Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Williamsburg VA. Vacation ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Aug 3, 2010.

1. My family and I are heading to Williamsburg VA. next week. I know it's a longshot but is there anything interesting there for a gearhead to do? Also can any locals on here recommend any decent places to eat?

Thanks
    <!-- / message -->

2. kingpins

kingpins

Nathan's sea food by the water front is good. nothing for a gear head to do....hope you like pottery's and colonial ships.

3. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

I used to eat at the Cheese Shop (sandwiches), Giuseppe's (Italian) and Pierce's Pitt (BBQ) quite a bit when I lived there. Good luck figuring out how to get to Pierce's though. Took me months to find the road, even though you can see it from the interstate. The last time I visited, I had a huge plate o' pork products & sauerkraut at the Blue Talon Bistro.

4. 59 brook

59 brook

there is a place called the great wolf lodge it is a little pricey but includes an indoor water park that is a lotta fun. and there is tons of stuff for the kids and even kid themed rooms like treehouses and stuff. didnt get to do much car stuff as it was a family vacation with the neices nephews brothers kids etc just a lotta historical stuff

5. 'Nuther vote for Pierce's BBQ <www.pierces.com>. It's in Lightfoot, on the frontage road next to I-64 between exit #234 and #238.

Post this in the VA HAMB social group or PM HAMBer "JackandDeuces" for car-related stuff in the area. He and some friends used to meet regularly for Saturday breakfasts in Newport News.

6. Since the subject came up,,,Do they still have the Rod Run in Colonial Williamsburg?

i remember it was pretty popular back in the early 80's.HRP

7. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

If you do go, rent one of the old colonial houses inside of colonial Williamsburg. Some of the houses are actually for rent. I think it is done through the main hotel there. My wife and I did that a couple of years back and much cooler than staying in a hotel. And you can park near the houses too. And then you can just walk around colonial Williamsburg whenever you want or just kick back and relax at the house. Don't worry, the houses have AC and modern stuff like bathrooms and beds not made out of straw.

But, yeah, I don't recall seeing much in the way of old car stuff. Too new for around there, way too new, LOL. Traditional is a whole different level there. But, my nieces and nephews never wanted to leave that water park place they were staying at. Couldn't get them out of that place.

Second on that BBQ place. We went there and food was pretty good. I can't say it was award winning BBQ, but not bad giving most other choices around there. It is just down the road from the water park hotel, yes, on a side road to the highway.

If you go, I think you probably need to give up on the cars for a bit and just enjoy it for what it is. And then if you see anything, it's just a bonus.

edit: yeah, The Great Wolf Lodge, that's it. Has a giant indoor water park inside the hotel.

8. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Yes, this was my 36th year ,but not what it once was.....

9. When do they have the run? HRP

10. Ditto.
    Not exactly a haven for traditional rods. But if one had the time to just drive around the back roads and explore you never know what you'll find out in the "ruburbs" ( rural suburbs).
    Just last Sunday I was heading back to N.Va.up Rt.1 just north of Richmond and saw a few nice cars parked by some little houses by the roadside..all within a few miles of each other,some gathering rust. Best one was a '58 Thunderbird in red oxide primer..
    preceded by a two tone green & white '57 Fairlane. Later saw a tomato red '63 Corvair & a '64 Mustang..both w/ "For Sale" signs.