy if it was a dead, rusted wreck before I'd take the Ford running and driving.

And I do mean it, I've researched the Fords a few times because I bought that stupid '66 crewcab carcass, you can buy a pretty damn nice one that you can drive home for $1000 or less any day of the week. I happened to check in at the slick 60s' web board a while back to see them bitching about what looked like it had been a decent drivable pickup being scrapped, roof torn off it by a loader. Well, there's a reason for that. The same guys don't even want to pay what this crew will bring me for scrap, for what's supposed to be a rare truck, and they're too dumb to figure out they should find something I like better and trade me if they don't want to pay my price. I'll never own another one, that's for sure.

So give me a Chevy any day if only for that reason.

28. friskyspatula

friskyspatula

The final choice is purely up to you, but I would go with the all original Ford. I own a 64 F-100, but wouldn't call myself a Ford guy, I inherited the truck so I didn't have to worry about having a choice. But I have also owned various Chevrolets and Mopars... Every company made cool vehicles and the each made duds.

I would rather deal with an all original Ford than a Chevy that someone has "built", you never know what you are getting into when someone else has done the work.

As far as aftermarket, they both have sources to get parts... if you don't want to deal with the Y-block you can literally drop any motor into it, since it has a single I-Beam there is no room issues, plus there is no cross-member under the motor.

If you want a more modern front-suspension. The 2003-2007 Ford Crown Victoria front suspension is a bolt in modification. Personally I like the old style I-Beam, gives it character.

Good luck on your choice.

29. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

I say Ford.. You can't beat the Fenders on the truck.. I was wanting to get rid of mine for a while, but fell in love with it again, so I'm keeping it.. I just need to lower it, chrome the front and rear bumpers. No twin I-beam on 64 F100's a solid axle, leafs in the rear. Plus that Chevy has a big Di@k for a shifter.. Hahaha

Attached Files:

30. jchav62

jchav62

Puro chevy...:D

Attached Files: