Register now to get rid of these ads!

The one that got away

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OahuEli, Aug 1, 2010.

1. falfas55

falfas55

If I could have any car back that I have owned,it would be this one.

Attached Files:

2. About all they actually share is glass and window trims, you might be able to swap doors between them too. I parted out the remains of a couple of them like 6 or 7 years ago and had people telling me the roof stamping is even different. Frame and floorpan is entirely different, although it may share with other Pontiac station wagons. Sold the entire tops off them to a guy who wanted to build an Olds version of a Safari - don't know what ever became of that, would think if he'd built it we'd have seen a picture somewhere by now.

Also, no such thing as a '61 T-bird with a retractable hardtop, those only came on 57-59 Ford cars.

The year we were hauling cars out of one junkyard and ran out of money we missed a bunch of cars that should have been saved - basically solid '58 Ford and '59 Buick hardtops, a '55 Ford 4-door that even had a perfect interior, a '35 Ford pickup, a '48 Ford convertible body (someone did get that), 41 Pontiac coupe, '38 Chevy tudor that wasn't that bad once it was out of the brush.. there's more I could list but you get the idea. Most of the stuff on the high side was surprisingly decent.

3. ken1939

ken1939

passed on a dissasembled 32 Ford roadster back in 88 at the first nsra nats in syracuse ny. It was $1800.

4. 19vegas56

19vegas56

There are two that stick out. 1st was on LI in 1975 i missed out on a '55 chev 2 door w/a w30 Olds & a worked trans, & some custom body & interior work. Some friends told me about it on a sunday. The owner had it for sale for over a month & wanted $500 cash, he wouldn't take a deposit. When I called him monday morning after going to the bank he told me someone bought it 10 min after I left.
    2nd was around the same time I passed on a '58 vette roller for $200 because the cockpit was too cramped. I'm still kicking myself over that one.

5. andreasklapp

andreasklapp

well whether they did or didn't really isn't the point, whatever motor it had in it really isn't the point, whoever got it really isn't the point. the point is i didn't end up getting that car, and some bastard with 50 dollars who happened to be the only one at the auction interested in a car got it instead. roughly the same rundown with about a dozen others over the past ten years.

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Kinda funny how women remember certain things huh? Sometimes its things we wish they didn't remember. lol

8. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

9. Back in my college days in the early to mid 1960s - there was a kind of
    run down 1953 Buick Skylark convertible sitting at the curb in front of a
    house. When I asked, I think they said the price was $750.....which I
    didn't have. You've probably seen what those sell for today.

In that same time era, the Plymouth dealership had a nice 46-48 Merc
    convertible in good original condition on the used car lot for $450.
    No money as usual.

Did buy a 1952 Dodge two door fastback from a little old lady who lived
    near the college. Saw a wilted for sale sign in the window while walking
    past the car. Elderly lady came to the door, said she had quit driving, and
    wanted $20 for the car. It ran fine, had some scrapes down the side from
    the garage door frame. I gave her the money real quick; took her to the
    license bureau the next day to sign it over and complete the sale.

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ok, I'm two in to demonstrate my stupidity, lets make it three! About '97, a good buddy of mine and I were walking a local swap meet, and saw a '33 5 window on a trailer with a bad case of the early seventies. Sat way too high, had 10" and 8" Truspokes hanging out of the fenderwells, but otherwise, a very clean, cool, early sixties hot rod. 327, Muncie 4 speed, beautiful coat of black lacquer rubbed a bit thin in some spots over a dead straight body, black vinyl over VW seats done in millions of narrow pleats, just bitchin' on every level you could imagine, but because of unfortunate stance and wheel and tire combo, ugly. By the end of the day it had very little interest, so Ron made an offer that should have insulted the owner, (it was already priced cheaply for the day) and he bit! We took it home, cleaned it up, put a set of school bus yellow ford steelies and caps on it, I did some suspension massage to get it down, rebuilt the carb, new battery - done! Instant driver, and pretty too! Six months later, he stumbles across the deal of a lifetime on a '32 three window. Space is an object at this time for him, and he decides the '33 has to go. He calls me, and tells me that I am buying the '33! I respond with, "How, I'm broke, I can barely pay my mortgage, more or less buy the car". At the time it was true. He tells me that I'll take the car, pay whatever I can each month, as long as I pay something until it s payed off. I would be expected to sell off a couple of my projects to help with the bulk of it, but no particular hurry. What did I say to this? Thanks, but I can't!!! I'm one of those weirdos that has never had a car loan and other than my house, I've never bought what I can't afford. I won't mention the price, because I would have a torch and pitchfork meeting on my lawn to celebrate my stupidity if I did, but it was way under what this car would have sold for in those days... Just what he had in it. Now here comes the post script on this one. Ron sold the car locally for a hefty profit, and the next time I saw it, the four speed and Ansen pedals were replaced with a turbo hydro 350 and billet Lokar shifter. Then the interior became tweed, then the door hinges disappeared, Then the hood became one of those gwadaufull Rootlieb deals with the funky beltline that runs up over the hood top... The car is still around Phoenix, but is no longer identifiable as what it was. Too make matters worse, just weeks later I accepted a corporate job with a huge manufacturer and for the next six years I made more money than I knew what to do with...

11. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I've had quite a few cars, nothing spetacular, just beaters, and my old trucks. One car I remember though was a '65 Chevy SS, about 1977, I was 16-17. The car was advertised in the Sunday paper and my dad went with me to look at it. The body was pretty decent, missing a few trim pieces, and the interior had all of the SS trim and gauges. The asking price was something like $300. We took it for a test drive and my dad, a very good mechanic, could detect a slight slip in the tranny so he had me pass on it. Two weeks later we answer another ad for a '65 Chevy, turned out to be the same car but the new owner bought the missing trim pieces, this time the price was $100 more, again, we passed. My dad wasn't much into muscle cars and didn't want me to waste my money on this sow. Other than the loose tranny my dad did agree the car was in great shape. I think about that car every once in a while.

12. Didn't pass on this one ! But let my 59 Plymouth wagon go to cheap before I bought this Nomad . I just had the cash from selling the 59 and another car, my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy .

Attached Files:

13. She's got a mind like a steel trap.

But I got here back, she had a chance to buy a porsce speedster while I was off having an adventure. 900 bucks and needed a master cylinder.

Even the Ol' Man was upset over that one. He had a master under his bench.

14. fleetside66

fleetside66

I had a few, but the most memorable was in 1970. A guy in my apartment building had a 1955 Corvette, with a factory 3-speed manual trans & the new 265 V-8. It was blue & had the hardtop. Keep in mind, I was unemployed at that particular time. I asked him one day if he'd ever sell it & he said "Yeah, but it'd be more than you can afford." He was right, $2,800. It the time the apartment I was renting was $50/mo. Enough said?

15. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Lots of cars back in the 70's. Whoda thunk the values would go so high. The one I regret most was a 55 Chevy Handyman wagon, small block 4 speed. Think it was around 3 grand. Probably not as nice as I remember, and 3 grand was a chunk o' change back in the 70's. Not sure why I passed or, what I got instead, but that was one cool vehicle.

16. metalman

metalman

Back in the 70'S a guy was selling 3 34 Ford 5 windows. One a complete bone stocker that ran with a really,really nice body, second one was a old hot rod, fenderless with a Olds tri power, nice body but needed paint and the third one was an old roundy rounder with a sbc. $1500 firm for all three. All I had was $1000 and he wouldn't budge on the price or that it was all 3 or none. My best friend was looking for a hot rod, had $500 so I offered him the fenderless hot rod. He passed, had found a 41 Willys coupe he wanted more and it was only $400. By the time I scraped up the extra 5 they were gone. At the time I couldn't believe my buddy wanted a pos Willy's over a 34 Ford, seeing what steel Willy's coupes go for today I guess he wasn't as stupid as I thought he was!

17. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Quote: Yeah i thought it ws a Ford, how do you call those? G bodies? or is G body just for GM?

I think it was a BHB

19. knotttty

knotttty

Back in 1977 I had just bought a new Dodge p.u. ... big mistake ..oh well.... Just after buying it a friend and local engine builder..was out with me for a drive.. says to me go to this address for a look at a car I just finished the engine on.

We drove up the guys property...there it was 1969 Roadrunner... needed a paint job... dull blue .. had the old tuck and roll interior.... good body and well a totally rebuilt numbers matching engine and trans... being a 426 and 4 speed .. all for $1800.. and it had been sitting there for a loooong time... remember the gas crisis... no one wanted the big gas guzzlers... oh well... thats my ...one that got away.... fun to read all your stories ..