Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville and Beyond 2010

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kuztomklaus, Jul 27, 2010.

1. For inquiring minds ... here's a few pics of the panel that's at the station in New Jersey ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunday … We hit the open road. We had a little lunch with Redd and Christine at the Club Diner and then headed west. We took a planned detour through SO WHAT country and took a look at a 50 International Fatabone had for sale. When we arrived Plowboy was standing up on a flat bed riffling through the contents of his new '37 Lincoln they had just picked up somewhere in NY I think they said. We're now the owners of that International, to keep the Pub Tiki Panel company on the sea journey back to Sweden in September. After we looked at Jr's shop and did the business we were whisked away to a local bistro for a little food and drink with Jr and Aaron. Clark and Scary Larry were recruited to come hang with us. We sat around a few high tops and shot the shit for a few hours. Talking about things to see on the trip and who's name to drop where to get the best tour or a discount and an invitation to a BBQ. It was valuable info from folks who have done the exact same trip we're doing.

There was something about shitting in people's houses and burning their pillow cases … no, that's not right … it was the other way around … shitting in people's pillow cases and burning down their houses … although we never thought to ask why we might be inclined to do such things … it sounds funny, so those little phrases will probably find their way into our conversations over the next few weeks.

Jr might be able to get our rim drama sorted out. He's got some 8 lugs he can swap for 6 lug at the junk yard on Wednesday and then he'll throw them in with the pick 'em up truck. Jr also hooked us up with a buddy of theirs who ships vehicles regularly to Norway … so we're going to look into that as a shipping option as well. Clark's hooking us up with a '48 Chevy hood to bring home with us. Thanks Jr and Clark! You're the best!

We were having a great time with the PA (and IL) HAMBers but we were forced to part company around 9:00pm to get back on the road and get a little closer to Michigan. So we said our goodbyes and drove a few hours west. Got a room somewhere on the PA turnpike and woke up refreshed and feeling great that the trip was starting out in grand style doing what we love best … hanging out with HAMBers and yakkin' it up with amazingly cool “car people” from this great country!

Next stop Danimal's farm in Michigan, a trip to the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn and then we're off to Chicago for some fun in the Windy City. More later.

See ya out there kids …

Klaus and Cindy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. Nice to hear you´re on your way,wish you a pleasant trip,and want to hear all about it when you get back to Sweden again.
    / Vince

3. fatabone

fatabone

It was great seeing you two and hope your trip is going great. Beware of the steamy warm pillow cases they may not have just come out of the dryer!

4. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

C&K just left. Next stop: Chicago!

It was a really great day!

5. Klaus - See ya out there sometime during the middle of next week. We'll drink to each other's 50th B-day!

-- Patrick

6. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I take it you made Chi-town??!! I just made Jersey!

7. coupedevil

coupedevil

Headed out now. Hopefully we will have no problems with the truck, and see everyone next Friday on the Salt

8. Monday and Tuesday we spent our days with Dan (Danimal) and his wife Edie and boys Courtland and Eli. We had a great time wandering around their goat and sheep farm and checking out all of their cool cars and animals and pets of all shapes and sizes!

We tinkered a little bit with Court's '54 Pick 'Em Up Truck, pickin' through piles of automotive gold, and talking about all things AD related! We were treated to some great eats from the local diner with the whole family and then the tour of all the cool cars that inhabit their quaint little village in Michigan.

We hit the Henry Ford Museum and drooled over the exquisite display of not just Fords, but all makes and models including the presidential “death” limos and one of the fifty one Tuckers in the world. Which, from this HAMBers point of view, was completely disgraced and dishonored by the Henry Ford Museum! It was wedged in like a slice of Wisconsin cheddar between a Shoebox and some kind of military Jeep … with no possibility of getting a good photo of it! Quite disappointing! They had a wacky All State Safety Vehicle which was sitting in the middle of a huge square display so getting a good look at it's wackiness was not possible. The Bugati at the beginning of the car exhibit hall was STUNNING, which, by the way, I was a bit taken back learning that it was made in Munich Germany … being an Italian car and all! Well, maybe that's what makes it special.

Oh … if you get there right at opening time … 0930 … you can help the museum employees build a Model T! They take it apart every morning at 0830 and then put it back together every single day! That, had we known, would have been AMAZING!!!! So, if you're planning a trip to the Henry Ford Museum anytime soon … get there at 0930 and and then to the left where the exhibit rooms are … BUILD A MODEL T!

All in all, the Henry Ford Museum is definitely worth the $15 entrance fee. The planes, trains and automobiles plus furniture, pop culture and futuristic aluminum dome house (Dymaxion House engineered in the 20's) and lots 'o cool stuff … go see it!

Here are a few pics and a link to photobucket where there other 200+ pictures are posted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g195/customhotrod/Bonneville and Beyond 2010/?start=0

See ya out there!

Klaus and Cindy

9. Wednesday … it was pouring in Chicago when we woke up so we decided to scratch the sightseeing and give Andy, Suicide Axle Garage, a call and take the hour trip northwest from our motel to SICKamore IL and have a look at Andy's projects and to catch up from our last visit.

Lots of cool projects underway in Suicide Axle garage … Mike Z's 32 Ford Coupe, a sweet looking '36 Ford Woody, a Merc that basically is sitting in the same place as it was 3 years ago (I think the owner ran out of money), a '59-60 Buick in bare metal and a couple more coupes waiting their turn for Andy's attention.

Since we are custom builders, Andy thought we might get a little bored just looking at the hot rod's in progress in the shop so he loaded us up into his SUV with Justin and drove us a few minutes to his house where we saw an incredible build in progress! A Shoebox sporting a WICKED channel and section, an outside of the box headlamp treatment topping a Winfield grill grafted into the stock grill ends, a sweet custom dash and center console ... actually, the whole car is a one off custom fabrication with every piece of the car being altered in some way or another. Every detail of this Shoebox is thought through in a way that it COULD HAVE POSSBILY come out of the Ford factory this way. After drooling over this superb craftsmanship we decided to head over to a local watering hole for some eats and some jaw jacking. Catching up on three years of stuff takes a little time, so we completely ruined the guys work afternoon but they humored us, and we appreciated it!

As we headed back into Chicago, we gave Mike Z a call and asked him to get together with us for a drink or 20 at the Hala Kahiki Tiki Bar. Where we sat and shot the shit for a few hours. Mike and his wife convinced us to stay in Chicago another day and go to visit Voodoo Larry and then meet them at the Big C Jamboree show at Martyr's Thursday night. So being good little tourists, we didn't need much coaxing to stay in town! We said goodnight around midnight since it was a school night … and headed back to the motel for a good nights sleep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thursday's gonna be a great day … so tune in for the next installment!

Keep shakin' the shack kids!

Klaus and Cindy

10. Cool ass pics and cool story man. I have always wanted to go to that museum.Im a lil disapointed you didnt post a pic of the Goldenrod (I think it is still there) :) since you are going to Bonneville.

11. metalhotrodgirl

metalhotrodgirl

:) :) wow you guys are seeing lots of cool things along the way :) cant wait to see you hopefully we can cross paths at the salt, miss ya guys

12. abomber30

abomber30
    from syc, ILL

it was great to see you guys again thanks for stoping buy and best of luck and good times on your trip.

13. Cindy, Klaus -- great seeing both of you again! And after those drinks at Hala Kahiki, great seeing all 4 of you. Keep safe, keep the shiny side up and enjoy the rest of your adventure.

14. JeffSled ... just for you man ...

[​IMG]

This could have been missed ... because of it's placement! I didn't think we captured a great photo of it ... so we didn't post it in the original post, but it was certainly there and certainly awesome to see and watch the short video.

See ya out there!

Klaus

15. ryno

ryno

if you head down rt 66 into joplin mo hit me up,if not have a safe trip.

16. First, we gotta say THANKS MIKE for coaxing us into staying in Chicago for another day!

Thursday was AWESOME for my amateur but gourmet chef of a wife and me for the custom car builder! We had read about a gourmet hot dog place called HOT DOUG'S in Chicago that serve among other things a Foie Gras sausage and it was a MUST to eat there. There was a warning on the web site that it could take up to three hours to order and eat in this joint, standing in line outside in whatever weather happens to be that day. So we decided to be there when the doors opened at 10:30am in the hopes of cheating a long line. And I'm happy to report that it worked, we didn't wait much longer than a half hour to order. We'd be remiss in not encouraging you TO WAIT IN WHATEVER LINE THERE IS! It's TOTALLY worth it!

We ordered four Gourmet Dogs … from the specials … and they were as follows:

[​IMG]

Chipotle & Cilantro Smoked Chicken Sausage with Pineapple Kiwi Salsa and Habanero Jack Cheese.
    Foie Gras & Sauternes Duck Sausage with Truffle Aioli, Foie Gras Mousse and Fleur de Sel.
    Smoked Shrimp & Pork Sausage with Cajun Remoulade and Moody Blue Cheese.
    Sonoran Dog Jalapeno and Cheddar Beef Sausage with Jalapeno Mayo, Jalapeno Bacon, Pinto Beans, Tomatoes and Onions.

They all were DE-LIC-IOUS! Doug threw in a half order of fries which we could not eat, but we of course tasted. Four dogs between two people was definitely too much, but even if you don't eat the bread … you have to sample more than just one dog! We were do delighted with these amazing encased meats ...that we went back Friday morning on our way of of town! We ordered our favorite two from Thursday (Shrimp & Pork and the Sonoran) and then tried two more dogs which were …

Ribeye Steak Sausage with Black Garlic Aioli and Double Creme Brie Cheese.
    Cognac Infused Lamb & Pork Sausage with Spinach Raita and Manchego Cheese.

For those of you local Chicago HAMBers who have never been there … GO! It's a gourmet meal stuffed conveniently in an edible case! If you will be in Chicago … make this a MUST do restaurant! Totally worth the wait, however long it is!

Then fat, dumb and extremely happy we drove to Schaumberg, IL to visit Voodoo Larry Kustoms. When we arrived Voodoo Larry had stepped out of the shop but we were greeted by Shaun, the shops only other employee, who showed us around and answered any questions we had. Then Voodoo Larry returned and was a very gracious and giving host!

There is a special guest at the Voodoo Larry Kustom shop … it's the one and only HOT ROD LINCOLN! Voodoo Larry has been presented with the honor and might I add TASK of restoring this historic vehicle! He walked us through the history and the changes made over the years and showed us some of the totally HOT ROD things Charlie Ryan had done in the original build … like using an orange extension cord for the headlamp wiring and regular household wires in the handmade wiring harness. Voodoo Larry will of course use proper wiring for the restoration … but to see that already back then Hot Rodders were using whatever they had available to get their ride on the road was pretty cool!

For those of you who don't know, Hot Rod Lincoln was probably the first frame swapped car, or at least the first known, built in 1949, as the Ford A body sits on a shortened Lincoln frame. I always thought it looked a little awkward in pictures and now I have learned that the symmetry is off because of the lengthened front end … but it's so amazing to have had the privilege of seeing, photographing and learning about this iconic, in more ways than just the obvious, hot rod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Besides the star visitor, Hot Rod Lincoln, Voodoo Larry also has a '29 Oldsmobile that once was owned by Al Capone. That's getting a bad ass Duval-like Voodoo Larry windscreen not to mention the full Voodoo treatment. There were no less than 6 hot rods awaiting the Voodoo touch, plus a pretty bad ass early 60's GMC truck that was just getting some finishing touches, a '50 Buick that is Voodoo Larry's not a customers, an early 60's Cadillac, a couple of Belly Tanks for Voodoo Larry's Bonneville racer project and an amazing collection of hub caps, steering wheels, valve covers, axles and bumpers gracing the walls and ceiling of this killer hot rod shop! Definitely the cleanest shop we've ever been in! It felt more like a showroom than a custom shop! So to know that some of the most bad ass hot rods and customs from the mid west come out of this shop is a credit to Voodoo Larry's amazing organization and ultra high work standards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At one point in the conversation, I think it was when I was looking through the build book of Voodoo Kreeper, we started talking about flame throwers … and of course Voodoo Larry is KNOWN for his flame throwing capabilities! He actually sold us a set of Model T coils to equip Lady Luck with flame throwers, Voodoo Larry style!

If you're in the Chicago area and haven't visited Voodoo Larry Kustoms you're missing out! Do it! And do it while Hot Rod Lincoln is there. NOTE: They will be moving shop to a larger location shortly – which means in the next few weeks, but the address and phone number now and the new place are/will be on his website http://www.voodoolarrykustoms.com/ Go see Voodoo Larry … one helluva nice guy and amazing car mind!

[​IMG]

Thanks a million Voodoo Larry and Shaun for the tour of the shop, the time and the friendship! We'll be back someday … and if you're ever in Scandinavia … come see us!

We're off to Iowa and Nebraska now ... if anyone is gonna be in their garage this weekend and want some visitors ... let us know! We need stuff to do before we hit the Speedway museum on Monday!

See ya out there ...

Klaus and Cindy

17. Well we made it to the last bump in the road in Iowa, Council Bluffs! Anybody wanna hang? Give us a buzz! 856 419 3721

See you out there

Klaus & Cindy

18. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Cindy, Hot Rods, and Food! I think these are a few of Klaus' favorite things!! Great to see the links.

19. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Cindy and Klaus..... it is so good to see you're having fun!!
    Klaus, got your PM.... thanks my friend ;-)

20. Southfork

Southfork

Klaus, I hope to see you and Cindy on the Salt. Got your cell phone number from Traditional Hotrods-DK forum. Good Luck!

21. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

Cindy & Klaus!
    ...have fun! same to you Jack!
    -palle

22. WOW !!!! Thanks for posting this picture !!! I want to see
    this in person so bad,I think it is just breathtaking and I have been told that no other streamliner since has sounded as good as this did going 415mph + on the salt. Thanks for the pic. Be Safe .

23. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

4x426? Yeah, I bet she sounded like a beast at 400+! They should have made a better salt display so people understand what the Goldenrod and all the rest are running on.

24. Sunday, wasn't very exciting … we did laundry! Woohoo! Clean clothes is a good thing. We had some lunch at Quaker Steak & Lube. First time, and great wings – I'm not sure if they are actually the “best wings in USA”, but they were good. On the drive from Omaha to Lincoln, we did a little vintage shopping at an antique mall. There was some awesome vintage wares in this place! We could have easily spent tons 'o cash in this joint. Seriously. We killed a few hours in the AC instead of driving in the 110 degree heat of the day. Then we chilled in our room and watched a movie. Nothing thrilling at all.

Monday, August 9. We hit the Museum of American Speed and Speedway. We took over 500 pictures … but we've been asked not to post them on the web without permission, so below is our PhotoBucket link where we've uploaded all of our photos so far and you can look at the museum pics there.

http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g195/customhotrod/Bonneville and Beyond 2010/

But man, can I say, without a shadow of a doubt, that this place was UNBELIEVABLE!!!! For those of you who haven't been yet … when folks tell you you HAVE to see this place … it's true, you HAVE to see this place! Speedy Bill's personal collection of everything and anything car related offered up in one huge museum. Bill's Garage was worth the entry fee alone for these two HAMBers but they threw in two entire floors more of awesomeness!!! We got to see another Tucker … number 24/51 to be exact. This time we could get close enough to kiss it if we wanted to … although we didn't! Ha ha! But it was showcased in the manner in which is SHOULD have been!

We met up with the Rolling Bones (both from Massachusetts and Ohio) for the tour. Awesome guys. We all took the “fast paced” tour because we had 4 hours of driving to do after the tour. It was great meeting these guys and we look forward to drinking a few beers with them on the salt.

On our drive to Ogallala Nebraska we flew by two things that had been mentioned we moght want to stop and check out.

1) Going Westbound on I80 … just before exit 257 Elm Creek. There's a showroom (old car dealership establishment we're guessing) filled with classic cars. So if you want to check it out … take exit 257 and then follow the surface road east to the building.
    2) Going Eastbound on I80 … just after exit 248 there is yard full of old trucks. Maybe upwards to 20 or so. All lined up and patina-ed to perfection, just waiting for the passersbys cameras to give them a little attention.

We stopped for the night in Ogallala Nebraska, and we'll be getting an early start to meet old school HAMBer FlatHeadGuy and check out his shop. And then we're moving on to the Denver area where we'll catch up with AussieSteve and check out Chip Foose's Impression that's at Steve's shop! It's gonna be cool.

The heat FINALLY broke about 60 miles from Ogallala … THANK GOD! The temperature dropped 17 degrees in the span of 60 miles and 45 minutes. Thank god for the storm that rolled through.

Well, that's all for now. Gonna get a good nights sleep. We're just a few days from the Start of Speed Week! Woohoo!

Until then … see ya out there kids!

Klaus & Cindy

25. Sounds like a good trip. I wanted to see your pictures from Speedy Bills museum, but i cant get the link to work.
    Im looking forward to your next story.
    Lars

26. I'm sorry Lars, but you have to give it a few minutes to upload, there's a lot of pics there!

Here's a link to the "home" page of our Photobucket, then just click the Bonneville and Beyond folder. Oh ... and a quick note ... we are taking pictures with TWO cameras, the trusty old, little Canon digital and the giant and awesome Nikon D5000 ... so there are two different pics of things from different view points.

http://s56.photobucket.com/home/customhotrod/index

Enjoy!

27. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

See you on the salt! Look for a blue suede stude with a huge reverse cowl scoop #4594 and have a cool drink!

28. Great stuff! Keep it coming! See you on the Salt and at the Bend.

29. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

I had the great pleasure of having Klaus and Cindy visit my airport shop this morning. I have always attempted to be a great host, but, try as I might, these two were far better guests. After just a few moments I felt as though I had known them for years.
    We chatted about a lot of different subjects and I, for one, had a wonderful time.
    If all the visiting H.A.M.B. connections are similar to this then any and all are more than welcome to drop in any time.
    K and C.....have a super great and safe trip!!
    And thanks for the visit!!

30. That worked a lot better
    Thanks
    Lars