Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starter Trouble 327 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by S Baltera, Aug 3, 2010.

1. S Baltera

S Baltera

327 chevy.Having trouble lining up the starter bolts.Staggerd mount . Can get the strait bolt lined up but cant line up the staggerd one.About half a thread off.Correct starter (Delco Reman w/ iron nose).Bellhousing is an old Lakewood w/ inspection plate.Tried grinding a little on the nose of the starter And also on the bellhousing. No luck. Any Sugesstions ?

2. S Baltera

S Baltera

Yea got them from a guy that rebuilds starters.He gets them right from GM

3. i'm not following this , what do you mean when you say one bolt is straight and the other is staggered? pictures?

4. S Baltera

S Baltera

Its a staggerd bolt starter.The out board bolt hole is in line with the back of the block the in board bolt is staggerd in a bit.

5. S Baltera

S Baltera

took the starter to a starter rebuild shop.told me Ihad the right starter for that set up..Its a 327 4-speed 168 tooth flywheel

6. S Baltera

S Baltera

The guy also said the only other nose for that starter was a strait bolt set up which they used w/ automatics

7. GM engine block ... GM starter ... aftermarket bellhousing. Sounds to me like the starter snout (although correct for that flywheel) is still contacting the bellhousing somewhere. I broke both of my cast iron starter snout (from overtightening ... by hand ... me strong:rolleyes:) and went to the wreckers and found a starter out of a 4.3 V6 full size pickup from the mid-late nineties (smallish aluminum snout, and has the staggered bolt pattern. Might just work for you. It does sound like you need some to do some more "clearancing" on the cast snout, or you could try one of those mini-starters, they don't even have a snout. Keep in mind, my opinion regarding more clearancing is based on my thoughts due to the fact that I can not actually see the problem for myself.

8. I use #3689 which is cast iron with both bolt patterns and has the smallest nose cone of all the oem starters and clear my scatter shield

9. S Baltera

S Baltera

THANX for all your help everyone.Gonna try the #3869 .Thats A Delco I presume ?